“Over-The-Top Service!!”

and 1 more site!
York Lodge
Ranked #174 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed for four nights in August in the single room [#3]. Very comfortable, and, strangely enough from reading other reviews, I did not notice a single cigarette smell anywhere! Very sensitive to this to as I do not smoke, and cannot stand the smell. EXCELLENT breakfast with wonderful, helpful, and kind service. Went out of their way to make you feel welcome. Then, when my mother arrived from Portsmouth [I live in the US], having forgotten her medication, the kitchen staff, one person in particular, went out of her way to contact a local hospital/walk-in center, speak to a nurse, get a doctor on the phone - and stayed on top of the situation until everything was taken care of. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: If you anticipate having several bags, I would request one of the 1st floor rooms - only one (and a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 September 2013

arrived at the b&b to be told we had been double booked and they had no vacancies,(great start to our anniversary)the owner was away and a lovely lady was housesitting,she went down the street looking for us a room but the only one available was with a shared bathroom which i didnt want,so she let us use her computer to find somewere to stay.The housesitter was lovely and very apologetic,Thought the owner may have rang on his return to offer his apologies,but upto now heard nothing.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

absolutely disgusting, Feeling like smoking 40 cigaretts in one hour, when entering the hotel. Dirty blankets, dirty shower. Saying "my love" and "Darling" at the breakfast doesn't make it better at all. It's just more disgusting. Never ever again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Made to feel.very welcome. Nothing to much trouble for the staff. Travelled with my hubby who had recently had a knee operation we were moved into a room on the first floor. We had a room.with a shower cubicle which was quite small. Room was clean and off a good size. If you have walking difficuties you may find the walk into the centre could take 25 mins not 10 mins as stated on website
Was able to.park.outside the hotel provided with parking permit. Good value for money lots of choice at breakfast. The property can be a little noisy you could hear conversations from other rooms.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked this accommodation for a party of 8 (four couples) for two nights, as we were going to the races. Everyone agreed that the rooms were comfortable and all were quite happy with their accommodation. My request for a room on a lower floor was granted and my husband and I stayed in room 1, which is a twin room, with the benefiit of a bath and shower over the bath. I know that some rooms only have a shower, but all were en suite and the water was very hot, so no issues with cold showers as has happened in other hotels. As requested I telephoned the night before to advise our arrival time, the owner was very pleasant and thanked me for letting him know. On arrival he met us at the door, welcomed us in and we registered, we were handed a parking permit and given the room keys and information about breakfast times and which key opened the outer door. There was a good stock of tea, coffee, milk etc. A hairdryer was also supplied, although I always travel with my own, so I did not use it. The rom was clean and tidy, it was not huge, but was perfeclty acceptable, there was also a fan, which was much appreciated because the weather was warm. Our breakfast on both mornings was served with a smile and was very good, all freshly prepared to order, with lots of choice of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts etc. and as much tea and toast as you could manage. Tony, the owner was extremely good natured on the Saturday evening, when most of our party returned early to the hotel, but three of us stayed out, having forgotten to keep at least one outer door key, which meant we had to ring the bell to be admited to the Lodge. He had every right to be annoyed, but he accepted our apology with goood grace and said "these things happen".

My experience was certainly different from that of some other reviewers on this site, I saw no evidence of a miserable owner or cigarette smoking staff. We enjoyed our stay, the Lodge is well located, close to the centre of York and a short taxi ride from the racecourse, or a leisurely walk if you are so inclined. I would stay here again and would recommend it to others.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Just returned from a two night stay with my husband. Location of the guest house was great, just 10 mins walk to the Minster and close to all the city attractions. The room was basic but clean and comfortable. Room décor was fine, however the décor through the house and dining room was quite tired and dated and could benefit from redecoration.

Breakfast was hot and plentiful and service was quick and friendly. On the negative side, room to the rear of the property, not the quietest late nights and early mornings.

Room Tip: Request a room towards the front of the hotel. Even 2nd floor room to the rear was noisy, think thi...
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Firstly, as the other reviewers say the owner is so miserable and in welcoming it makes you want to turn around straight away. Secondly, cigarette smoke. The whole place stinks of it, the staff being the culprits. This is even worse when they smoke in the kitchen whilst serving breakfast. Very hard to enjoy food with the smoke coming in. Lastly, the room. Paper thin walls, you can hear snoring, conversations, tv, etc making a lie in or early night impossible. Also, we stayed in room 7 were the shower is in the bedroom without a door so privacy is minimal. If you read this and book anyway, you deserve all you get!!

• Stayed: July 2013