“fantastic hotel”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 29 August 2011

me and my husband stopped here for 2 nights for our anniversary i can not praise the hotel enough the room was warm and very cosy with a lovely 4poster bed which was very comfy . The bathroom was very luxurious and clean,even the breakfast was fabulous . the staff are very helpful and polite .I would recommend this hotel to anyone and i am sure we will be back soon

Room Tip: we had room 509 and where impressed

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Far too much horribleness to mention but we found the rooms dirty and some including the loft suite with heavily stained carpets. The service throughout was shockingly poor and the staff indifferent to their guests including the management who were rude and unapologetic for their lack of politeness and professionalism when running a wedding reception for a small number of guests at their hotel. To say it is a Boutique Hotel is stretching the imagination at the end of the day! More like an expensive run down B&B.

Room Tip: Check them first and test all the amenities to make sure they work!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank DieselCambridge
ShaneDisney-Manager, Owner at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Mrs Turner, (Dieselcambridge)

We very much appreciate your feedback on your experience at Marmadukes. I have never responded to a review as I feel responses could be taken the wrong way.

However, I feel extremely compelled and believe it is only appropriate that I respond. My team really worked hard for your small group at Marmadukes but seemed to fail suddenly as soon as you became excessively intoxicated.

In summary you were extremely abusive and utterly disrespectful to the management and team. Your behaviour was totally unacceptable and resulted in several other guests in residence commenting and a high number of your party apologising for you. You may recall you even apologised to several of the staff including myself and gave your reasons. None of these reasons had any assoisiation with your experience with us. You may recall screaming at the manager that you would be submitting a poor review.

The one thing we try our very best to do is provide a fantastic, genuine and personal service and we care about our guests that stay with us. At times their may be issues but we will always do are best to make things right.

I am very sorry that you feel the day was a disaster. I have to agree, but in defence of my team this was the outcome of your behaviour.

(I would kindly ask anyone reading to also visit booking.com and late rooms reviews on Marmadukes for a true reflection of our hotel)

There are always two sides to a story.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

We live in York but wanted a hotel where we could stay the night before my wedding and the groom and I the night of as well as our guests. We chose Marmadukes, one reason because it was so close to our wedding venue (museum gardens) but also because they were great. In the lead up to the wedding Jodie could not do enough for us she was very helpful whenever I called. Our stay was also great, we had the loft suite as I needed the space for bridesmaids to get ready with me aswell as my make up and hair ladies. The suite was fab really spacious, massive shower & had a cosy feel to it. The staff working over the 2 days of our wedding didn't dissapoint either, the manageress was lovely and very attentive to ensure I had everything I needed on the morning of the big day. When we rolled up in the early hours after our wedding with residents and non residents this was not a problem and everyone was made to feel welcome in the bar where we sat having a night cap or 2! In addition, the breakfast is yummy!! I recommend this hotel they contributed to us having a fantastic wedding day and night!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Sm1ggy
Reviewed 24 August 2011

my wife and I used this hotel for a three night stay when visiting York and the surrounding area. The room was comfortable with antique furniture, relatively spacious and coffee making facilities were available. There was a small flat screen TV which had no sound when we arrived but was quickly fixed by the friendly staff. Breakfast was good, full english available. The location was good, in a cul-de-sac and only 5 minute walk to the centre of York. That was useful as there are no evening meals available. The only negative point was the limited parking which meant that you could get hemmed in by other cars and have to wait for them to be moved.

1  Thank bandv2010
Reviewed 22 August 2011

After reading some of the other reviews on here, I find it hard to believe we stayed in the same hotel. Marmadukes is a beautiful building with charming rooms, I had no complaints what so ever. The staff were all very friendly and extremely helpfull. We got room upgrades with it being a special occassion, and ours was perfect. Breakfast was included in the price and was great with a good variety of choices.

We will definately be staying again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel and were dissappointed that the room was dusty and shabby. There wasn't a wardrobe in the room, just a cupboard that was chest height. No drawers either. There were marks up the wall and the floor  (laminate) was very dusty.

The mattress was the worst point as it was very thin and old. Not only could you feel the bottom of the bed through it but springs were all sticking up. Very uncomfortable! When we complained the manager was very unsympathetic and uninterested.

Most of the rooms do not have showers and just a bath which is not to everyone's liking/needs.

When we asked if we could move rooms we were told that we would need to pay to upgrade! That room didn't have a shower either.

With some difficulty we managed to persuade the sullen manager to let us check out a day early (my husband has back problems and just couldn't spend another night being so uncomfortable). We then stayed at The Churchill down the road which was not only cheaper but also much more comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank PeeBee33
Reviewed 12 August 2011

stayed on the 10th aug for 1 night, the room was very spacious and clean as was the bathroom so cant complain about that. The breakfast menu had a great choice and was very tasty and when going to check out, helen on reception couldnt of been more help. Will certainly be staying again when visting york. All round great value for money/