“Lovely”

Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Redcar
“Lovely”
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here again for husbands birthday, braved the Floods and had lovely time. Stayed in a four poster room this time which was roomier than the standard room so worth paying a little extra. The room even had a balcony which would have been nice if a little warmer. All in all lovely stay we will be back.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank holiday5redcar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
PULBOROUGH
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel in June and it seemed to us not really to be finished. We asked for a bottle of champagne on arrival from the bar and they literally only had one bottle which was not even cold. We decided to sit in the garden which desperately needed mowing and basically looked as if everything was still packed away from the winter! Our room, although newly furbished lacked hangers, we had two between us, and one drawer! We did ask for more hangers but apparently there were no more available. The bathroom door and toilet door did not shut properly let alone lock. On the plus side, it was only a short walk into the centre of York which was absolutely beautiful.

Unfortunatley, however the place seemed under staffed although the young lady that served us did her best. I don't think we'll be going there again, which is a shame because the building was lovely and it has the potential to be a great little hotel but at the moment it desperately needs some TLC.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CAROLINE B
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I haven't actually stayed at Marmadukes... and I'll explain why.

My boyfriend and I were looking for a sweet and elegant hotel to stay in for short get-away in October and I came across the Marmadukes website. Upon looking at their special offers, I noted that there was an option for 'Dinner, Bed and Breakfast' - I have now learned not to believe all that you see!

I called as I was slightly confused by the booking process and spoke to a very nice girl who advised me that this option included £30 to spend at their partner restaurants and advised me to book it online.

Ahead I went booking online and received my confirmation that had no mention of the dinner, other than a reservation. Slightly concerned, I emailed however I didn't receive a response. Again, I called to see if I could get confirmation of what I had originally been advised and was assured that my dinner was included within the cost of the room. I asked for this to be noted in writing, so that I had something to at least offer the restaurant and was advised that I would be sent an email.

Having not heard anything since then, I was considering calling again; however I received a call from the reservations manager. I must admit, since I had received no confirmation of this dinner inclusion, I was not surprised to be advised that dinner was not included.

The only reason I chose Marmadukes was because we were assured that dinner was included. I asked what the cancellation policy was and fortunately I have up to 3 days before our stay to cancel my booking, however I will NOT be refunded my booking fee as this is NON-refundable. (Despite the fact that I was miss-lead, told incorrect information and wouldn't have booked or paid the deposit had I known dinner was not included)

I would have fully accepted liability had I have booked it online without calling and misinterpreted 'Dinner, Bed and Breakfast' however I was told on numerous occasions that dinner was included over the telephone.

When I asked if the whole process could be seen from my point of view, I was advised 'yes', however nothing was offered and as a slap in the face I was even advised that the rate I had booked the room at was already discounted...

Basically, I paid to be told incorrect information.

I would have rather thrown my money down the drain, then to pay for this kind of service.

7 Thank JakGibson
Tashia M, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
We apologise again for what was a break down in communication due to a recent change in our online booking facilities and our receptionist not being fully up to speed with these changes.
Our intention was never to mislead and contrary to stealing from this guest a complimentary stay was offered and accepted as a further apology.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Lovely "boutique" hotel what ever that means! An old house with every room different. Very good value Sunday night stay 2 x B+B £80. Lovely breakfast few mins walk into Petergate. There were a few things that weren't, 4 star, 2 x light fitting in bathroom hanging out of fittings, bath panel broken silly things but ....anyway a good hotel good location but ambitious 4 star.

2 Thank oowweenn
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

Nice-ish decor, ok location if you dont mind a ten minute walk into town. Overpriced on a sunday and monday at £111 for a 4 poster room (meant to be on offer), it would be more appropriately priced nearer the £80 mark and if that had been the case I wouldn't be writing this review, as it is this hotel does not offer accomadation consistent or reflective of their prices regardless of the location. I wish I'd booked Hotel du Vin for an extra £20 a night.
Location quiet apart from bin lorries each morning at stupid o'clock.
I booked this as a birthday getaway with my partner and understand that York has a very traditional offering when it comes to hotels but I certainly wouldn't class this as a boutique hotel.
The furniture needs attention, our bed creaked very loudly every time you moved which was annoying when you were just lying on it and frankly a passion killer if you were on a romantic break, something that was too embarrassing to complain about in person.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank SarMarni
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I will admit that after reading some of the reviews about Marmadukes on this and other sites, I was more than a little apprehensive and to be honest even after I'd made the booking I was very unsure.

York was a city both my girlfriend and I were visiting for the first time for pleasure coupled with the fact that we were also celebrating her birthday, I can be excused for wanting the place we were going to be staying in for 2 nights to be perfect.

However, I will start by saying that every correspondence that I had after confirming the booking to organise little extras etc was very efficient, friendly and utterly professional.

We arrived, having booked parking in advance. There is limited parking space and we were advised to book a space when we booked our room and even though all the spaces were filled, there were no issues, the over booked space was simply an oversight, we were told where to park our car and leave the key in reception and if the car was needed to be moved the staff would take care of it until a space became available - so, no problem there, in fact, on the first morning there our car was moved into an empty space where it stayed until we left on Sunday morning.

We had booked a deluxe room. Another of the many complaints raised were about room size, facilities etc etc and so, again, I was a little dubious. BUT - OK, the room wasn't the size of a football pitch but it was very tastefully decorated with carved bedsteads, matching chairs and other furniture. The bathroom had a beautiful roll top bath which we both enjoyed a long soak in after walking around the city for most of the day on Saturday. There was more than ample tea/coffee etc in the room as well as mineral water, both still and sparkling. The only complaint was that the bed desperately needed a new mattress, neither of us slept badly but it was a very very soft mattress which didn't really give us the soundest sleep, also, our neighbours were the rudest most inconsiderate I have ever encountered but you can't legislate for bad manners can you ??

Breakfast was, again, excellent and we didn't experience the same things as many of the reviews I had read, our waitress on Saturday morning was attentive, polite and very efficient, breakfast (the veggie option) arrived in good time and was well presented and very tasty. Our Sunday waitress was a little surly and we didn't get toast but otherwise the full english, whilst not as good as we have had elsewhere, was more than adequate, well cooked and presented.

The receptionists we had dealings with were all extremely efficient, polite and genuinely friendly and helpful.

The hotel arranged a bouquet of flowers on my behalf for my girlfriend and I did think that the cost was a little steep however, the quality of the bouquet was exemplary and I very much doubt that I would have gotten anything similar for much, if any less elsewhere ad I organised from somewhere such as interflora etc, so again, a lovely service for which i didn't feel as if I had paid through the nose, the chocolates, however, were extremely bad value for money, 4 for £6.00 was more than a little steep, nice, yes but at a quid fifty per choc I wish I'd gone to thorntons !!!!

All of that said, we had a lovely stay and it is a lovely place, at least we thought so. Would we stay again, yes without hesitation.

It is a 15 minute walk away from the city and being blessed with a beautiful weekend of lovely warm and dry weather it couldn't have been better situated. We were even advised by the receptionist that parking outside was free all day on Sunday so we didn't even have the hassle of moving the car and hunting for parking elsewhere.

So, I will send my thanks to ALL at Marmadukes for a truly lovely stay, and I would say to anyone thinking of staying, don't believe all you read. We don't expect 5 star accommodation for £86.00/night but we do expect value for money and pleasant and comfortable surroundings and that's exactly what we got.

2 Thank John N
Brough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Visited this hotel in February 2012.

Cost. Very reasonable due to there being an offer on.
Staff. Helpful & friendly
Room. Antique furniture & bed offer lovely aesthetics, although I didn't find the bed to be very comfortable. Lovely roll-top bath and bathroom furniture, but no shower. No frosted glass in the bathroom window so you need to have the blind down when using the bathroom.
Breakfast. Wonderful choice, wonderful taste, excellent full english.

Would visit again if paying the same offer rate, possibly wouldn't visit at full price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple