“Dirty damp and dark rooms. Very disappointing.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marmadukes Town House Hotel

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
Bremen, Germany
“Dirty damp and dark rooms. Very disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

I travel 50% with work so it's fair to say I experience a spectrum of hotels. This is amongst the worst. Decor is ok, but tired. The poor cleanliness of the rooms completely ruin the hotel. Dusty, dirty fixtures. I have had cleaner bathrooms in Youth hostels. The was no ventilation in the bathroom and mold and mildew were rampant. Poor lighting didnt help, but thankfully it gelped to hide the grime and silverfish. Shower fittings were broken and the water pressure as little more than a drip.

Breakfast was OK. Eggs were practically raw.

Staff were friendly and helpful but the cleanliness and quality of the rooms make this a place to avoid.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TheGeek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay in York. I got the single room in the annexe. I really should have paid 20 or 30 pounds less for it due to its size but it was a last minute booking. It is small but then I don't think their website suggests otherwise. It reminded me of being back at school, which was no bad thing! A word of caution, the bed is not for people above 5ft 8inches. I say that because my feet definitely reached over the very end when lying straight. The bathroom was nice - a shower with different settings. I can't remember the name of the range of complimentary shower gel etc in there but they smelt and felt lovely.

Breakfast provided a good selection of food, cooked and continental. Although I did think the room should have been bigger. Fortunately, I went down early so got a table but I know that some other people who came in had to try and figure out where to sit. I did wonder what happens if more guests had come down all at the same time! So basically, advice is go to breakfast early.

Reception staff were polite and helpful. I spent a short time in the lounge in the main building which was very relaxing as they have sofas and a TV there. All in all, no complaints although I might go for a bigger room next time!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank chi4u
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

Recently had a stay at Marmadukes paid for for my birthday. I loved everything about it :) The breakfast service was brilliant and rooms were always cleaned. Not a very long walk from the heart of the city :)
Would come here again
Amy and Daniel

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

My husband and I booked Marmadukes Hotel for a weekend break to York through Booking.com. This hotel would not have been the first choice for our stay, as we were originally attracted to the description and photos of 'The Churchill' hotel; however there were no rooms available at The Chruchill within our price range for the dates that we wanted to stay. Marmadukes Hotel seemed to be an obvious but pleasant second option for us as it was in our price range (£110 per night B&B for a deluxe room through booking.com) and its selling points of being antique, romantic; with period features and 'free standing bath' were extremely attractive to us.

Postitives - In terms of location, the hotel was ideal; only a few minutes walk into the main centre. The outside of the hotel is undoubtedly picturesque and the dark furniture and decor style inside is very beautiful. The hotel is clean and the bedding/ fabrics are of comfy quality. The breakfast is plentiful and fresh and comes to a standard. But for us this is where the luxury ended. The following explains why;

- On our arrival the female receptionist was really rude to us. She responded in a manner that was extremely inconvenienced and she offered minimal assistance.

- Our room (517) was not remotely representitive of the photos shown for a 'deluxe room' on booking.com. Our room was small and visually akin to the 'standard double' shown on photos - which is not what we paid for. What we were most disappointed to find was that there was no free standing bath in the bathroom (in the room description it states that 'most deluxe rooms have free standing bath'). While my husband and I appreciate that 'most rooms' does not consitute 'every room', we were surprised to find no bath at all - but a tiny, pokey en-suite, that had cheap tiling, chipped paint and a dated shower cubicle. A far cry from 'boutique'. Not up to standard at all.

- When I politely queried the room type with the (same) receptionist she claimed that we were already in a 'deluxe room' and when I asked if there was a possibility of being located to a slightly bigger room with a bath, she said she could only move us for one night only, so there was no point!

- When we checked out no one asked how we found our stay.

- The bar is never staffed, so you have to ask the receptionist to serve you for a drink which in our experience was met by staff appearing inconvinienced by our request. When I ordered a gin and tonic and asked for a slice of lemon, I was told there wasn't any lemon - but I could see the lemon in the fridge in front of me!

- They charge £5 per day parking which is extortionate!

We rapidly realised that the hotel has no soul; it is not somewhere you can chill out at the end of a day by sitting at the bar or in the drawing room. We popped into the Churchill up the road for a glass of wine and were met with ambience, warmth and hopitality (and a piano player!) We were both regretful that we didnt stay here. We wouldn't recommend this hotel for the amount it charges and the 4 stars in claims to have.

5 Thank carla j
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Lovely hotel in quiet area but close to york city centre, hotel is stylish and rooms are clean tidy and cosy. Our room was in a loft conversion with lovely sky lights, also bed was very comfy. Nice white sheets. The breakfast was amazing!! Great stay, we will be going back very soon.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tashia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Dear Pip,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we were delighted to hear you had such a lovely stay with us. If you wish to come and stay again as you have mentioned in your review we always offer the Best available rate when you book direct with us, and we offer all returning guests 10% off the standard rate.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon,

Kindest regards
The Marmadukes Team
Bridlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed here overnight for a trip to York races and a family reunion the staff were all great even sorted us an early check in nothing was too much trouble would highly recommend this hotel for its friendliness, cleanliness and location.

1 Thank michellebentley08
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed here on the last night of our honeymoon. Room was great with lots of space, comfy bed and large bath with.plenty of hot water and luxury toileteries. Breakfast was excellent. We were also allowed a later check out which was good as our train didn't leave until 2pm. The lounge areas were very tastefully decorated in keeping with the rest of the hotel . The whole hotel was spotless and the staff were very friendly and helpful.. Would definitley recommend and would stay there again if visiting York.

1 Thank aurorab01