“Brilliant Stay. Fantastic value and a perfect romantic break.”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Booked the hotel through secret escapes back in April. for my girlfrend and I's 3rd annivesary which was on the 3rd of July 2013 we found the overall experience overwhelming. The hotel was in a lovely setting, the staff were polite and well mannered. the room was well decorated and looked the part for our romantic get away, although we found the bed a little small. Loved the Victorian style bath. There was wine and flowers in the room for us which I had asked for in advance. The breakfast was the nicest we have ever had. The grounds were lovely and in a perfect location for York City Centre. Only 10mins walk away. The two lounge's were very comfortable and perfect for some quiet time, The bar reminded me of an old fashioned drinking establishment which was ideal for the victorian theme the hotel prides its self on. The down side was no real ale on tap, but we went to the Guy Fawkes in for that, where we also ate. We will definately be coming back again. I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank pw18968
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review
I am delighted that you had such a great stay with us and that we were able to help you celebrate your anniversary. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

There are newer reviews for Marmadukes Town House Hotel

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed here last month in a fabulous four poster room and before we left we had already booked The Loft Suite for 2 nights. We come to York virtually every month and have stayed in numerous places but I don't think we will be going anywhere else now as there is no need "Marmadukes" ticks every box.

It is set in a side street a few minutes walk from the centre of York but I love every second of this scenic pleasant trip in.

The Loft Suite was amazing and it is gorgeous and feels so relaxing and cosy and luxurious it's wonderful. In fact I think it has spoiled us for our future visits and I "want" this now everytime. Don't think "are we going to like it" because in the the tack of Simon Cowell "no you won't like it" you will "love it".....

The staff are very friendly and helpful, it's quirky in a good way,spotlessly clean and the breakfast is faultless.

We have already booked next months visit in the suite.

Thank you again Marmadukes!!!!

Stayed: July 2013
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Thank you for another wonderful review. We know we are doing something right when guests like yourselves return time and again.
We look forward to seeing you next month!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed for one night 30/06/13 and found the whole experience to be brilliant. The small car park was a bargain at £5 for the stay. When we checked in the lady on reception was lovely and took time to show us where we would be for breakfast the next morning. The conservatory dining room was very pleasantly decorated, light and airy. There was a sitting room was was decorated very tastefully and looked a very cosy place to relax with a glass of wine and a newspaper and the bar, open until 2a.m, was very adequate. The room itself (504) was lovely with an adjoining bathroom and huge sash windows. The period furniture was a delight, although the bed did creak a disturbing amount! My one criticism would be the the room came only with stunning roll top bath and a hand held shower attachment which may not have been convenient to everyone. The hotel was fantastic value for money considering its perfect location ten minutes walk away from the city walls and York Minster and the breakfast was gorgeous, setting us up for the rest of the days explorations of the city. I can not wait to go back :)

Room Tip: Pack comfy walking shoes, with so much to explore its a must. Also the Hole in the Wall pub does lov...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much
Should you return to us in the future please request a room with a shower as we do try to accommodate all guests preferences and requests

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We booked this trip through Secret Escapes and felt we had very good value for money. We had a room with a shower as requested and found everything to be very comfortable. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good. We would definitely stay here again and will look out for future deals.

2  Thank 532ChrisS
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please contact us directly for the best prices should you rebook in the future

Reviewed 26 June 2013

We've just stayed at Marmadukes for one night. We had called up earlier in the day to reserve parking which was charged at £5 so that was handy. They took our car keys as we were blocking in a car and they weren't handed back to us on checkout (we had another set so we didn't realise until we got home) and it took them 5 working days to return to us, which was quite inconvenient as they were house keys too and would've only been posted back 1st class had I not have requested some form of postal insurance.
It's a 10 minute walk from York city centre, down one street and you're in the main shopping part.
The hotel itself on first viewing is really beautiful and quite grand. The gardens are nice and secluded too with a garden spa, but this wasn't available on the night we stayed.
The room (515 deluxe double) was quite spacious with beautiful vintage furniture. The bed was very bouncy, almost like a water bed so that was a little odd but we soon got used to it.
The bathroom was pretty, only downsides were there was rust along the shower door which you notice straight away from the toilet and the grouting/sealant was coming away from the bath itself. When showering, I noticed the shower head wasn't moveable, so being tall helped, but i can imagine if you're any smaller than 5"8 you'd be standing in the plug hole with the Victorian style taps between your legs!
Overnight, it was incredibly hot, making it quite difficult to sleep. Our room was also above the kitchen so we were woken up quite early from noise from below.
Breakfast was served quickly and was delicious.
Overall, the staff were very pleasant and helpful and the hotel is beautiful to look at. Only downsides about the stay were how hot it was at night time, but that can't be helped and the slow response time in sending our house/car keys back to us.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologise that we failed to notice your car keys when you left but these were sent first class as soon as we were able
I hope we can welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 26 June 2013

This Could be a great little a hotel, the location is excellent and the rooms were nice, however to call itself a boutique hotel attention to detail has to be far greater, forget the picky things(TV`s from the 80`s) the biggest improvement would be to spend some time on customer service training with the staff. We arrived on Saturday 22/6/13 at 11.30am we approached a young girl on reception who seemed put out by our arrival and was frankly rude, we only wanted to drop our case off and required information about Betty`s, unfortunately she said she wasn`t sure, end of conversation, thankfully when we checked in around 16.00pm we met by a more friendly face called Natasha who was very helpful and informative. Around 18.00pm I went to the bar and asked for a glass of sauvignon blanc, the lady who was friendly said ` i dont know much about wine, is it fizzy or not` I pointed out the one i wanted and just smiled in disbelief that someone working behind a bar had not been trained. There was a wedding that evening however this happened before it got busy. After a great night out in York we arrived back to the hotel at 11.50pm, we were woken up at 2.45am by guests shouting outside the front of the hotel who were sat having a drink outside, surprising in a residential area. The next morning we came down for Breakfast at 9am, I expected it to be busy with wedding guests but it wasn`t, the 3 staff working seemed flustered, but in fairness were polite. My wife and I both ordered an English breakfast, mine came and was ok, a little dry, i completed it and 5 minutes later my wife`s came, which was poor. Two young girls were serving, one had a vest top on and baseball boots? the other had a t shirt with a skull on it? hardly professional for a boutique hotel. I would not recommend this hotel until the service became more professional, disappointing in comparison to others we have stayed in around this price bracket. I don`t blame the staff, the manager should invest more time in them or have higher expectations.

Room Tip: The top floors are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I apologise that your stay did not match your expectations. The receptionist that greeted you is very new and still suffering with nerves. I apologise if this appeared to be rudeness. We had other staff working that weekend that aren't our regular team that were brought in to help us cater for the wedding party and again I apologise if they let us down. I assure you that my regular team are smart and highly capable.
I would love to invite you back for a return visit so you can see us operating to our usual standard. Please contact us directly for a great rate

Reviewed 25 June 2013

we had a short stay the weekend of York races. E Mail communication was fab . The hotel pulled out all the stops to give us our room by 11am (normally 2pm) so we were able to get ready for races rather than travel in our outfits. The Receptionist who was on duty on the morning of Saturday 15th July was a GEM she as extremely busy but was extremely helpful and charming nothing was too much trouble for her. Hotel really lovely, breakfast great ! would definitely stay here again and recommend to others . :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for such positive feedback. I am delighted that you were so impressed with your stay and appreciated the "quirkiness" of our hotel
I hope we can welcome you again in the future