Marmadukes Town House Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$165
US$147
  • Breakfast included
Novotel York Centre(York)(Great Value!)
US$172
US$216
US$180
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$188
US$110
PremierInn.com
1,681 results
All reviewsloft suiteroll top bathyork suitefour posterpark restaurantantique furniturefree standing bathlovely hoteldouble showercity centreminute walkbreakfast was excellentmain buildingposter bedfull englishone night staybeautiful room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed here for 3nights from July 22nd until 25th July.We are four well travelled Friends
and we booked 2four poster rooms which are apparently their best rooms.Our friends changed their room as the first one was cramped, dingy and the bed was small.Their second room was marginally larger and had a balcony which made it feel less cramped.Our room was ok but dark and dingy,the ceiling needed repair where there had been a water leak and there was too much furniture.The wardrobe did not close properly neither did the chest of drawers.The safe had been disabled!!LThe bathroom although quite big was hopeless as the door didn't open fully.There wasn't a decent mirror on the wall, it was impossible to make up or shave as it was so small.There was one tiny bar of soap, why not have one in the sink and one in the bath.We had to ask for extra toilet rolls as there were none in the bathroom, !We had a four poster bed which was ok but the pillows were poor quality and when we asked to change them they could not oblige.The towels were good though.Breakfast was in the conservatory and was quite good.The eggs were cooked well and the service good.The lounges were also comfortable but the lighting so poor.The garden was quite nice also.Parking was fine but we had paid to have a space.We would not stay here again and couldn't believe that it had been nominated for a small hotel award.We thought it was mediocre at best.

Room Tip: Try the loft room,.Maybe that's better
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank b80bb
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The building and grounds of Marmaduke's Hotel were charming, but . . .

We were there during a particularly warm week, and the rooms had no air conditioning nor any fans. Actually, they claimed that every room but ours had a small fan. A previous guest to our room had supposedly packed the fan with them when they left. I don't know if that's true.

When we asked for recommendations for dinner, they only cited their sister inn as a place we might go, and they were not even willing to call them to make a reservation for us when we asked. They told us we didn't need a taxi to get into town as it was only a couple of blocks. Well, the walk into York was much longer than they indicated, and got us into town after many places had stopped serving food. The place we stopped was good, but it was no thanks to Marmaduke's.

The vaunted "hand-made" bed was lumpy and would have been uncomfortable even if the room had been cooler. The duvet cover was torn. The shower didn't drip--it trickled all night.

But the English breakfast was very good and the staff was pleasant if not helpful.

I don't think I would go there again. Charm only goes so far.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carol W
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here for our anniversary , reception was helpful regarding area ... Times for breakfast etc.... As we were travelling with our 18 month old we opted for the apartment ....it was amazing ,spacious,decorative,fridge stocked with bottled water , plenty of choice with coffee,hot chocolate , biscuits etc It was very clean and the cot was clean also ( if anything a high chair would of been a nice extra) unfortunately we had to leave early and breakfast would have been perfect to start at 7 but because it started at 7.30 we had to miss it .. Would definitely stay here again and recommend.

Room Tip: If you want luxury book the apartment
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DEBORAH W
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Marmadukes is in a quiet, tree-lined cul-de-sac and is peaceful and secluded, but still less than ten minutes' walk from the city walls. The rooms are comfortable and well-equipped; my own one was larger with a spacious bathroom, which had a big window and lots of natural light. The beds were very comfortable.The family had four rooms and although I seemed to have landed the best one, they were all comfortable and liked by all of us. I very much enjoyed the period feel the hotel has throughout, helped by attractive period furniture.. It is well cared-for, clean and pleasant . We did not come by car, and walked to and from the railway station - there is a track that leads directly onto the platform.The hotel staff were exceptionally helpful, and were happy to assist in any way they could. Breakfast was excellent, and served in a pleasant dining room with a generous menu. We only had one night in York, but wished we could have stayed longer. We will certainly come back. Thank you, Marmadukes, for a very happy stay.

Room Tip: The de luxe doubles vary in size and you may want to ask for a larger one. There are two buildings side by side, so if you are a family group, you may want to ask to be in one of them rather than split up into both. We booked through Secret Escapes so had very good value indeed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Carolyn N
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the nature of our hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I would urge you to think twice before you book this hotel -especially if it is in aid of a special celebration or treat. We booked the hotel for ourselves and some of our wedding guests for two evenings and although the interior looks charming and tastefully decorated on the website unfortunately the reality is somewhat disappointing.

The attitude of the staff was at best complacent, there was not even the effort of a 'congratulations' or a card in the room, (even though the bridesmaids, ushers, best man, groom, and bride were all seen in our outfits the day of the wedding), nor was it cleaned whilst we were there. We were very disappointed when we got back to the hotel on the night of the wedding.

I work in hotel design and have been fortunate enough to stay in some beautiful hotels around the world, this is the first one I have ever had to write a complaint about. After looking at the website we thought the hotel looked charming and beautiful, however we were very disappointed with our room (as was every other guest who stayed in the group booking) the bathroom in particular was a let down complete with a yellow stained bath- nice. The TV was a bit of an eyesore with cables trailing down the wall, the room was hot and stuffy and a lot smaller than it appears on the website.

Our guests paid a lot of money to stay in the hotel as a treat and celebration of our wedding and none of them were happy with what they received which to be honest was a little embarrassing.

I had booked the hotel 8 months prior to our wedding and had reserved each room under each corresponding guest's name who then individually rang up the hotel to book the rooms on their own credit cards. I double checked the details of each room twice leading up to the wedding and had confirmation both via telephone and email. The hotel double booked one of our guests and ended up putting her in the most expensive of the two rooms ( I had booked her the lesser expensive option). During the morning of the wedding whilst the said guest (bridesmaid) was busy getting ready with me, the hotel sent my younger brother up to the room demanding payment of both the room she was staying in and the empty room they had double booked by mistake! (they took our payment as soon as we checked in which is unusual but I now understand why). We had to argue with the receptionist (just what you need on the morning of your wedding) that obviously she would not be paying for an unused, unbooked room that was a result of a mistake made on their part. The receptionist said she would 'have to speak to the manager' who then sent me an email the day after my wedding stating- 'We understand it was an honest mistake and you were unaware you had booked two rooms'. Not only that but they also emailed me chasing for £13 for a guest who had not paid saying they would be deducting it from our credit card. The rooms were individually booked with each individuals card details, it is not my responsibility nor obligation to pay for other guests.
Finally my brother had an empty bottle of wine in his room (one of the 3 my sister had bought at the bar for everyone when we returned on the night of the wedding) which led to the hotel also saying they would charge me for the bottle of wine consumed in the room as it was unpaid for(not the case).

I could overlook the tiny overpriced rooms, the lack of any kind of personality or hospitality, the lack of draught beer, the lack of staff, the lack of lemons or limes at the bar on a hot summers day, the lack of cleaning, the lack of toilet roll in any of the rooms etc but trying to charge one of our group for an unused bedroom as well is really the last straw.

The hotel has the potential to be very nice, the public rooms and bar are tastefully decorated and the breakfast was also well done. It is however the running and managing of the place that lets it down. They need to invest in some well trained hotel staff, there is no personal touch, no charm, no effort. The staff who emailed me and spoke to me prior to the booking were in fact quite helpful but this was definitely not reflected during or after our stay.The rooms are very tired and barley meet a 4 star standard. The whole place it is in desperate need on an injection of TLC along with well trained staff that actually care about the guests. It could be a nice boutique hotel were it maintained and run correctly, as it is it falls heavily below par.

I have emailed the hotel manager which rendered no response (quelle surprise!) I have told them I shall be writing a review on Tripadvisor and further to seeing their condescending responses to past bad reviews on Tripadvisor I would expect some kind of sarcastic response back to my feedback. This is the first review and first complaint I have ever made about a hotel but I implore you, if you are looking for a nice boutique hotel for a special occasion give this one a wide birth!!

(However if you are looking for a nice wedding venue in York look at The Hospitium -York Museum Gardens a beautiful venue with highly efficient friendly and professional staff, some family also stayed in the Hilton in York and said it was fantastic service).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple