“Nice hotel in a good location”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel is in a good location within easy walking distance of the city centre. The rooms are of a good standard with helpful staff to assist you if needed. This hotel is an old building so has winding stairs so don't expect a 'new build' style access. The rooms are well appointed. The breakfast was a little disappointing and could have been better. If you are arriving after 5pm and leaving before 9am don't bother with the £5 parking charge as you can park free on the street. This parking charge isn't high but given the price of the rooms they could at least give guests free parking.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues ask for an easy access room when you book
1  Thank JMO-QMO
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you mentioned the location as we are such a short distance to attractions and shops. We are hopefully helpful, polite and friendly at all times and I hope all customers see that we do try and help wherever we can. Good tip with car parking but please don’t get caught out as them wardens are quick. Thank you for you comments.

There are newer reviews for Marmadukes Town House Hotel

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Firstly they overbooked our room which was specially selected for my father in law who was just diagnosed with brain tumour. Hotel is in desperate need of a good clean, rooms are hardly cleaned while you are there, there was somebodys false eyelashes in our room for the 3 days, probably still there. Hotel was given the chance to respond to our points but have so far not bothered which is an indication of how they attend to things. On a positive, the breakfast is excellent, on a negative, the hotel is dirty and over priced, it will not be a 4 star much longer according to the AA today.

Room Tip: I would not stay there until they make an effort to clean the place, it is on a slippery slope but t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Waveneycanary

Since the review we have been in communication but thank you for your review. Our cleaning team have improved and we are constantly implementing new changes. I am pleased you were happy with breakfast during your stay. The error on your bedroom was unprofessional and I am pleased to say we have a new team in and things are looking positive for this business. I explained to you I am here to change and improve this product, I can’t promise that I can rectify everything overnight but with a good team and a Management who refuses to fail, I am certain we will have a product that is fabulous. I hope the AA witness this dedication and improvement on their visit. I wish you and your family all the very best.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Hi all -stopped here for a night this week.

Positives - staff were great, very friendly and helpful. Breakfast lovely. Car park and location great.

Negatives - after stopping in many hotels and b&bs this is far from a boutique/luxury hotel and needs a good clean (lots of dust in the room, hairs in the bed, scum in the bath, rubbish and drink bottles in the lounge areas that were there at least 24hours) and in need of some TLC (dirty floors, dirty walls and doors tired furniture - I am aware these are antique but look dirty as well as uncared for). The hotel did appear to be short staffed, but to increase the appeal of this hotel a member of staff could be responsible for doing a walk around daily to spot anything that looks unclean or unloved and act on it accordingly.

This said the hotel was good value, and I would stop here again. I would have been disappointed if I had paid more though.

1  Thank jilly123_10
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for your review. Thank you for both positive and negative comments. I am pleased that the staff were friendly and helpful towards you during your stay with us. The location is excellent with us only being a 10 minute walk away from the centre. As for the cleanliness of the room checking of bedrooms every day is now on management daily task list so hopefully improvements will be noticed. We are trying to get our antiques restored stage by stage this could be a lengthy process but we are doing all we can to preserve these beautiful antiques. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed at this magnificent hotel not so long ago, all staff were very friendly and well organised. The breakfast was delicious probably the best we'd ever consumed. The service was efficient and staff were very helpful. The only bad thing I could say was that the breakfast room was extremely cold you would need a thick coat to keep you warm! The cleanliness of the rooms was of a impeccable standard and the hotel in general. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone they really do make you feel at home

• Stayed: October 2013

Firstly thank you for your review. Your comments are greatly appreciated regarding the staff service. I am really sorry the breakfast room was cold that particular morning, I have placed on the duties of our first restaurant member to ensure that the heating is on as one of their first jobs, so this hopefully will not happen again. We do try and create a home from home experience as you can appreciate we see our guests as our extended family working in this industry so it’s always a great pleasure for this to be noted.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at marmadukes on 3rd of nov and had a lovely stay do not believe the bad reviews the hotel is very nice as well as all of the staff. I have stayed at The Grange and Churchills in York and Marmadukes is far better and cheaper good value for money.I plan to stay again in January and will be booking very soon and will be taking my friends along with me.The breakfast was lovely too.I have given average for sleep quality only because the people above us decided to get up at 4am put the tv on walkabout in heels and have a loud conversation.The bed comfort was very good and I would have had a very good sleep if other guests could be more considerate.I was in room 505 which was very nice but will request a top floor room next time to avoid any noise from people above.

Room Tip: ask for top floor to avoid noisey neighbours
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and commending our breakfast & staff efficiency. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and to compare us in such a positive light to our competitors, this is very reassuring that Marmadukes is going in the right direction. We are looking forward to your return and welcoming your friends to Marmadukes. We hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We made a last minute booking to stay in York for an extra day and this was the only vacancy available. Feel it is very overpriced for what you get and having to pay for the car park during your stay in their car park was a disappointment. No toiletries in the bathroom, room 518 up in the gods, which we stayed in had very creaky floorboards and when you sat on the bed you felt you were going to go through the floor with all the creaking! You couldn't get out of bed without waking your partner! Breakfast was nice but disappointing, pot of tea was only Luke warm we had to ask for another and was told it must have been because it was the last out of the ten before refilling! The breakfast room was very cold, you really needed a body warmer or coat on to be comfortable eating breakfast. We had stayed in another b & b the previous night and it was tons better and cost £40 less for the same and free parking in their car park! Needless to say we will not be returning to marmadukes.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Jasgaby
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

I am really sad to see this review and I can only apologise unreservedly for what you have experienced. This is not representative of our standards and I am shocked that you were not provided with toiletries in your bedroom. I wish you had come to see us so we could have given these to you and tried to resolve this at the time.

Car parking is charged at £5 per night which is quite good value compared to other car parks in York. Marmadukes is a very old property and unfortunately it does have uneven flooring and creaks due to the age.

Normally we get commended on our breakfast and again this is not to our standards. I wish you had seen management in the morning so we could have rectified these problems for you.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a romantic getaway and it lived up to it. We had upgraded to a four poster room and it was well worth it. Room 513 was fab. Only very slight negative was the over the bath shower which was in keeping with the roll top bath so don't book this room if you are expecting the latest in power showers but do if you are looking for romantic nostalgia.

Had read some recent reviews which expressed concerns with some staffs attitudes but our experience was the total opposite, they were really pleasant and couldn't do enough for us. Add to that an excellent cooked breakfast and it topped our stay off to a tee.

Would definately recommend and will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review! You are quite right if you are wanting a shower, then the roll-top bath with shower piece over may not be for you, However we can provide either a full shower over the bath (not roll-top) and we also have rooms with a separate shower cubicle.

If any requests are made at time of booking we always try and allocate these requests and if we are unable to action these requests we would advise you and what your options are.

Me & Fran are in the process of implementing changes to Marmadukes and It is wonderful these are getting noted. We can’t wait to see you back at Marmadukes