“Nice experience”

Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Nice experience”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We recently stayed at Marmadukes for my husband's birthday and were generally very pleased. Our room was nicely furnished - I booked deluxe but I'm not sure if it was, but anyway we were satisfied. Breakfast was really good and worth the long wait (about 30 mins) but with lots of toast and tea replenished to keep us going and as we weren't in a hurry it was very pleasant.

The only negative point I would make, and it's already been made before, is that the water wasn't hot enough for one bath - let alone two, and it also wasn't hot again in the morning which was disappointing.

On the plus side, the staff are very helpful and polite. We left behind a shirt in the wardrobe and got a call from housekeeping to tell us. They very kindly posted the shirt to our home address. Excellent customer service, thank you Marmaduke's staff. I would definitely say our stay was value for money and would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Room 514 on first floor is quiet with a window at the side of the house.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast however I think we should be getting this to you quicker so we will make improvements immediately. We do have hot water booster buttons, we did implement a system to do this early morning and tea time but if anybody has issues we can do this and it speeds up the hot water process if majority of people are running baths at the same time. I am pleased we have got your lost property back to you. I hope we see you very soon so you can see our improvements. Have a lovely Christmas and see you 2014.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Manchester
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Myself and my now Fiancé have just returned from two nights here, which I had chosen specially for my girlfriend's birthday and surprise proposal.

I had specifically chosen this hotel for the Loft Suite, which we were both very impressed with, having never stayed in a room like this before. The room itself was immaculate and had everything we needed, plus much more, for our stay.

Overall we thought the hotel was great with friendly staff, a great breakfast, and just 10mins walk away from York centre.

As others have mentioned there are some small things that people may find issue with, such as parking fee, old style building etc. but most of these things are explained on the website so we were aware of them beforehand.

Overall this was the perfect place for our getaway and fantastic for accessing York centre.

Room Tip: The loft suite is perfect for a chilled-out retreat
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review…I am pleased that you loved the Loft suite and you found this immaculate. I am pleased your review understands this old property and yes the majority of questions are explained but we are always happy to help with any questions if people can’t find the answer they are looking for. I hope this was the perfect place and the question we all want answering was it a YES?!?
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My partner treated me to a trip to York for my birthday and I was pleasantly surprised with champagne and wonderful flowers in our room, which was brilliant. The location was fab, a short walk into York, which was easily manageable in high heels. The drawing room was nice to relax in with tea after a days shopping and the room was lovely and clean except for a few cobwebs.

The negative aspects of this trip were, firstly the shower. I have long hair, which took me double the time to wash in the shower, which has very poor water pressure. On our first day we waited over 30 minutes for our breakfasts and we didn't find the staff very attentive. On the second day it was great, but the breakfast portions were different sizes to the previous day, which is an inconsistency that we didn't like. I had scrambled eggs for the first day, which were undercooked and had no seasoning, they were also on a bun not toast, which was soggy by the time it got to me as they eggs were undercooked. My partner had cooked a cooked breakfast which he really enjoyed.

The hotel lacked attention to detail, our tea and milk were no replenished in our rooms, and the bed had not been made, we threw the duvet over before we went out in the morning and that is how it was when we got back from shopping. You get this in a premier inn, so we expected basic house keeping to have been applied for the price.

The rooms are noisy, I didn't sleep in past 7 as doors slam, no matter how quiet guests try to be. Parking was also not great, we had to pay for it and were blocked in for the weekend. We heard other guests complaining about this.

Great location, but not worth the money. To be honest, my partner regrets paying the money and wishes he had not booked here. Neither of us would recommend it or stay here again.

4 Thank Fair_Metcalfe
Thank you for your review. As wonderful it is to receive positive reviews, I do appreciate reviews with a different angle where we can improve standards. We have asked our breakfast chef to cook scrambled eggs longer so hopefully this won’t cause problems for future guests, If a future guest is reading this and requests anything cooked less or longer we are always happy to assist. I am surprised your Tea tray was not replenished on our housekeeping checks this should be completed so I will double check our staff member. Please can you email your room number if your pressure was low as we have maintenance team who can ensure this doesn’t affect future guests? (reservations@marmadukesyork.com). I am sorry that you wish you had not stayed with us but we do take comments serious and try to rectify so thank you. Have a lovely Christmas.
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I booked the hotel for my partners birthday, I booked the four poster room overlooking garden, although our room was nice it was not the room I had booked, this was not explained to me why, when we checked in my partner had a bath as there was no shower , the water was borderline warm and when I attempted to have one the water was cold, this was the same on the morning, no hot water at all, I also ordered some flowers for my partner which looked bad when we arrived and duly died the next day.
Apart from this the people were very nice and polite and it was set In a nice area, the breakfast was first class and with a few improvements this would be a lovely place, I was also told my parking was included but was charged for this on departure.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rossi1892
Thank you for your review. Good grief firstly I wish you had of brought the flowers back to reception. Our florist would have replaced within minutes and I can’t genuinely understand what could have gone wrong as I have never encountered a problem. The water does have a booster in high demand if you had of informed us we could have rectified this, we have implemented this to be completed both on an evening and first thing in the morning. I am sorry for confusion over car parking; I hope this was rectified on arrival. I am pleased we all came across nice and polite. I hope once we have made improvements we will see you return. Have a lovely Christmas & New Year.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel is in a good location within easy walking distance of the city centre. The rooms are of a good standard with helpful staff to assist you if needed. This hotel is an old building so has winding stairs so don't expect a 'new build' style access. The rooms are well appointed. The breakfast was a little disappointing and could have been better. If you are arriving after 5pm and leaving before 9am don't bother with the £5 parking charge as you can park free on the street. This parking charge isn't high but given the price of the rooms they could at least give guests free parking.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues ask for an easy access room when you book
1 Thank JMO-QMO
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you mentioned the location as we are such a short distance to attractions and shops. We are hopefully helpful, polite and friendly at all times and I hope all customers see that we do try and help wherever we can. Good tip with car parking but please don’t get caught out as them wardens are quick. Thank you for you comments.
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Firstly they overbooked our room which was specially selected for my father in law who was just diagnosed with brain tumour. Hotel is in desperate need of a good clean, rooms are hardly cleaned while you are there, there was somebodys false eyelashes in our room for the 3 days, probably still there. Hotel was given the chance to respond to our points but have so far not bothered which is an indication of how they attend to things. On a positive, the breakfast is excellent, on a negative, the hotel is dirty and over priced, it will not be a 4 star much longer according to the AA today.

Room Tip: I would not stay there until they make an effort to clean the place, it is on a slippery slope but t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Waveneycanary
Since the review we have been in communication but thank you for your review. Our cleaning team have improved and we are constantly implementing new changes. I am pleased you were happy with breakfast during your stay. The error on your bedroom was unprofessional and I am pleased to say we have a new team in and things are looking positive for this business. I explained to you I am here to change and improve this product, I can’t promise that I can rectify everything overnight but with a good team and a Management who refuses to fail, I am certain we will have a product that is fabulous. I hope the AA witness this dedication and improvement on their visit. I wish you and your family all the very best.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Hi all -stopped here for a night this week.

Positives - staff were great, very friendly and helpful. Breakfast lovely. Car park and location great.

Negatives - after stopping in many hotels and b&bs this is far from a boutique/luxury hotel and needs a good clean (lots of dust in the room, hairs in the bed, scum in the bath, rubbish and drink bottles in the lounge areas that were there at least 24hours) and in need of some TLC (dirty floors, dirty walls and doors tired furniture - I am aware these are antique but look dirty as well as uncared for). The hotel did appear to be short staffed, but to increase the appeal of this hotel a member of staff could be responsible for doing a walk around daily to spot anything that looks unclean or unloved and act on it accordingly.

This said the hotel was good value, and I would stop here again. I would have been disappointed if I had paid more though.

1 Thank jilly123_10
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for your review. Thank you for both positive and negative comments. I am pleased that the staff were friendly and helpful towards you during your stay with us. The location is excellent with us only being a 10 minute walk away from the centre. As for the cleanliness of the room checking of bedrooms every day is now on management daily task list so hopefully improvements will be noticed. We are trying to get our antiques restored stage by stage this could be a lengthy process but we are doing all we can to preserve these beautiful antiques. Thank you again for your comments.