“Cosy weekend stay”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked into Marmdukes to explore the city of York and take in the festive St Nicolas Fayre. Although pre warned about how busy it would be we were still not prepared for the crowds and soon decided to give the fayre a miss and stick to the sights which are numerous. We received a friendly greeting from the reception team and were shown up to our room which was clean, well furnished and cosy. We had a lovely free-standing roll top bath. We had read reviews about the lack of hot water but this was not our experience; there was plenty. There is no restaurant at the hotel but that was no problem as Marmadukes is a mere 5 minute stroll into the City centre passing many food and watering holes on the way. Breakfast is served in the breakfast room and the full English was delicious. I didn't need another thing until the evening. The down side to this was I missed out on a cream tea! I don't think we saw a member of staff over about 25 years of age and all were polite, friendly and helpful. Limited parking is possible on site for a small charge but keys need to be left at reception with the staff moving vehicles in and out 'Butterfly' style as required. We managed to park outside on the road for free on the Sunday. We love York and will be back again soon and would have no hesitation in booking Marmadukes next time round.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your review. St Nicholas Fayre is so incredibly busy; however it does get you feeling festive with it being the first Christmas Celebration in your York. I am pleased you liked our roll-top baths; they are always fabulous to have a soak in one of them after a long day of shopping. I am flattered as I worked that weekend…clearly this place is doing wonders and I may not need anti-ageing cream yet. We can’t wait to have you back and flattery does get you everywhere. Have a great Christmas and see you in 2014.

There are newer reviews for Marmadukes Town House Hotel

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The room we had was lovely, warm and comfy after a cold day out shopping . The staff were very helpful. The breakfast was very good lots to choose from. Would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. We can’t wait for you to come back, you’re your recommendations are greatly appreciated. See you in 2014 if not before to complete your shopping.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We travelled down from Glasgow on our way to Manchester airport. We stayed for 2 nights and what a lovely surprise to be ùpgraded to the loft suite, or the love suite as my new bride insisted! We can't thank the hotel staff enough. We had the most wonderful time in York, thanks mostly to this great hotel and staff.

Room Tip: We were upgraded, so we cant comment on the room that we booked.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The loft suite is very special and having the private sauna in your room is certainly a bonus. We can’t wait to have you stay with us again. Have a wonderful Christmas and we will see you in the New Year.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We have been coming to Marmadukes for many years, and have always received a warm welcome, This trip was last minute for Christmas shopping, so we were very surprised to be able to get in let alone at a reduced price.
Even though we booked late we asked if possible for a room with a bath as usual we were not disappointed.
What makes Marmadukes stand out, are the staff, everyone is genuinely warm and friendly, and most helpful.
The lady who served breakfast on the Monday morning deserves a medal. everyone came down at the same time, but she was very polite and efficient and no one had to wait any length of time to be served.
We'll be back

1  Thank silverspider111

Thank you for a lovely review on Marmadukes. I hope you managed to get all your Christmas shopping bought and that you enjoyed a relaxing evening with us. Thank you for your comments regarding our team I will place this on our notice board. We are looking forward to your returning visit to us. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I was a bit apprehensive to book here due to some ratings on here, only to discover
that the review's in my opinion our untrue ,
The beds are great but if you want a shower you must ask or you find yourself sitting in the bath for a shower
We had a great night in marmadukes and the staff could not do enough to help us
the only bad thing is they don't do baked beans at breakfast and a full English has to have a bean option .
Thanks for the hospitality especially the lovely man on the night bar who went out of his way to help me for some ice .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with shower
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that all the staff was lovely during your stay. As for the shower I hope you mentioned on check out as we would double check if there is any maintenance issue and complete issue immediately, If not please can you email me on: reservations@marmadukesyork.com so I can look into this further. As for the bean option, I agree…I will place this on the menu when re revise these in 2014, If you stay before then please let me know and we will ensure you have some on your next visit.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here over the weekend from Saturday to Sunday. Checked in just before 2 and parked the car with no problems. Very welcoming service from the lady on reception, and after showing us around the room we were very happy with the York suit, it was like our very own little house! After a good look around, I did notice that the black carpet in the bedroom didn't look like it had been hoovered in a while, and there were a few light bulbs out in the Ceiling and a few of the lamps. One large lamp in the lounge area looked like it was about to topple off as it was broken. Attention to detail needed in a 4 star.
After a lovely evening in York we came back and sat in the bar area, the service from a gentleman who's name escapes me was excellent, and we looked forward to sleeping soundly. And may I say we certainly did, honestly one of the BEST beds I've slept in, other comments on here about beds should be ignored, after all everyone is different we can't all like the same time of bed!!
Breakfast was a little bit of a let down, when we arrived to dine, there were 5 empty tables that had not been cleared of breakfast dishes so we had to just sit. We waited a while for someone to come and clear the table, we were then served by a very young girl in jeans trainers and a dirty shirt, and then by another lady also in jeans and trainers, surely 4star accommodation requires a clean smart uniform/smart attire?? We could not have any cereal as there were no Bowles available, and no one to ask without getting up and searching for someone, when breakfast arrived it was delicious apart from the under cooked scrambled eggs :-/ our coffee was also Luke warm and was not offered another.
Overall a very lovely stay, however attention to detail is needed, a 4 star should not just be the room, but the whole experience, we would however stay again. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Justwanting

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. I can assure you that your carpet will have been hovered but sometimes with dark carpets marks do come up easy. I am pleased that you bed was to your liking and you had a great night’s sleep. A few comments regarding breakfast have concerned me and we are issuing uniform, we are waiting on this so please accept my apologise. I am sorry your eggs were not cooked to your taste we are happy to cook anything to anybody’s liking so when you next stay please let us know. Hopefully with your review and our hard work we will get full marks and a happy returning guest. We hope to see you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We recently stayed at Marmadukes for my husband's birthday and were generally very pleased. Our room was nicely furnished - I booked deluxe but I'm not sure if it was, but anyway we were satisfied. Breakfast was really good and worth the long wait (about 30 mins) but with lots of toast and tea replenished to keep us going and as we weren't in a hurry it was very pleasant.

The only negative point I would make, and it's already been made before, is that the water wasn't hot enough for one bath - let alone two, and it also wasn't hot again in the morning which was disappointing.

On the plus side, the staff are very helpful and polite. We left behind a shirt in the wardrobe and got a call from housekeeping to tell us. They very kindly posted the shirt to our home address. Excellent customer service, thank you Marmaduke's staff. I would definitely say our stay was value for money and would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Room 514 on first floor is quiet with a window at the side of the house.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast however I think we should be getting this to you quicker so we will make improvements immediately. We do have hot water booster buttons, we did implement a system to do this early morning and tea time but if anybody has issues we can do this and it speeds up the hot water process if majority of people are running baths at the same time. I am pleased we have got your lost property back to you. I hope we see you very soon so you can see our improvements. Have a lovely Christmas and see you 2014.