“More posh B&B than Boutique”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I just didn't feel that this hotel lived up to the price I paid for the Loft Suite or the title of Boutique. Lack of attention to detail which, in other boutique hotels I have stayed in made the difference between ordinary and luxury. All the staff were friendly but in my opinion this hotel is way over priced for what's offered.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank FlipperMB
HRHGroupManagement, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you felt the staff were friendly. The loft suite is absolutely delightful with its very own private sauna and extensive bathroom, bedroom and living areas - I am just very sorry that you felt you were overcharged for this bedroom. If you have any ideas or suggestions that could help us to improve the experience of future guests I hope that you will choose to contact me directly via email.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Just stayed in room 513 it was a great room four poster bed and they even supplied a zed bed for my young daughter

The room was big enough and very clean so not sure why ppl are saying dirty rooms

The hotel itself is just outside York centre about 10 min walk

It has 2 sitting rooms and a small bar area that is open till 2 am

My only gripe would be the pillows need replacing

I have seen other reviews about the staff and breakfast been cold I can say both were fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you had a pleasant stay with us overall. Room 513, which overlooks the front of the building, is a lovely, spacious Four Poster room. We do check bedrooms for standards of cleanliness and I am pleased to confirm that our standards have dramatically improved in recent months. Some of our older Traveller reviews are somewhat out of touch with where we are now. I will examine the pillows in Room 513 and if necessary, we will replace them immediately. Thank you, once again for your comments. We hope to welcome you back to Marmadukes Boutique Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife booked a surprise visit to york staying at Marmadukes boutique hotel. She had reserved the four poster room, whereupon our arrival we had been upgraded to the Loft suite. The suite con prised of a living space, spacious bedroom and changing room, however the main attraction was the luxurious bathroom which had a free standing bath, double shower, and yes a sauna. Staff we're very helpful and friendly, especially the Portuguese gentleman who could not do enough for you. We are already thinking about our return trip.

Room Tip: Stayed in the loft suite
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John S

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you chose to upgrade to our Loft Suite on arrival – it really is a beautiful bedroom and offers a large space to relax and unwind. We will pass on your lovely comments regarding Joao; he can certainly charm our guests. We are all looking forward to you returning to us in the future. Please do book directly with us via telephone so that we can offer you the cheapest rate available for your chosen dates.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

stayed here for 1 night as part of our shopping trip to the near by mcarthur glen shopping outlet and York city centre. We arrived at about 16:00 and were greeted by a very professional member of staff from Portugal who spoke excellent English and shown to our room.
The room itself was large, very clean and traditionally decorated with some great items of antique furniture,several location relevant magazines for customer information.
There was only a bath with a shower attachment in the bath room (you can however ask to change rooms if you really want a shower cubical). There is also a pleasant bar on the premises open until 02:00 which is manned by the front desk staff, we had several drinks there and found the prices to be reasonable, the bar does not serve food, but the staff were very knowledgeable and pointed us in the right direction for food within York's city walls. We had dinner in York and then back to the bar for a night cap.
We had a great night's sleep due to the secluded location of the hotel and awoke refreshed for another days shopping. Breakfast was served in the hotel restaurant, there is fresh fruit juice, cereals, a choice of various cooked breakfast options and fresh ground coffee.
All in all a very pleasant trip and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that Joao was able to charm you on arrival with his excellent customer service skills and given you the greeting that we intend to give all of our guests. We are always happy to move guests between bedrooms if they have specific requirements that would be better satisfied in one of our other rooms. We do try to maintain our awareness of the best local places for food with our own restaurant being closed on evening and do encourage all of our guests to seek our advice as early as possible. I am pleased to read that your experience at breakfast was positive, as some previous reviews are not as complimentary. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to Marmadukes Hotel in due course.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

As soon as we arrived they were very hospitable. We arrived too early to check in so we parked our car- which was fine and went into York for the day. We arrived later and got checked in. We were upgraded to the suite which was lovely- Indoor sauna, double shower, nice dressing area. We ate at the Lamb and the Lion in York as part of the dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The meal was lovely- you could eat from the set menu or get £20 per person off the a la carte which we did. The next day we had a brilliant breakfast and they were happy to alter my breakfast to my liking which was great.

We checked out that morning and left our car there until that afternoon- we left our keys incase it needed moving onto the street for the last hour.

They were very hospitable and it was a lovely stay and a lovely room!

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to read that we have done all we can for you, which is a true break away. The suites are beautiful and yet again the Loft Suite has not failed. We are all looking forward to you returning back to Marmadukes.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband recently booked two nights here for a Christmas break and we were disappointed !!
On arrival our room was like a nice block with all heating turned off. Room was beautifully presented yet on closer inspection could have done with a bit of a make over!
Bed was the most uncomfortable bed ever. Slanted diagonally and had to be rescued with cushions from sofa . No toilet roll either.
Breakfast was a huge let down. No seating available and then both drinks and food were cold and very slow on making an appearance.
Checkout should have been simple,however being over charged for 3 nights parking whilst we were only on a 2 day break and paid on arrival made no sense!!
I would not stay here again unfortunately as what you pay does not warrant what you get.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read your disappointment. Due to you saying that I have a problem with a bed, I would truly like you to email me direct so I can inspect this, I have been around the hotel and I have not found this. Bedroom checks are completed daily and therefore surprised that this has been the case. We do appreciate your comments and I do hope you email with further information.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Booked this hotel for a break between Christmas and new year. On the positive staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was clean and lots of clothes space. Although small, it was adequate for our stay. Breakfasts were very good and freshly made. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk into the city centre. There are good bars and restaurants within easy reach of the hotel.

But - there didn't seem to be sufficient seating in the dining room for the number of guests with people having to wait in the lounge for tables to become vacant. Service on Sunday was very slow with our tea arriving cold and stewed!

On arrival our room was cold. The heating had not been turned on in readiness for our stay. On being shown to our room it was turned on, but remained cold as it has been turned off at the thermostat! The room took most of the day to get to a comfortable temperature.

On Sunday our room was not serviced at all. We reported this on our return from the city but as the cleaners had gone home the bed was quickly made for us and towels changed.

One thing that we should have reported but didn't at the time was that on Saturday after returning from our day out, our room door had been left ajar! Fortunately nothing had been taken. It probably hadn't been done deliberately, but more care needs to be taken by the cleaning staff.

There are 2 lounges which are cosy rooms, but the old seating really needs to be re upholstered to make them comfortable to sit in.

I am not silly or picking with these comments, but for the price we paid for this hotel stay I would really have expected a lot more - certainly a warm room on arrival and room to be serviced properly.

Would I stay again - no.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank liz55

Thank you for your review. Firstly I am pleased you found us friendly. Breakfast sounds positive; I am pleased that you enjoyed this. The day which you stayed was NYD and we literally did have the entire hotel for breakfast at 10am and unfortunately you do have to wait until we are able to service the tables. This does not happen often but can at time because a slight delay in breakfast service, so I can only apologise. If the bedroom was not serviced I’m not sure how we could have left the door ajar as when the reception staff later did this, this was myself and my colleague. The lounges certainly are cosy and on a chilly night something to look forward to.