“VisitYork Competition Winner” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
Warrington, Cheshire
“VisitYork Competition Winner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Just before Christmas I won a competition to stay at Marmadukes.

Fran (Assistant Manageress) was extremely helpful from the start and made us feel at home with a friendly & courteous welcome.

I stayed in a Deluxe Double Room, and it was exactly as shown on the web page (Room 514). The room was spotlessly clean, and had a well stocked Tea & Coffee Making facility (including biscuits and a large bottle of water). There was a spacious En-suite Bathroom with a free-standing Victorian bath, 4 luxury towels and complimentary toiletries.

The bed was very comfortable and I didn't hear a noise all night (I'm a very light sleeper). I can't understand the comments about the temperature of the Hotel, as I'm always cold, but I had to turn the Central Heating down as the room got very warm.

The Conservatory is the Breakfast Room, again it was spotless, and the Waitress was extremely attentive & friendly. There was a vast variety of choice which started with toast, tea/coffee, and 2 juices. We decided on a Full Yorkshire Breakfast and the Poached Eggs on a toasted Bun, both were very well presented and hot. There were also 4 types of Cereal, Croissants, Yoghurts, and Jams. I finished off with some Fruit Salad, which was one of the nicest I've ever had in a Hotel.

Marmadukes is a very relaxed Town House Hotel, and is a 10 minute walk away from York Minster and the Town Centre. I would definitely stay here again if I return to York.

When I choose a Hotel I look for 3 things; Cleanliness, Good Food, and Friendly & helpful Staff, this Hotel received 10 out of 10 for all three.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CheshireChick72
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for your review, in particular Fran, this lady is extremely helpful and can certainly cheer up any of guests on arrival. This is a very thorough review, thank you. I’m fairly cold the majority of the time and I find Marmadukes a nice temperature. I am pleased your enjoyed your breakfast and the choice was plentiful. To walk from Marmadukes to the city walls does take 10 minutes comfortably. Thank you again for a great review and I hope we get to welcome you back at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Wonderful little hotel, close to all amenities and with their own free parking. The only small point that let it down for us was the poorly stocked bar, we arrived late in the evening and I fancied a malt whiskey but none were available.

Room Tip: Four poster room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary-owner
Thank you for your review, however we may upset future guests with the ‘free’ our car park is charged at £5 per night, but can be limited as you do need to reserve in advance. We do have a small bar and unfortunately much to my surprise we do not have a Malt…this will be purchased for your next visit…when will this be? Thank you for your review from The Marmadukes Team x
Hitchin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

A pleasant stay, Wednesday to Saturday at the end of January. Staff very friendly and helpful but let down by poor attention to maintenance. Large cold bathroom with slate floor with the only heating supplied by towel rail which did not work. Problems with the hot water supply meant that the first person drawing a bath had to be careful not to take too much as the second fill was only luke warm. Light bulb unable to be replaced as correct type not available and electronic door lock keys continually having to be reprogrammed. A complimentary bottle of wine was welcome but no substitute for piping hot water!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank peejay9aq
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found us all friendly and helpful. I am sorry you have encountered hot water problems, we do try and monitor how many guests we have in house and do increase out hot water controls at 8am & 5pm to ensure that hot water is being boosted. Future guests if you are experiencing problems please let us know as this process only takes 20 minutes maximum which could avoid disappointment. Thank You Lucy & Marmadukes Team.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Lovely place with fantastic old grand decor. Just really really cold even with the heating on wooden floor was icy cold even with the heating on !! Needs a upgrade, and possibly a few rugs and to be a bit picky the mattress did not fit the frame of the bed. Bar area could do with some slight improvement, however all in all a good stay ! Thank you.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am surprised that your bedroom was as cold as what you have described, with our heating on. I have double checked bedrooms to ensure that all radiators are all working correctly for future guests. On quieter occasions we sometimes close our annex side down but generally turn heating completely up first thing in the morning, I can only think that you may have checked in very early and experienced colder temperatures. Your comments of the bar area and ‘’slight improvements’’ are required, I really would appreciate where we can improve and further feedback as this is something that I would love more feedback from guests to help us improve this area. Again thank you for this review, I hope this does not deter you staying again as this is not an experience our guests encounter generally.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This boutique hotel is just lovely, reception staff totally welcoming. Room is exactly as advertised, clean tidy with the most comfortable of beds the bathroom was huge.
Breakfast was served in the orangery/conservatory very well presented and great quality items on plate.
We would most defiantly use this little gem again.
Ok so you want to hear a fault, we all like to moan, so pillows could have been a tad firmer and the wine served by the glass was not to my taste, big deal I don't think.
James who worked reception and the bar is a star.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for a wonderful realistic review. I am pleased you believe we have described the bedrooms as we hope guests to find them. We have taken some time into re-wording descriptions as well as improving standards in the building which is hopefully going to increase our standing on Trip advisor. Thank you once again for a lovely review and we are looking forward to your return to Marmadukes.
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night wished we could of stayed longer. Had a lovely welcome from the lady on the reception showed us to our room which was lovely and clean. Breakfast was lovely and the lady serving was very attentive. Would definitely visit again and would book for longer

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lorraine W
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank You for You Review! What a lovely simple and effective review. We are looking forward to you returning later in the not too distant future.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Very friendly welcome, lovely, well appointed room and well above average breakfast. Very comfortable bed. Overall a very relaxed atmosphere.
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. It was my first stay and regrettably only for one night on business. When next in York, I'll definitely be booking Marmadukes.

Room Tip: My room was 514. Quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank redders52
Thank You for Your Review! Well…we are pleased that you speak so highly of Marmadukes Town House Hotel. We look forward to your return.