“Over rated and over priced” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marmadukes Town House Hotel

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
denbighshire
“Over rated and over priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you're looking for accommodation in york, do some research. York is very expensive and the Marmaduke is definately in that category. Hotel is nice enough and staff are helpful but hotel looks a little tired in places. Breakfast is a little disorganised, not enough tables to accommodate all the guests. Tables not cleared quick enough and sausage not cooked. We waited nearly an hour on our second morning and complained at reception and refunded £10 each and an apology. Parking extra but you have no choice but to pay it there's nowhere else available. Could have done with a shower cubicle in the bathroom there was room for one. We had a shower head and free standing bath. Room was always warm/hot.

Room Tip: 509 in annex. View of Minster from front of hotel. Watch out at 4am on Mondays. - its noisy bin co...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bethan w
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
I am afraid with York being one of the most beautiful cities in the UK; some people can find that York prices are higher than other cities. I am pleased that you found everybody to be friendly and helpful. I am sorry for your wait for breakfast, if we are full and if the majority of guests do come down at the same time I hope you can appreciate there may be a slight delay, but obviously one hour is most definitely a technical fault that must have been out of control and I can only apologise. Our bin collection arrives between 9am-12pm so I am not certain what this noise could have been but I hope this was discussed on check out so we could rectify for future guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

My girlfriend and I had a two night stay at Marmadukes. It was our first stay in York and after looking at most of the hotels York had to offer we decided on Marmadukes. We weren't disappointed.
We arrived well before the check in time but we were able to leave our car at the hotel and walk into the centre. The location was really convenient. A 10 minute walk gets you to the shambles and York minster.
We had booked the loft suite for our stay. It was everything we expected it to be. There was a living room, bathroom, separate toilet, bedroom and a dressing room. The sauna in the bathroom was a nice touch and we used this the second night. We had read some reviews about the rooms being cold but we just turned the radiators up to a comfortable temperature and it was fine. The only thing that could have improved upon was the bedding. The sheets felt a bit starchy and could probably do with some fabric softener being used in the wash.
The hotel has a lovely conservatory which is used for breakfast. For breakfast there was a continental buffet and you can also order tea, coffee, toast and full English. Both of our breakfasts were brilliant and the waitress was really friendly.
When we checked out we really didn't want to leave as our stay had been so enjoyable and relaxing.
Overall all the whole experience was great. The staff were really friendly and welcoming and we would definitely stop at Marmadukes again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William P
Thank you, this is an Amazing review! The Loft Suite really is a very special suite with that fabulous sauna in the bathroom; it really was a great idea. We do try and issue car parking as early as we can so always best to give us a call beforehand. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the selection and quality of breakfast items. Thank you so much for this wonderful review, it always cheers us up to know we are moving in the right direction.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I really could start a fan club for this gorgeous boutique hotel. Since my partner and I discovered it early last year we would not even consider staying anywhere else. We have visited York at least once a month for the last ten years and this wonderful hotel is where we stay and will "always" stay in fact I really couldn't entertain the thought of now booking anywhere else.

The hotel is quirky and it has so much character it's a real must if you are planning a trip to this historic Roman city. I would move here if I could but only if I can permanently reside in Marmadukes lol.

Lucy,Fran and the team are perfect hosts.

See you a week on Sunday!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
My beautiful couple… Oh how we adore you staying, you are our highlight of the months. We do not class you as customers but friends. Your comments and feedback everytime you stay are always helpful and proactive for us to create a more professional but homely experience.
We can't wait to see you next week. All Our Love Lucy, Fran, Jamie & Marmadukes Team xx
Warrington, Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Just before Christmas I won a competition to stay at Marmadukes.

Fran (Assistant Manageress) was extremely helpful from the start and made us feel at home with a friendly & courteous welcome.

I stayed in a Deluxe Double Room, and it was exactly as shown on the web page (Room 514). The room was spotlessly clean, and had a well stocked Tea & Coffee Making facility (including biscuits and a large bottle of water). There was a spacious En-suite Bathroom with a free-standing Victorian bath, 4 luxury towels and complimentary toiletries.

The bed was very comfortable and I didn't hear a noise all night (I'm a very light sleeper). I can't understand the comments about the temperature of the Hotel, as I'm always cold, but I had to turn the Central Heating down as the room got very warm.

The Conservatory is the Breakfast Room, again it was spotless, and the Waitress was extremely attentive & friendly. There was a vast variety of choice which started with toast, tea/coffee, and 2 juices. We decided on a Full Yorkshire Breakfast and the Poached Eggs on a toasted Bun, both were very well presented and hot. There were also 4 types of Cereal, Croissants, Yoghurts, and Jams. I finished off with some Fruit Salad, which was one of the nicest I've ever had in a Hotel.

Marmadukes is a very relaxed Town House Hotel, and is a 10 minute walk away from York Minster and the Town Centre. I would definitely stay here again if I return to York.

When I choose a Hotel I look for 3 things; Cleanliness, Good Food, and Friendly & helpful Staff, this Hotel received 10 out of 10 for all three.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CheshireChick72
Thank you for your review, in particular Fran, this lady is extremely helpful and can certainly cheer up any of guests on arrival. This is a very thorough review, thank you. I’m fairly cold the majority of the time and I find Marmadukes a nice temperature. I am pleased your enjoyed your breakfast and the choice was plentiful. To walk from Marmadukes to the city walls does take 10 minutes comfortably. Thank you again for a great review and I hope we get to welcome you back at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.
york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Wonderful little hotel, close to all amenities and with their own free parking. The only small point that let it down for us was the poorly stocked bar, we arrived late in the evening and I fancied a malt whiskey but none were available.

Room Tip: Four poster room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary-owner
Thank you for your review, however we may upset future guests with the ‘free’ our car park is charged at £5 per night, but can be limited as you do need to reserve in advance. We do have a small bar and unfortunately much to my surprise we do not have a Malt…this will be purchased for your next visit…when will this be? Thank you for your review from The Marmadukes Team x
Hitchin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

A pleasant stay, Wednesday to Saturday at the end of January. Staff very friendly and helpful but let down by poor attention to maintenance. Large cold bathroom with slate floor with the only heating supplied by towel rail which did not work. Problems with the hot water supply meant that the first person drawing a bath had to be careful not to take too much as the second fill was only luke warm. Light bulb unable to be replaced as correct type not available and electronic door lock keys continually having to be reprogrammed. A complimentary bottle of wine was welcome but no substitute for piping hot water!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank peejay9aq
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found us all friendly and helpful. I am sorry you have encountered hot water problems, we do try and monitor how many guests we have in house and do increase out hot water controls at 8am & 5pm to ensure that hot water is being boosted. Future guests if you are experiencing problems please let us know as this process only takes 20 minutes maximum which could avoid disappointment. Thank You Lucy & Marmadukes Team.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Lovely place with fantastic old grand decor. Just really really cold even with the heating on wooden floor was icy cold even with the heating on !! Needs a upgrade, and possibly a few rugs and to be a bit picky the mattress did not fit the frame of the bed. Bar area could do with some slight improvement, however all in all a good stay ! Thank you.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am surprised that your bedroom was as cold as what you have described, with our heating on. I have double checked bedrooms to ensure that all radiators are all working correctly for future guests. On quieter occasions we sometimes close our annex side down but generally turn heating completely up first thing in the morning, I can only think that you may have checked in very early and experienced colder temperatures. Your comments of the bar area and ‘’slight improvements’’ are required, I really would appreciate where we can improve and further feedback as this is something that I would love more feedback from guests to help us improve this area. Again thank you for this review, I hope this does not deter you staying again as this is not an experience our guests encounter generally.