“traditional character”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My partner and I had a lovely stay in this hotel which is in an ideal location - on a quiet street but less than a ten minute walk to the city walls. The lounge and breakfast area is really lovely for the morning and the bedroom had a quaint charm (such as triangular shaped wardrobes) about it as well as having all the usual mod cons (really great shower). I would definitely stay here again due to the friendly and helpful staff, and the traditional style of the decor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is a lovely quiet location and you wouldn’t really believe how quiet this area is to say how close we are to the centre. I am pleased to read the word ‘quaint’ and ‘charm’ is in your review as this is how I describe this beautiful old building. It has been a pleasure to read your review and we look forward to you returning back to us. Thank you from the Marmadukes Team.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here for a weekend and found Marmaduke's a perfect base for our visit to York. It was a 10 minute easy walk to the city walls. Parking was also available for a small fee. When we arrived we found the staff very helpful and pleasant. We were staying in a room on the ground floor of the lovely building next to the main house it was furnished with a four poster bed and had a huge period feature window. The room was very cosy and warm as was the large bathroom. Breakfast was plentiful, delicious and served in a lovely sun room. We had plenty of time to read the Sunday newspapers after breakfast in one of the two comfortable lounges available for guests to use.

Stayed: February 2014
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Marmadukes. It sounds a perfect Sunday, Breakfast at leisure and reading the newspapers in our lounge. We are looking forward to you returning. Thank you from all of the Marmadukes Team.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Has a Christmas present my husband and I were bought a voucher to stay one night in marmadukes and lunch in there sister inn the lamb and lion . We stayed in a lovely warm room with a shower over the bath plenty of hot water . I had a very good nights sleep . Had a good breakfast plenty of choice and very good service from all staff . Good location very close to centre of York . Like it so much that I have asked if I can have the same present again .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a lovely review. This is wonderful to read, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas present and even more so that you have requested this again. I am pleased to read your bedroom was warm and you didn’t encounter any issues during your stay. We will look forward to your return, hopefully before Christmas though. Thank you from all of the Marmadukes Team.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed for one night on the 13 February and wished we had booked to stay longer. We received a complimentary upgrade on arrival to a beautiful large room with a very comfortable four poster bed and tasteful furniture and décor. The manager Lucy and her staff were happy, friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Breakfast provided plenty of choice either continental or freshly cooked and was served in a beautiful spacious conservatory. The location was perfect as the property was in a quiet residential part of York however a brisk five minute walk meant you were in the centre. I have recommended this hotel to family and friends and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.
Alan Gill

1  Thank Alan G

Thank you for your lovely Mr Gill. I am please you have enjoyed your ‘Valentines Get Away’ with us. I am pleased we were all helpful & friendly during your stay and that you enjoyed your Four Poster Room. Thank you again and we can’t wait to have you back. Lucy & the Marmadukes Team x

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel has obviously put a lot of effort into its website. I don't think it says anything that's actually false, but in reality this is very ordinary accommodation (albeit with nice curtains) and not the luxurious haven the website might lead you to expect.

We had booked a two night stay in a "deluxe double" but left after the first night because we found the bed uncomfortable. I have no way of knowing whether it was "handmade to the highest standard" as the hotel's website claims - but I do know that the bed in the budget chain hotel where we spent the second night of our stay in York was much better.

The hotel is located in a peaceful side road, so there is no problem with external noise. However, noise from other guests could be a big problem. Given the lack of sound insulation (which is only to be expected in a building of this age) I think it was a mistake to install hard floor coverings and beds that creak.

Breakfast was adequate but obviously done to a budget, with what tasted like "from concentrate" fruit juice, and a fruit salad which was almost entirely apple. My wife ordered a poached egg which did not arrive, despite a polite reminder.

On the positive side, the front desk staff were helpful and courteous, and the cost of the second night we cancelled was refunded without quibbling.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RogerRacoon

Thank you for your review. I am firstly pleased that our front of house staff were friendly and helpful. I am sorry you didn’t stay a second night with us, but we can appreciate that as per our reviews some guests adore the décor & beds and others are expecting something different. We do try and represent the hotel as honestly as we can. However your breakfast comments have concerned me and I will look into this further. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at Marmadukes for one night over Valentine's weekend. Although it wasn't Valentine's night itself, we accepted we'd pay a higher than usual rate. Marmadukes looked so lovely on the website and promised luxury, but we definitely feel it wasn't value for money.

There were positives - the service was pleasant, warm and friendly; the sitting rooms were stylish and comfortable (although you don't tend to spend much time in them as a guest) and it was generally clean.

But negatives from our experience - off-putting strong odour of cleaning fluids as you entered the staircase to the rooms and then stronger in our room; so-called 'luxury' touches that we paid for were very disappointing (the complementary toiletries had been opened by the previous guest and were partially used, the hairdryer was very poor, the furniture in quite bad condition even allowing for its age); the breakfast was not pleasant - we waited a long time to be served and observed two tables poke and send back cooked breakfasts before ours arrived (once it did we didn't eat much as the quality was poor and we'd lost our appetite).

All in all, we expected more from a hotel that places itself in the luxury market with rates to match. Marmadukes may look the business but it lets itself down on the finer details that should set it apart as a true luxury experience.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Jenhut

Thank you for your review. Firstly I am pleased to read that service was good and that you found our downstairs areas were stylish & comfortable. I am however sorry that you found the smell of our cleaning materials unpleasant. On our bedroom checks, toiletries are double checked so this is very surprising, however we would have replaced these for you. We do have additional hairdryers other than the inbuilt hairdryers in the bathrooms so if any future guests are reading please feel free to ask for one. I do appreciate all feedback I just wish at checkout we could have helped you resolve these issues you had experienced.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here for one night on the 16th Feb with my husband.
Great welcome really helpful staff on reception.
Room was lovely and clean ( a bit warm had to turn radiators off ) .
Bathroom was lovely nice and big, shower mixer a bit of a pain to get water temperature just right but got there in the end.
Breakfast was good nice selection, a bit slow but worth the wait.
Would definitely recommend it.

2  Thank Michele B

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you received warm welcome when you arrived. I am pleased to read that you bedroom was warm, clean and a good size. We look forward to welcoming you back.