“Something different for a business trip”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I booked two members of our senior management team into your hotel during a work trip. On their return I received excellent feedback from them both. They have travelled the world with work staying in the best hotels but this is the first time they have actually commented on the accommodation. They liked the traditional features and the hotels proximity to the historical centre.

Thank you for making their stay memorable. I would defintely book again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for your review, this really made me smile; there is no deeper fear than booking your senior management’s accommodation and potentially getting it wrong. Hopefully you received some brownie points for getting there requirements perfect. I hope you get to visit Marmadukes personally in the future so we can look after you.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were due to stay for one night at Marmadukes sister hotel, the Guy Fawkes Inn but due to an unfortunate problem there were transfered to Marmadukes hotel instead. Upgraded to a suite and WOW what a suite, the shower superb, bed extremely comfortable, open plan lounge with TV and fully equiped kitchen with ice in the freezer and a lovely cold bottle of water in the fridge...we really wished we'd booked to stay longer..!! Breakfast was served quickly, it was hot and delicious. We were also took advantage of a late check out. We simply couldnt have asked for more..the staff throughout our stay were courtious, attentative , happy and fun giving a lovely welcoming vibe to this hotel. It's only a ten minute walk away from the centre and situated in a lovely quiet street with off street parking being offered at a further small fee which we didnt need as we took the luxury of catching the train. If you get the chance to visit York I'd wholeheartedly recommend this hotel for the lap of luxury it so warmly offers in more ways than one...

1  Thank lesley c

What a fabulous review… I am really pleased we had the pleasure of looking after you at Marmadukes. The York suite in which you stayed is perfect it does contain everything you may need for a night or a longer stay. I am pleased to read we have shown our passion here towards you, we genuinely love our industry in which we work and reviews like this make our days even brighter.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I stayed in the York Suite at Marmadukes for Valentine's and it was the perfect getaway for us. It's a wonderfully spacious, self contained apartment that is very nicely decorated and up to date throughout. The bed was large and comfortable, the hotel itself is an easy walk to the York city walls and the staff could not do enough for us. I had a cafetiere of coffee brought across during the day and we had breakfast delivered to the suite in the morning. The scrambled eggs in particular were great.

A couple of very minor points would be:

1. The suite was difficult to heat properly throughout. The entrance hall, toilet and bathroom are heated by central heating and were toasty warm throughout our stay, whereas the bedroom, kitchen and living area had no central heating but had air conditioning on which the heat settings were a puzzle I couldn't solve. The outcome of this meant we could either keep one area very warm and the other borderline cold, or we could open the doors between the two areas and have them both luke warm, of which neither scenario was perfect.

2. The ceiling in the shower area is quite low and despite being only 5ft 6in tall I discovered it was possible to touch the ceiling lights whilst stood underneath the water in the shower. I found myself hoping that the lighting was properly safe to be fitted in a bathroom and glad that I'm not over 6ft tall as it's possible the lights would be more of a problem to a person of that height.

3. The toilet is squeezed into quite a small space. This was not a problem for myself or my wife given that neither of us is very tall (or indeed very wide) but for someone who is, this space would be potentially uncomfortable or even claustrophobic.

Having said all this, the three point above really were very minor for us and didn't detract from our stay one bit. This is the nicest place we have ever stayed and although it is also the most money I have ever spent on a hotel (I'm usually more of a £25 Premier Inn offer type of person) the sheer size and quality of the suite meant we both thought it was great value for money. We would definitely stay again and have in mind a longer stay for my 40th Birthday.

Room Tip: We experienced no external noise at all in the York Suite.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with is and that you will be returning to us for your special Birthday. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed you breakfast with us. The temperature of the areas you have mentioned are a new on for me. The air conditioning can be turned to heating and can reach temperatures of 32degs, when you next stay please let me know and I can certainly explain how the control panels work. I never really noticed the bathroom slant; I am very small and has not been mentioned while I have been here so I can take your comments on board. Thank you once again from the Marmadukes Team and we will look forward to you returning to us. Best Wishes Lucy

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at the Marmaduke for two nights and had a lovely time. We stayed in the loft suite which had a living room and a bathroom with a double shower, a sauna and a freestanding bath!! The rooms were clean and the staff very friendly and happy to help with any queries. The breakfast was good - we had cooked breakfast so cannot comment on the continental breakfast selection.

The location is great - 10 minute walk into the centre which is good as you cannot park easily.

Great little hotel. Would recommend if you want to be able to walk easily to the centre and experience the beautiful city of York.

Room Tip: We stayed in the loft suite which is beautiful but the bed is very hard!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review. We are pleased you have enjoyed your stay at Marmadukes Town House Hotel. I am pleased we have all been helpful and friendly and you enjoyed your breakfast. The location of Marmadukes is perfect as we are 10 minutes’ walk away but still in such a lovely quiet area of town that suits all parties. I am sorry you found the bed harder than expected; we will have to trial this to see how we can improve for future guests. Thank you again for a lovely review.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My partner and I had a lovely stay in this hotel which is in an ideal location - on a quiet street but less than a ten minute walk to the city walls. The lounge and breakfast area is really lovely for the morning and the bedroom had a quaint charm (such as triangular shaped wardrobes) about it as well as having all the usual mod cons (really great shower). I would definitely stay here again due to the friendly and helpful staff, and the traditional style of the decor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is a lovely quiet location and you wouldn’t really believe how quiet this area is to say how close we are to the centre. I am pleased to read the word ‘quaint’ and ‘charm’ is in your review as this is how I describe this beautiful old building. It has been a pleasure to read your review and we look forward to you returning back to us. Thank you from the Marmadukes Team.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here for a weekend and found Marmaduke's a perfect base for our visit to York. It was a 10 minute easy walk to the city walls. Parking was also available for a small fee. When we arrived we found the staff very helpful and pleasant. We were staying in a room on the ground floor of the lovely building next to the main house it was furnished with a four poster bed and had a huge period feature window. The room was very cosy and warm as was the large bathroom. Breakfast was plentiful, delicious and served in a lovely sun room. We had plenty of time to read the Sunday newspapers after breakfast in one of the two comfortable lounges available for guests to use.

Stayed: February 2014
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Marmadukes. It sounds a perfect Sunday, Breakfast at leisure and reading the newspapers in our lounge. We are looking forward to you returning. Thank you from all of the Marmadukes Team.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Has a Christmas present my husband and I were bought a voucher to stay one night in marmadukes and lunch in there sister inn the lamb and lion . We stayed in a lovely warm room with a shower over the bath plenty of hot water . I had a very good nights sleep . Had a good breakfast plenty of choice and very good service from all staff . Good location very close to centre of York . Like it so much that I have asked if I can have the same present again .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a lovely review. This is wonderful to read, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas present and even more so that you have requested this again. I am pleased to read your bedroom was warm and you didn’t encounter any issues during your stay. We will look forward to your return, hopefully before Christmas though. Thank you from all of the Marmadukes Team.