“Fabulous.....”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Me and my partner booked into The Marmaduke and can't think of anywhere else we would prefer to stay during our future visits to York. We have already recommended it to all our friends.
We were immediately upgraded to a Doubl Delux on arrival and the room was beautiful. The staff were all friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast was lovely too!
Perfect all round - Thank you

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebekah S
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for your review. Your comments are really kind and we are pleased that you will be returning back to us. We may need to give you an extra special discount with your friends and family staying. I am so pleased that you also enjoyed your breakfast experience with us. Thank you for a positive 5 star review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,637)

Reviewed 15 April 2014

What can I say? Superb from the start to the finish! My daughter recently celebrated her wedding here. Small function, but most wonderfully organised and catered for in a beautiful setting. I have to thank Fran especially for her professional, but friendly approach, with a "nothing is too much trouble" attitude which surpassed all my expectations.
Jamie too was a star, looking after the guests in the bar area particularly, but also waiting on at breakfast, which in itself was a delight. Some reviews here complained about the time waited for breakfast, however, this was not our experience, breakfast is cooked to order and therefore, fresh and very very nice, not the 'buffet" style you would get at a lesser establishment! Absolutely no complaints at all, other than the day went too quickly!
The rooms were clean and comfortable, my husband and I stayed in the York suite, separated from the main hotel with a kitchen and sitting room facility, fabulously large bedroom, with more than adequate furniture, fantastic wet room, with a shower you never want to get out of, clean fresh towels, lots of toiletries...etc etc.
We fully intend to return when visiting York as the location is perfect for the town centre, but far enough out of it to enjoy peace and quiet. Overall, highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your 5 star review and for visiting us after your big day. It is wonderful to hear your stories and look through your pictures after your big day! I am pleased that you were happy with our breakfast service; I agree I would prefer to wait for a freshly cooked breakfast rather than a fast buffet service. I am pleased to read that the York Suite lived up to expectation and you enjoyed your stay. Fran and Jamie are certainly stars and greatly appreciated in our team here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel. We will look forward to having you return back to us.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here for one night in April 2014. The reception staff were very welcoming on arrival and showed us to room 514 - a large, wonderfully decorated room with a bathroom complete with roll top bath. It really couldn't be faulted. The breakfast was good (although I'd suggest adding the option of beans to the full English) and was held in a lovely airy room which looked fantastic with the morning sunlight streaming through the windows. Next time we visit York we will definitely stay at Marmadukes (hopefully next time my shoe won't break mid-stay, but full marks to the lovely reception staff for fixing it for me!).

1  Thank spangletastic

Thank you for your 5 star review. Room 514 is one of my favourite bedrooms, the roll top baths here are just amazing after a long days shopping and sightseeing. We do have beans but I swear nobody orders them so please place your request next time you stay. If your shoe decides to give way again I will have my hard as nails glue to hand. We are really looking forward to having you back here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The location was really good only a 10 minute walk to the Minster. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Going to York was one of my birthday presents and as soon as we arrived we were up-graded to a four poster room with a view of the York minster :-) Brilliant breakfast! We fell in love with beautiful York and we received a very warm welcome during our stay. We can't wait to come back again in June with our children ( Young adults) A big thank you to Lucy and all the team at Marmadukes hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 5 star review. We are a fabulous location and only 10 minutes’ walk away from York city walls. I am really pleased to read you have enjoyed your breakfast and you were greeted with a warm welcome. We are so looking forward to you coming back and staying in the York Suite, It was a pleasure having you stay here and we are looking forward to meeting your boys. Best Wishes Lucy.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed for 4 nights as a mini honeymoon before we went abroad. The staff were nice but the overall hotel was poor.
Problems with our stay were:
1)We were put in the side house which meant we could not get a wifi signal.
2) There wasn't a makeup table, chair or mirror in the room. I had to request these.
3) Toiletries were not topped up each day.
4) Breakfast was very slow waiting up to 45 for food some days
5) Slow service when checking in
6) Lost our bags for 45 mins on check in.
We did ask to be moved rooms which was granted however, I would say it wasn't worth £125 per night. I would have preferred to stay in a travel lodge.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main house
1  Thank emma f

Firstly I would like to emphasize that I am always happy to receive both positive and negative reviews. Positive to know we are improving our standards to where Marmadukes Town House Hotel was in the past and negative reviews so we are always aiming higher in achieving the best customer service possible.
In response to your 2 star review, I would agree that sometimes the signal is not as strong on the top floor of our annex but if you connect on our landing this will work perfectly in your bedroom, you were not located in one of these bedrooms and fail to understand why there was an issue. We do have a make-up mirror which is rarely requested, however this was given to you during your stay. Toiletries are topped up daily if we see you are not using these then we feel there is little point in leaving additional products. Your bags were located in our cellar 10 minutes after your arrival when our receptionist whom was on her first shift welcomed you. I am sure you will not stay with us again, but I would advise when you stay at any hotel if you speak with the team any hoteliers would have been more than happy to rectify these niggles for you at the present time.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed 2 nights at Marmadukes for my son and his beautiful wife's wedding. Fran, the coordinator, is very good at her job and made sure that everything went smoothly and sorted out anything that we needed immediately. The whole team at Marmadukes worked very hard to make sure that the day was a great success and was enjoyed by everyone.
The breakfast is very good with lots of choice and very efficient service served in a lovely conservatory.
The hotel is very traditional, so don't expect it to be like a Premier Inn. Look at the Google images to get a sample of the delights this hotel offers.
Just a 10 minute walk to the beautiful city of York too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you for a wonderful review. More so thank you for your special mention of Fran, this lady genuinely cares about every last detail of your wedding here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, nothing is ever too much trouble. Our breakfast choice is plentiful, however please ask if we do not have what you want and we will always try and ensure we purchase this for your arrival. We are very traditional, with old furniture and traditional service.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Just returned from a nights stay here, it really is the perfect place to stay in York, the hotel is beautiful and full of character which really adds to your York experience. When we arrived we were greeted by Lucy at reception who was ever so friendly and helped with taking luggage up to our rooms. My partner and I stayed in one of the 4 poster bed rooms, I felt like I was in Downton Abbey and my mum stayed in a single bed room which was cosy and comfortable. Breakfast was great and again all staff were lovely and friendly. I would 100% recommended this hotel to anyone staying in York.

1  Thank MindyMills

Thank you for your review. This is really sweet thank you, you were a pleasure to welcome to Marmadukes Town House Hotel, and guests like yourself make working here a pleasure and a privilege. However if future guests are now expecting Downton Abbey…please can you picture a house in the village as you may get a little disappointed when you pull up to our smaller Victorian house. I am so please you enjoyed your stay and really looking forward to your return.