“Party”

Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in York
York
“Party”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have, as a family, used this hotel before but used it this weekend for a special family party. It was the occasion of our 4th G;child who was baptised as Daisy Mollie in York Minster. The occasion was superb and the hotel and its staff was fantastic! The weather was amazing - York looked its best and our Guests from the South were very impressed. The hotel as ever was great and Fran ( the manager) discussed the merits of having our Tea Party in the Hotel or the Garden. We chose the garden - the best decision! The sun shone, the Prosecco flowed, the tea was amazing - lots of sandwiches, cake and scones. We cannot thank them enough!
So thank you Fran and Team and we look forward to returning!
This Team could not have helped us more - they were superb in both planning the event and in its delivery. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review. The weather was certainly on your side this weekend, perfect for your Christening and Afternoon Tea Garden Party.

I am so pleased to read that Fran and Our Marmadukes Team looked after you so well.

Our Afternoon Tea is scrumptious and perfect for a family get together. We will look forward to you returning back to us.

Kind Regards

Lucy Neville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here to attend a wedding from the outset the staff could not do enough for us very friendly and helpful. The room I would grade as good had everything we needed only down side was it was above some kind of extractor fan so noisy at night. It was clean and bed was comfortable closet door would not open fully because of the bed but a minor moan in an otherwise good room.
Breakfast was excellent full English cooked to a high standard freshly made once again staff excellent. The wedding was outstanding run to precision and once again the food was outstanding.
On departure I left some belongings behind staff made every effort to locate me and let me know. Thankyou To all Marmadukes staff for a great stay and for looking after us even after departure.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above kitchen.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for a lovely review. Your kind comments have been passed across to our team here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

I am really disappointed to read that you encountered a noise during your stay, I have placed this on our late reception duties to ensure our air conditioning unit is turned off some time ago so I can only apologise that this has happened during your stay. If a future guest ever encounters any noise or problems please call our Night Porter to help with any issues, we are always here to assist.

I will investigate your issue regarding your sash window in your bedroom as this is an area we are investigating in the coming months.

I am however thrilled to read that you thought our food was outstanding for the wedding; your comments have been passed to our Chef.

Thank you again for taking the time and placing your review and we are looking forward to you returning.

Kind Regards

Lucy Neville.
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

At 6.30 pm the hot water and shower were not working properly in our room. My husband got it going but then then the smell of drains which we thought was coming from outside got much much worse and we phoned down to reception to report it. After a further phone call and my husband going down to reception the manager came to our room at 7.30. She agreed the room was smelling and said that they had a plumber in the previous day to fix a plumbing problem - not in this room. As no other room was available we were left to transfer our luggage and car to hotel 53 ( a car ride away) .
Whilst hotel53 was clean and comfortable it wasn't our first choice of hotel. we were wanting something a little special and different to celebrate my husbands birthday. We finally sat down for our "celebration " meal at 9.30 - not great!
Whilst we appreciate that problems arise at no point were we offered any token compensation for having to move hotels and traipse around York at 8.30-9.00 pm at night- not a bottle of wine, money towards a meal, not a refund or even part refund- nada!!
after several e-mails to the manager asking for compensation we were offered £10 refund to cover the extra cost of parking at hotel53.
this has not compensated us in any way shape or form for effectively spoiling my husbands birthday celebration.
thanks very much Marmadukes- whatever happened to customer service and looking after your guests?!
we would recommend people NOT to stay here- it's overpriced and disappointing- I'm now expecting a sarcastic reply to this review to follow

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jojo753
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Unfortunately businesses do have maintenance issues; sometime we can deal with them immediately, other times you have to outsource contractors, this could have taken a number of hours making this unfortunate situation even worse for you. I can only apologise, which I have to you on email. We refunded you when you left our hotel, we offered you a refund on the additional cost of the car parking at Hotel 53, we offered you a discounted rate on next stay, we offered you a free upgrade on your next booking – All of this still stands, we do not want to upset our guests, we always try to do all we can to help and assist our guests. Negative reviews like this can be detrimental to a business, for something that was out of human control it saddens me to respond let alone with sarcasm.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We booked this boutique hotel after looking at the website. I think this is one of those hotels where it's 'luck of the draw'. After expressing concerns of bathroom cleanliness and other issues, we were moved twice. I think the expensive rooms are clearly the ones to go for, but the lesser rooms (we did upgrade but still found all sash windows have broken cords, rugs a little stained and tatty - but bed linen etc is all well prepared and clean) seem a little tired and the soft furnishings need a good deep clean.
So the hotel itself I think is a little tired and perhaps is undergoing continued refurbishment and updating which is fair I think.
The staff were excellent and did everything they could to ensure we were happy and attending all our concerns without fault.
Can't say I would return, but am very grateful for the attention and service provided by the staff. A little more attention to the rooms (which of course does mean investment) then I think this place would be a gem,

Room Tip: spend money for a top of the range room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Firstly I do appreciate your feedback regarding our team here so thank you very much. I have to say that the first bedroom you checked in to, I agree there had been too higher dose of chemical on our floor which was not diluted enough, leaving a residue on the flooring. I had thought and hoped you would have been happy with the bedroom which we moved you to, as I did not have any negative feedback on check out. It is fair to say that the team here are trying to remove items and replace so feedback is of the upmost importance to us. I hope you do stay with us again to see our constant improvements and changes we make here.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Comfortable bed and attractive room. Nice area, very close to the city centre.
The staff were very helpful and friendly. I left my purse and they telephoned to let us know- thank you!
Slight downside is unpleasant smell in ensuite.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and cheering up the team here with ‘helpful & friendly’. I am so pleased we got your purse back to you. Please can you email me regarding your room number as I have double checked all bedrooms but I will place this room on Deep Clean first for this month’s list? Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Marmadukes is a little bit of an addiction to us. If you want boring and bland don't bother reading any further but if you want a charismatic,quirky and individual stay with fabulous helpful "real" staff then this will certainly be right up your street.

Set just a few minutes walk from York City centre this was an amazing find and now we wouldn't consider looking at or booking anywhere else.

The rooms are totally wonderful and the suites are to die for and trust me up to finding this elegant hotel we stayed in lots of different places in our favorite city. So much thought has gone into this accommodation and it shows. There is a couple of lounges if you just want to get a drink at the bar and chill before or after a night out.

The breakfast room is light and airy with a great choice for breakfast and I would imagine you would have to be unreasonably fussy not to be able to pick from this menu where the hot dishes are freshly cooked to order and served with a smile from the lovely staff.

Talking of "staff" you would go a very long way to beat Lucy,Fran and their team on reception where nothing is too much trouble and you are really made to feel welcome and comfortable.

See you very soon!

Xx

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Oh how I love your informative reviews. Thank you once again for taking the time to review Marmadukes Town House Hotel (East in the UK, Not West). Thank you for your constant loyalty. Myself, Fran and Marmadukes Team look forward to your visit every time when we receive a negative comment as you know we do all we can to action anything possible but sometimes the impossible can stretch the best Team in the world. Your energy & enthusiasm is always welcome here. Thank you for your continued support, loyalty and pure charisma. We can’t wait to see you back here. All Our Love Town House Team xx
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Excellent from start to finish, engaging ever helpful staff who portray a real interest in your experience and pride in their offering. The mini suite was spectacular, breakfast superb.
Exceptional value for money could not fault it the place or the staff in any way.

Have recommended to all our friends.

Quality!!!

Room Tip: Choose the loft suite (except when we want to stay again!!!)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a wonderful five star review. This has certainly cheered our team up at Marmadukes Town House Hotel. I am so pleased to read that our suite lived up to its expectations. Thank you so much for placing an even bigger smile on our faces. We are so looking forward to your return.