“Beautiful Hotel in a Beautiful Place”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I picked this hotel based on the room price & the star rating it had recieved. The hotel is easly enough to drive to. Based about 10 minutes walk from York centre, the hotel has onsite parking for a £5 fee.
Prior to arriving, I contacted the hotel ensuring a fridge would be available as my partner has diabetes. This was not a problem and access would be available. I also requested a room with a bath. Again, no problem.
The room was nicely decorated in fitting with the hotel. The bed was very comfy & the standard tea/coffee making equipment provided along with some nice buicuits.
We went out in Leeds at night & ended up staying out late. I enquired about a late check out. This was not something available, but the staff said an extra hour or 2 to check out would be fine. Again, excellent service.
As it turns out we were up early and ventured down for breakfast. Breakfast was a full continential buffet with the option of a full english amongst other choices. We had the full english. it arrived cooked to perfection, my only (very minor) complaint being there was no option of beans or tinned tommatoes. I found it a little dry.
As we were up, I asked if it would be possible to leave my car in the car park while we ventured out in to York. yet again the excellent staff said this would not be a problem. I left them my keys so if the car park got full, they would move my car to another safe parking spot.
Over all we had an excellent stay. The staff were fantastic and the hotel is brilliant.

2  Thank Rob S
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review! I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

We are in a brilliant location being only 10 minutes’ walk away but also having car parking at such a reasonable rate, only a few minutes away car parking is charged at £2.80 per hour. It is always best to book ahead though.

We always try and offer flexibility and choice where we can. I have stocked up on beans but nobody has asked for them, on your next visit please let us know.

Again thank you for a well detailed review and we will look forward to you returning back to us.

Lucy Neville

Write a ReviewReviews (1,614)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I highly recommend this property. It is a lovely boutique hotel, very close to all the attractions in town. Staff were friendly and accommodating, breakfast was terrific and although we had a very small room, it was comfortable and well appointed. Great value too!

1  Thank LotsaTravelGal

Thank you for your lovely 5 star review! I am extremely pleased to read ‘Good Value’, we are competitively priced in York, and hopefully this shows through.

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on here, we will look forward to you returning back to us.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Marmadukes is just a 15-20 minute walk to the city centre, situated in a relatively quiet street with on-site parking. Our room (Loft Suite) was excellent, very spacious with a superb shower. The staff were friendly and invariably helpful. Niggles were all fairly minor: one window difficult to open; loud squeaky bathroom door; hard bed, and my usual annoyance of no mini-fridge. The one disappointment was breakfast: we go for continental and the choice was very limited; not sure I like the idea of marmalade, jam, even sugar in single jars on the main buffet table so you have to keep going up to get some more. That said, such annoyances were only trivial and the overall experience was very pleasant, hence the five stars. We have stayed at several similar hotels in York, and Marmadukes would now be my first choice for its combination of great room, friendly staff and convenience. No dinner option, but there's no real need with so much choice just a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for a lovely five star review! We are a perfect location, short walking distance and quiet location. Our car parking is charged at £5 per night and tends to get very busy so please book in advance if you do intend to drive to us.

I will have our maintenance team to have a look at your window as this shouldn’t cause our guests to struggle, especially coming into summer months. The bathroom door has also been placed on this list as I am sure will be a straight forward solution to repair. Unfortunately we won’t be investing in a mini bars, however we do offer room service, so any drink which takes your fancy let us know and we will be happy to assist.

It is wonderful to read that we are now your new first choice in York. Please book direct so we can offer you our book direct 10% discount.

We will look forward to your return.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were given a very good rate for this hotel. The staff our lovely room very nice quite small but we knew this when booking but on saying that did have everything you needed. The hotel is in a great location. Thought the continental breakfast was lacking in choice, no fresh fruit , ham or cheese very basic.
Overall a nice hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review Marmadukes Town House Hotel. The lovely mention for our staff has been greatly received.

You booked our Petite Executive Double, this is a smaller bedroom but perfect to get a good night’s sleep in our peaceful location.

We are trying different ideas with breakfast and your suggestions were not popular, however on your next visit please ask as we do have these items in our fridge so would be easy to prepare for you.

We will look forward to your return back to Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just back from a great weekend at marmadukes. We had our baby's christening party there and everyone had an amazing time. Fran and the team were fantastic, making sure everything went like clockwork. Really recommend it as a place to stay or somewhere to host a special event

• Stayed: May 2014

Short, Sweet and a wonderful 5 Star review. Thank you!

I am so pleased your Christening Party guests had a fantastic time here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

We will look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have, as a family, used this hotel before but used it this weekend for a special family party. It was the occasion of our 4th G;child who was baptised as Daisy Mollie in York Minster. The occasion was superb and the hotel and its staff was fantastic! The weather was amazing - York looked its best and our Guests from the South were very impressed. The hotel as ever was great and Fran ( the manager) discussed the merits of having our Tea Party in the Hotel or the Garden. We chose the garden - the best decision! The sun shone, the Prosecco flowed, the tea was amazing - lots of sandwiches, cake and scones. We cannot thank them enough!
So thank you Fran and Team and we look forward to returning!
This Team could not have helped us more - they were superb in both planning the event and in its delivery. Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. The weather was certainly on your side this weekend, perfect for your Christening and Afternoon Tea Garden Party.

I am so pleased to read that Fran and Our Marmadukes Team looked after you so well.

Our Afternoon Tea is scrumptious and perfect for a family get together. We will look forward to you returning back to us.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here to attend a wedding from the outset the staff could not do enough for us very friendly and helpful. The room I would grade as good had everything we needed only down side was it was above some kind of extractor fan so noisy at night. It was clean and bed was comfortable closet door would not open fully because of the bed but a minor moan in an otherwise good room.
Breakfast was excellent full English cooked to a high standard freshly made once again staff excellent. The wedding was outstanding run to precision and once again the food was outstanding.
On departure I left some belongings behind staff made every effort to locate me and let me know. Thankyou To all Marmadukes staff for a great stay and for looking after us even after departure.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above kitchen.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for a lovely review. Your kind comments have been passed across to our team here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

I am really disappointed to read that you encountered a noise during your stay, I have placed this on our late reception duties to ensure our air conditioning unit is turned off some time ago so I can only apologise that this has happened during your stay. If a future guest ever encounters any noise or problems please call our Night Porter to help with any issues, we are always here to assist.

I will investigate your issue regarding your sash window in your bedroom as this is an area we are investigating in the coming months.

I am however thrilled to read that you thought our food was outstanding for the wedding; your comments have been passed to our Chef.

Thank you again for taking the time and placing your review and we are looking forward to you returning.

Lucy Neville.