Marmadukes Town House Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
1,680 results
All reviewsloft suiteroll top bathyork suitefour posterpark restaurantantique furniturefree standing bathlovely hoteldouble showercity centreminute walkbreakfast was excellentmain buildingposter bedfull englishone night staybeautiful room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel, so refreshing from the usual boring mundane chain hotels. Quaint, olde worlde but super bedrooms, lovely comfy beds, fabulous fresh cooked breakfast not an awful tepid buffet. Please don't stay there....it's too nice and I don't want it getting too popular!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank thekingsmessenger
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for a wonderful five star review!!

This is one of the sweetest reviews I have had the pleasure of reading , so personally thank you and I am sure the team here are very grateful.

We are different and it was a struggle to describe this hotel at the start, we are small, we have our faults but hopefully what you have seen here is what we see here. The antique furniture is worn in parts, but beautiful and useful, we are a nation of if something is not aesthetically pleasing anymore then disregard and start again. Here we believe in preserving, we believe in caring not just furniture but you the guest, if you want somewhere in personable we will not be for you.

We will look forward to you returning, guests like yourself are priceless and we will always find a room for you.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you are looking for a wonderful hotel to stay in this beautiful city then you would be hard pressed to better Marmadukes as it ticks "every box". Set in a leafy side street a few minutes from the city centre it is ideally situated for a perfect break.

The staff are amazingly friendly,warm and welcoming and the relaxed atmosphere of this beautifully furnished small and personal establishment all make for a stay that you won't forget in a hurry.

The breakfasts are all freshly cooked to order and are to my mind "faultless" with a great choice of top quality produce. I have seen a few reviews on here complaining that Baked Beans were not available. Well folks they have now been included on the menu so feel free to indulge lol.

Honestly if "the lack of beans" is your only worry then "problem solved" ...... Fill your boots people and Enjoy your York trip at this delightful hotel.

Well done Lucy,Fran and team.

See you very soon xx

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

A wonderful Five Star review is just amazing!

You set our Hotel in the prefect location to which it is placed, only a short walk from the city walls but still quite enough to relax after the hustle and bustle.

Thank you for your kind comments of our team here. We do care about our guests and If we can do anything for anybody we will, you just need to ask.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your breakfast here at Marmadukes Town House hotel, our quality of produce Is sourced from local suppliers and we do try and buy quality items, our breakfast is going through a revamp so hopefully it will cater for everybody shortly. A comment about baked beans and not in a negative context…oh my, times are changing.

Thank you for once again taking the time to write this review, we can’t wait to see you back here!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Recently returned from a 3 night mid week stay at the hotel. Great location and friendly staff but a bit disorganised! We booked through Booking.com and requested a room with a bath. We got a deluxe room with a very small bathroom which you could not move in and shower only. Although we were offered to swap rooms if any became available the following day. The room was very cold and right at the top of the house up 3 flights of stairs, each day our key card would not work so we had to go back down to reception to reactivate it. Good job we are a fairly fit mature couple! Breakfast during the week was a bit unorganised, not enough staff and therefore long waits and quite a few mistakes being made. Also, food was not very warm. Altogether not a bad hotel but expensive for what you get.

1  Thank Clive8389
Marmadukes Town... H, Front Office Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time and writing your review.

I am pleased to read that your returned back to us and you found staff helpful, disorganised is not something I hear often on here or on my personal feedback. Hopefully for future guests reading this, I can only urge you to book direct, you not only get the best available reduced rate for booking direct but we can ensure any request you have are actioned at the time of your booking.

Every bedroom does have radiators and our heating is normally on full force, I wish you had of mentioned this during your stay as we would have boosted our heating system for you.

I believe during your, it was children’s holidays, the staffing levels were adequately staffed however we did experience busy peaks, again I am really sorry this affected your stay with us, we do try and work as quickly as possible and serving the best quality possible.

We are competitively priced and as rates are analysed daily with our competitors in York.

I do hope you decide to return back to us, as all feedback is taken serious and we always strive toward a better product.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Marmaduke's is perfectly situated in a leafy side-street close to the centre of York. The staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful and our room was spacious with lovely antique furniture and a great bathroom. There was a lovely, peaceful atmosphere and the public areas were beautifully furnished. Breakfast was excellent, and on the first morning we had it served in our room, which was a bonus.

Room Tip: Deluxe Doubles are very spacious
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Firstly I am thrilled to see a 5 star review; it really gives us a huge boost here for the team. I am so pleased that you found us all friendly. I personally love our antique furniture and our bathrooms, they are all different and not one bedroom is the same…I don’t think this is the case in many other hotels.

Breakfast in bed is a real treat, not many take us up on this, however certain breakfast times t can be busy so why not avoid this and truly relax.

Thank you once again for such a wonderful review and I can’t wait to see you back at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

On arrival at maradukes hotel we were greeted with 2 members of staff shuffling cars around to fit us in, our room wasnt ready so we headed into town to start our holiday. On returning to the hotel a young lad showed us to our room but we were allitle disappointed how no help was offered to carry our luggage up the 3 flights of stairs. The room was clean, tidy and nicely lade out. There was a bath but no small bubble bath to put in it, when I asked if they had any I was told no but I could call in the shop and get myself some. The breakfast was lovely but agree with another on TripAdvisor some beans would have been nice, when I asked if they had any the waitress said no, so they had not stocked up like previously stated. Overall we did like this hotel and its close to town but for how much you pay a night I would espect the staff to be alittle more giving and helpful. A blond lady on reception with glasses however was helpful.

Room Tip: Dont go for a 4 poster, you carnt see the tv
1  Thank kingtheworld
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place a tripadvisor review.

I am so sorry you were offered no help with your luggage; this is a standard in the hotel and surprised to read this. I am however pleased that our standard were correct for your bedroom. I do like your idea to place a small bubble bath next to our roll top baths and this is something we may do in the future.

I am changing the Breakfast menu this week. There will be some additional items. After popular demand for beans and If I have any more bean issues, I think I will be driven insane.

I am pleased Daisy was helpful; she is a gem here, and true honour to work alongside.

Thank you once again and I will look forward to welcoming you back to Marmadukes Town House Hotel.