“Overall we were disappointed”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in York
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Overall we were disappointed”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

From the web site we expected a luxury boutique hotel with Victorian style and quality. The staff were lovely at reception and breakfast and went out of their way to help with the various problems we flagged. Our room was a four poster (501). The bed, sheets, towels etc. were fine. However, the bathroom had a roll-top bath which wouldn't drain and appeared to have a leak underneath it that soaked the bathroom floor. The bathroom door jammed when you opened or closed it and had to be kicked at the bottom so that it opened / closed. The bedroom had plaster peeling off the ceiling from a previous water leak from the room above. Part of the TV was obscured by a wooden box that served no purpose. The rug at the bottom of the bed could do with a good clean. We were moved rooms but were kept awake by the emergency lighting which had a powerful green light that was far too powerful. The Yorkshire breakfast was good. However, if you were the type of person that preferred a Continental Breakfast you would be bitterly disappointed with the choice, adequate but limited.

2 Thank 57Bob2014
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Firstly thank you for your review; I am saddened to read your disappointment.

Here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, we have moved away from the words ‘Boutique’ but ‘Victorian’ & ‘Town House’ are the words we try and use when we advertise our property.

Thank you for mentioning that you found staff lovely.

We have just completed a full drainage programme which was finished in the past day, so hopefully this will not affect future guests. As for the ceiling we couldn’t agree more and we do have a contractor visiting who will investigate this visual problem. Again I do agree with your point about the boxes and brackets in our bedrooms and these will be removed in time and walls repainted, however we would rather action painting & decorating for the latter end of this year or early next year. Unfortunately emergency lighting is legal requirement and we have little manoeuvrability with this issue.

I am pleased you enjoyed you Yorkshire Breakfast here. As per my other responses to guest if you have dietary requirement’s, email in advanced and we will do all we can for your stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate all good and negative so we can improve this beautiful building.

Lucy Neville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here on the 2nd June for one night. I cant recommend the hotel enough. We stayed in a petite double room which suited us fine.
It had a double bed and was ensuite with a shower. The bed was very comfy and the room was extremely clean. There was tea and coffee facilities including biscuits and fresh water which was a nice touch. Also in the bathroom there was shower gel and shampooo!!
The staff on reception were very friendly and welcoming.
Breakfast the following morning was great, there was the usual cerals, toast, fruit etc and then the option of a full english. The only criticism was that we were kept waiting for our hot breakfasts to arrive. People who ordered after us got theirs before us and when I asked a staff member she went to check. I had a feeling that they did forget our orders as shortly after 2 breakfasts were rushed out but missing the mushrooms which my partner ordered!! They weren't that busy but never mind. The hotel is too nice to mark them down on the breakfast error!! Im sure it was a one off.
This hotel is highly recommended and I shall be telling all my family and friends about it!! I will certainly be returning to this little gem.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Becky A
Thank you for a lovely review and thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am delighted to read a positive review, after a fair few negative reviews of our Petite Executive Double’s; to me they are small but filled with character and quaint touches. Most of our Executives do have a shower but if you did require a roll top bath please email us before your stay.

I am sorry to read that there was an error with your breakfast order, we will have to give you extra mushrooms on your next visit.

Please ring and book direct next time so we can offer you our direct booking discount.

Thank you once again for cheering us all up here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had a 1 night stay at the Marmadukes Hotel on the 2nd June 2014 for our 30th Wedding Anniversary. We arrived early. But were greeted by 2 very friendly members of staff. We were told the room was not quiet ready. But all we wanted was the car to be left in the car park whilst we went into town which was no trouble. We arrived back several hour later to be shown our room. It was exactly what we had seen on the internet so for use to get the room we really wanted was a bonus. Because it doesn't happen very often. Although the stay the staff were very polite even from when I booked the hotel over the phone. Will be recommending this hotel to family and friends alike. The character of the hotel was so quirky it was all the things my wife love in a house of that style.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 4 poster bedroom which was out of this world.
1 Thank Brianl1960
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for an amazing five star review! We really do appreciate you taking the time out and placing your special review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

We are so pleased to read that you chose Marmadukes to celebrate your 30th wedding anniversary. Furthermore we are pleased to read that you found us all friendly and polite, from making your reservation to staying with us.

We try and allocate all our guests to their specific requirements and when you book direct it makes this easier to honour.

Again thank you, your review has placed an even bigger smile on our faces. We will look forward to your next visit.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here for a stag do with a few friends, for what we paid I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by the size of the place. I suppose it was a great location a ten minute walk into the main city centre but probably expected a bit more. The service was fantastic, all the young girls were great and very helpful. Bedrooms were quite small so if you are thinking of a romantic weekend I would say go somewhere else

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you found us expensive, unfortunately York can command a higher price than normal when you book to stay one night on a Saturday evening, especially when the York races are on. Tip for guests staying in York if your dates are flexible and you are not attending the races it is advisable to ask us the best rate for the date period you have in mind.

I hope you enjoyed your stag weekend in York, I know we ensured your bedrooms were ready particularly early in the morning so you could all get changed in time for your days activities.

The size of your bedrooms you booked were our ‘Petite Doubles’ these bedrooms are generally for guests wanting a little more luxury but with a smaller price tag, maybe if you were wanting to enjoy York and have a perfect retreat to come back to without the city noise.

Hopefully if you return back with a partner we would recommend another room which may suit your needs better next time.

Thank you for your lovely comments about our team here and that you found us helpful.

St Albans
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel, so refreshing from the usual boring mundane chain hotels. Quaint, olde worlde but super bedrooms, lovely comfy beds, fabulous fresh cooked breakfast not an awful tepid buffet. Please don't stay there....it's too nice and I don't want it getting too popular!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank thekingsmessenger
Thank you for a wonderful five star review!!

This is one of the sweetest reviews I have had the pleasure of reading , so personally thank you and I am sure the team here are very grateful.

We are different and it was a struggle to describe this hotel at the start, we are small, we have our faults but hopefully what you have seen here is what we see here. The antique furniture is worn in parts, but beautiful and useful, we are a nation of if something is not aesthetically pleasing anymore then disregard and start again. Here we believe in preserving, we believe in caring not just furniture but you the guest, if you want somewhere in personable we will not be for you.

We will look forward to you returning, guests like yourself are priceless and we will always find a room for you.

Thank you again for your review.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you are looking for a wonderful hotel to stay in this beautiful city then you would be hard pressed to better Marmadukes as it ticks "every box". Set in a leafy side street a few minutes from the city centre it is ideally situated for a perfect break.

The staff are amazingly friendly,warm and welcoming and the relaxed atmosphere of this beautifully furnished small and personal establishment all make for a stay that you won't forget in a hurry.

The breakfasts are all freshly cooked to order and are to my mind "faultless" with a great choice of top quality produce. I have seen a few reviews on here complaining that Baked Beans were not available. Well folks they have now been included on the menu so feel free to indulge lol.

Honestly if "the lack of beans" is your only worry then "problem solved" ...... Fill your boots people and Enjoy your York trip at this delightful hotel.

Well done Lucy,Fran and team.

See you very soon xx

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

A wonderful Five Star review is just amazing!

You set our Hotel in the prefect location to which it is placed, only a short walk from the city walls but still quite enough to relax after the hustle and bustle.

Thank you for your kind comments of our team here. We do care about our guests and If we can do anything for anybody we will, you just need to ask.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your breakfast here at Marmadukes Town House hotel, our quality of produce Is sourced from local suppliers and we do try and buy quality items, our breakfast is going through a revamp so hopefully it will cater for everybody shortly. A comment about baked beans and not in a negative context…oh my, times are changing.

Thank you for once again taking the time to write this review, we can’t wait to see you back here!

Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Recently returned from a 3 night mid week stay at the hotel. Great location and friendly staff but a bit disorganised! We booked through Booking.com and requested a room with a bath. We got a deluxe room with a very small bathroom which you could not move in and shower only. Although we were offered to swap rooms if any became available the following day. The room was very cold and right at the top of the house up 3 flights of stairs, each day our key card would not work so we had to go back down to reception to reactivate it. Good job we are a fairly fit mature couple! Breakfast during the week was a bit unorganised, not enough staff and therefore long waits and quite a few mistakes being made. Also, food was not very warm. Altogether not a bad hotel but expensive for what you get.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clive8389
Marmadukes Town... H, Front Office Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time and writing your review.

I am pleased to read that your returned back to us and you found staff helpful, disorganised is not something I hear often on here or on my personal feedback. Hopefully for future guests reading this, I can only urge you to book direct, you not only get the best available reduced rate for booking direct but we can ensure any request you have are actioned at the time of your booking.

Every bedroom does have radiators and our heating is normally on full force, I wish you had of mentioned this during your stay as we would have boosted our heating system for you.

I believe during your, it was children’s holidays, the staffing levels were adequately staffed however we did experience busy peaks, again I am really sorry this affected your stay with us, we do try and work as quickly as possible and serving the best quality possible.

We are competitively priced and as rates are analysed daily with our competitors in York.

I do hope you decide to return back to us, as all feedback is taken serious and we always strive toward a better product.

Thank you once again.