“oasis in the city”

Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in York
northern england
“oasis in the city”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Lovely peacefull hotel just a few minutes walk from the city centre, excellent staff, lovely rooms and decor, good breakfasts and a lovely place to spoil yourselves for a few days
Although there was no option of an evening
meal, the sister hotels just a short walk away were offering a good choice of menu.
I would reccomend the parking in the hotel as the surrounding streets are for permit holders only except on Sundays

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for a perfect 5 star review.

We are situated in a lovely peaceful area of York, such a short distance from the City Centre. We do not have an evening restaurant on site, but with being only a ten minute walk away from the city walls you have all the options of York’s fabulous restaurant selection, especially our wonderful sister inns (Lamb & Lion & Guy Fawkes).

Car Parking is definitely recommended to pre-book at the charge of £5 per night; this is the best value for money.

Thank you once again for finding the time and leaving an amazing review.

Lucy Neville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Although I will be 40 in April, this was unbelievably the first hotel that I've actually ever booked. I was a little nervous as it was a surprise treat for my partner and I wanted it to be perfect but to even say that I had a small budget was being generous!!

I spoke with staff at the hotel, at length on two occasions and they were extremely friendly, patient and helpful, not only about their hotel but about York and my stay in general.

When we arrived we had the marvellous surprise of being upgraded and the room was divine! Beautiful, clean, well set out and marvellous views. Despite being busy the staff were yet again fantastic and made us very welcome. I felt we were treated as valued, individual visitors and not 'just another check in'.

I cannot fault a thing about the stay. the bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious and the room airy (it was and extremely warm weekend) and peaceful, we felt totally relaxed.

The breakfast slot was generous so we had the scope to get up early and get on with the day or have a lazier morning (we chose the latter!!) and the dining area well set out and again immaculate. There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere and the staff were friednly and eager to please. The quality of the food was top notch and we requested our own cooked sandwich creation which they were happy to prepare.

We took the opportunity to nosey around the other lounges and although we didn't use them we were suitably impressed. The decor was fantastic and the layout perfect for several 'parties' to relax in their own little spaces.

I had pre-booked parking and I would advise any future visitors to do the same as the price was very competitive compared to the York city charges. The location of the hotel is very convenient for a stroll into the centre.

I hope that I am lucky enough to be able to return for another stay in the future.

Room Tip: 506 is **perfect**
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Firstly thank you from all the team here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel; this is one of the warmest and kindest reviews I have read on here.

I am so pleased we did not disappoint on such a special occasion. We do value all of our customers and care a great deal about your stay with us, to read that this was apparent in your review; this has cheered all the team up here.

Our lounge areas are very different, we have our cosy red lounge to get comfy and watch TV or our grey lounge is light and airy to read your morning newspaper in.

Any requests whether it be a speciality sandwich or a specific type of bedroom, just ask we will always try our hardest to make your stay the perfect getaway.

I truly hope we are lucky enough to have you return back to us.

Long Compton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at Marmadukes Hotel for two nights this week (June 2014) and am full of praise for the hotel. I was very warmly welcomed and my single room was exactly as described on the telephone and website. Although small (as described) my room was attractively furnished and the en-suite bathroom convenient and very clean. Even the shower, which normally I hate, was easy to use and, unlike most hotels, one didn't drench the bathroom floor whilst trying to avoid strong jets of water! I enjoyed breakfast at which just the sort of food I like was served and it was pleasant to have tea in the elegant and comfortable drawing room.
All of the staff were pleasant, friendly and very helpful and I intend to make another visit in the future.
Carol.

Room Tip: I have no knowledge of other rooms. Mine was quiet during my stay and there was no noise from cars...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for an amazing Five Star review.

Our Single Bedrooms are certainly petite but very popular and certainly they are lovely bedrooms if you are sightseeing. To future guests who are interested in our single bedrooms, they both have showers so if you do wish for a bath, please book a double bedroom.

I am so pleased to read in a number of reviews, that our breakfast is receiving more positive responses, please don’t forget we are always happy to offer requests.

Thank you once again Carol and you have cheered us up no end here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Marmadukes for one night, the staff couldn't be more helpful. The hotel was lovely, clean and beautifully fitted out. The room we stayed in (503) was a little small but perfectly adequate for the night.
Breakfast was plentiful and a good choice to be had.
The only disappointment was the £5.00 per night parking fee (other guest houses do not charge)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time and placing a review on here for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

I am pleased that you have mentioned the cleaning standards and how lovely our décor is in this beautiful old building. The bedroom in which you stayed was our Petite Executive Bedroom and perfect for a one night stay.

We have revamped our breakfast and hopefully after listening to our guests requests on here and directly, we have provided you with a variety of choices.

I am sorry that you found our car parking charge disappointing, it is very reasonable compared to car parks in the vicinity.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you return back to us.

Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

After a very long and hard 3 month's work my Husband was in need of some chill out time with all his joints feeling the pressure I booked 2 nights in the loft room with a barrel sauna. On arrival we booked in it was about 11am it was a little early for the room to be ready so we paid and of we went for a nice meal with drink.

After a lovely meal we headed back to the hotel only to be shown to a room we did not book.
On informing Jamie of the error he went to investigate.15 minutes later and getting a bit uncomfortable on being left standing on the stairs we went to look for Jamie only to find him with other clients!

Our room was double booked and they had let some one who checked in after us have the room!

They did offer us the room available at a reduced rate but apart from the room having no shower and we are both unable to get in and out of a bath my husband was in need of the sauna.

The young lady at the reception was full of apologies and was adamant it was the fault of the booking company and not the Hotel.

We were given our money back and a quick look on her computer told us a nearby Hotel had rooms but she could not confirm this as Jamie had gone on the telephone.

The Hotel we made our own way to was very nice but had no spa facilities.
It has come to our attention that the staff at the Marmadukes House no matter who's fault the double booking was should not have let us go with no confirmed accommodation and they should have tried to get as near to the original booking as possible i.e. spa facilities.

As My husband had had alcohol he could not drive if this was not the case we would have gone straight home. The experience was quite upsetting . we have our own business so I do understand mistakes do occur it was the unprofessional way we was treated that annoyed us.

We have been offered a 10% discount on a future booking which I am going to say no thank you!

Our precious time together and relax was spoilt.
Lets hope in about six months time we will be able to have some more time of work.

I would advise if you decide to go to this Hotel and book a executive room don't take room 508 the bedroom is so small if you lean forward when getting out of bed you will bang your head on the wall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Julie M
Thailand
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Nice location short walk to town, lovely breakfast, helpful staff, great old building..a find would go back for sure.
Parking people and place all done it for us...
York great also bar some restaurants see other reviews

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your short but very sweet review on Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

We are a perfect location and we will always try and do all possible to help you.

York is a fabulous destination and it is very hard to not appreciate these wonderful surroundings we are situated in.

Thank you once again and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Northamptonshire
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Marmadukes is a great location, just a 10 minute walk from the city walls and another couple of minutes to the Minster. It is a comfortable hotel with two excellent lounges where complimentary tea is served after a busy day sight seeing. The breakfast room is well presented and the waitress service very attentive. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and well decorated and the big bed was very comfortable. Tea making facilities are in the room.

Room Tip: Our room had a bath which you had to sit in to shower; you may want to specify a room with a shower...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and placing a review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Our location I am sure cannot be faulted, you couldn’t be better situated for visiting the sites and enjoying the peace and quiet at the same time.

I am really pleased to read the more positive reviews regarding our breakfast and hopefully the changes we have made are now making a difference.

Thank you for placing your tip, we are happy to honour requests if you prefer a bath or a shower but please remember that our Four Poster bedrooms all have baths in their bathrooms.

Thank you again and I will look forward to you returning back to us.