Marmadukes Town House Hotel
  • Pool
US$203
US$163
  • Restaurant
Park Inn by Radisson York(York)(Great Value!)
US$221
US$102
Park Inn
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$89
  • Restaurant
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$95
  • Pool
US$125
US$116
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn York City Centre(York)(Great Value!)
US$91
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$71
Hilton York(York)
US$142
US$117
  • Room Service
1,693 results
All reviewsloft suiteroll top bathyork suitefour posterpark restaurantantique furniturefree standing bathlovely hoteldouble showercity centreminute walkbreakfast was excellentmain buildingposter bedfull englishone night staybeautiful room
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My girlfriend and I were attending an event in York and wanted a nice hotel to stay in for the night. The pictures of Marmadukes caught my eye as it looked very beautiful and it certainly was that. The building is an old, large town house with fantastic reception rooms, a nice bar, bright restaurant and lovely garden at the back. It's a fantastic location, about a 10-15 minute walk from the city wall which you can then walk along to get to the city centre. Remember to book parking in advance; however, I didn't and the staff still managed to accommodate me.

We stayed in a four-poster room which was superb. the room was very nicely decorated, very clean, quiet, spacious, light and well-equipped. It was a joy to be in, almost made it a shame I had to go out that evening! The roll-top bath is a great touch. I saw somebody had written not to stay in a four poster because you can't see the TV.... try shifting over!

I am troubled to read a recent bad review about this hotel which appears to display the staff in a bad light. Let me very simply explain just how wrong people can be! A few days before arriving, I emailed about a possible upgrade, which Daisy gladly helped me with and arranged for us to be moved into a four-poster room as there was availability (not all hotels will do that). Upon arrival we were very warmly welcomed by a young girl on the reception and shown to our room. I had an outfit nightmare, I was going to a black tie event and discovered that the top button of my new jacket was missing! The girl on reception searched everywhere to find me a needle and thread even whilst busy dealing with another, understanding customer. After checking out, tired and worse for wear from the night before, my girlfriend and I were undecided as to whether we should go home or have a walk around York. As they were so friendly, we got chatting to Daisy and Lucy (the general manager) who recommended various things to do and see all within walking distance (thankfully not just shopping!). Lucy even let us leave our car in their car park until it was next needed later in the afternoon and offered us a cheap parking permit if we needed the whole day - bear in mind this was all AFTER we had checked out and we hadn't even previously met these staff. We had a very enjoyable time following their suggestions and just picked the car up later.

We will definitely be returning to Marmadukes, hopefully the loft suite next time! one point on value, remember hotels in York are expensive on a weekend. Even the Holiday Inn was about £95 when I was booking. Our room was £129 which included breakfast, certainly comparatively good value. If you are looking for a hotel which is a little different in its individual attention to detail, then this is for you. I found it odd to see bad reviews for this hotel so decided to look at some of them. Frankly, some of the things that people complain about are ridiculous. Things can go wrong and are sometimes beyond human control. what is important in the hospitality industry is how the management/staff deal with any problems and how friendly they are in their approach. I had no problems at Marmadukes but feel very confident that, if I did, the staff would have done everything they could to help. Writing a nonsensical bad review does nothing to help anyone. I would urge anyone reading to take note of all the good things said about this hotel and thoroughly recommend a visit!

We'll be back, and thank you again,
Chris and Jess.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 509, a four poster. This was a gorgeous room and very spacious with a separate bathroom and roll top bath. Note, it doesn't have a standing shower. This didn't bother me but if it something you want then request it prior to arrival.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chris_towland90
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

What an incredible review! Thank you so much for taking the time out and posting such a well-documented review on for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

We are a fabulous location and certainly walkable to the city centre. We have lovely lounges and yes our garden does not get mentioned very often and we find this a shame as it is a perfect secluded garden where you can enjoy reading the newspaper with you morning coffee or relax and have an evening drink in.

You certainly have made all the team here shine. From our Reception team welcoming you, to the cleaning standard our Housekeeping team work hard to keep to our beautiful standards to the lovely restaurant team.

Our Sales & Revenue Manager ensures that we are competitively priced in York so we are always positioned at the correct level in comparison to our competitors. You are worth spending a little more time and ensuring you book what you need for your trip in York.

Well Chris & Jess we can’t wait to show off our Loft Suite to you and have a special guest like yourselves return back to us as quickly as possible.

My Very Best Wishes & Kindest Regards

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Lovely peacefull hotel just a few minutes walk from the city centre, excellent staff, lovely rooms and decor, good breakfasts and a lovely place to spoil yourselves for a few days
Although there was no option of an evening
meal, the sister hotels just a short walk away were offering a good choice of menu.
I would reccomend the parking in the hotel as the surrounding streets are for permit holders only except on Sundays

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a perfect 5 star review.

We are situated in a lovely peaceful area of York, such a short distance from the City Centre. We do not have an evening restaurant on site, but with being only a ten minute walk away from the city walls you have all the options of York’s fabulous restaurant selection, especially our wonderful sister inns (Lamb & Lion & Guy Fawkes).

Car Parking is definitely recommended to pre-book at the charge of £5 per night; this is the best value for money.

Thank you once again for finding the time and leaving an amazing review.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Although I will be 40 in April, this was unbelievably the first hotel that I've actually ever booked. I was a little nervous as it was a surprise treat for my partner and I wanted it to be perfect but to even say that I had a small budget was being generous!!

I spoke with staff at the hotel, at length on two occasions and they were extremely friendly, patient and helpful, not only about their hotel but about York and my stay in general.

When we arrived we had the marvellous surprise of being upgraded and the room was divine! Beautiful, clean, well set out and marvellous views. Despite being busy the staff were yet again fantastic and made us very welcome. I felt we were treated as valued, individual visitors and not 'just another check in'.

I cannot fault a thing about the stay. the bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious and the room airy (it was and extremely warm weekend) and peaceful, we felt totally relaxed.

The breakfast slot was generous so we had the scope to get up early and get on with the day or have a lazier morning (we chose the latter!!) and the dining area well set out and again immaculate. There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere and the staff were friednly and eager to please. The quality of the food was top notch and we requested our own cooked sandwich creation which they were happy to prepare.

We took the opportunity to nosey around the other lounges and although we didn't use them we were suitably impressed. The decor was fantastic and the layout perfect for several 'parties' to relax in their own little spaces.

I had pre-booked parking and I would advise any future visitors to do the same as the price was very competitive compared to the York city charges. The location of the hotel is very convenient for a stroll into the centre.

I hope that I am lucky enough to be able to return for another stay in the future.

Room Tip: 506 is **perfect**
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Firstly thank you from all the team here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel; this is one of the warmest and kindest reviews I have read on here.

I am so pleased we did not disappoint on such a special occasion. We do value all of our customers and care a great deal about your stay with us, to read that this was apparent in your review; this has cheered all the team up here.

Our lounge areas are very different, we have our cosy red lounge to get comfy and watch TV or our grey lounge is light and airy to read your morning newspaper in.

Any requests whether it be a speciality sandwich or a specific type of bedroom, just ask we will always try our hardest to make your stay the perfect getaway.

I truly hope we are lucky enough to have you return back to us.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at Marmadukes Hotel for two nights this week (June 2014) and am full of praise for the hotel. I was very warmly welcomed and my single room was exactly as described on the telephone and website. Although small (as described) my room was attractively furnished and the en-suite bathroom convenient and very clean. Even the shower, which normally I hate, was easy to use and, unlike most hotels, one didn't drench the bathroom floor whilst trying to avoid strong jets of water! I enjoyed breakfast at which just the sort of food I like was served and it was pleasant to have tea in the elegant and comfortable drawing room.
All of the staff were pleasant, friendly and very helpful and I intend to make another visit in the future.
Carol.

Room Tip: I have no knowledge of other rooms. Mine was quiet during my stay and there was no noise from cars or other guests. (Room 511)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for an amazing Five Star review.

Our Single Bedrooms are certainly petite but very popular and certainly they are lovely bedrooms if you are sightseeing. To future guests who are interested in our single bedrooms, they both have showers so if you do wish for a bath, please book a double bedroom.

I am so pleased to read in a number of reviews, that our breakfast is receiving more positive responses, please don’t forget we are always happy to offer requests.

Thank you once again Carol and you have cheered us up no end here at Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Marmadukes for one night, the staff couldn't be more helpful. The hotel was lovely, clean and beautifully fitted out. The room we stayed in (503) was a little small but perfectly adequate for the night.
Breakfast was plentiful and a good choice to be had.
The only disappointment was the £5.00 per night parking fee (other guest houses do not charge)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time and placing a review on here for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

I am pleased that you have mentioned the cleaning standards and how lovely our décor is in this beautiful old building. The bedroom in which you stayed was our Petite Executive Bedroom and perfect for a one night stay.

We have revamped our breakfast and hopefully after listening to our guests requests on here and directly, we have provided you with a variety of choices.

I am sorry that you found our car parking charge disappointing, it is very reasonable compared to car parks in the vicinity.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you return back to us.