“A Very Special Stay”

Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in York
Leeds, West Yorkshire
“A Very Special Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2008

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend away to propose and our stay at Marmadukes made the occasion even more special.

We were warmly greeted and shown to the Loft Suite which is even more lovely than the pictures suggest - I had no idea this is where we were staying and was blown away. The decor is lovely and you have all you need in the way of tvs, dvd, wireless internet and even a playstation.

The bedroom has a small dressing room which is such a nice touch (and means you needn't have suitcases/clothes lying around the place) but the bathroom really is this suite's crowning glory! It is absolutely HUGE with a lovely big shower (with two shower heads!), a lovely big bath and even a sauna which is an unusual but wonderful addition.

As we were celebrating, the staff did all they could to make our stay even more special - we even had a dining table set up in the living area of the suite so that we could enjoy some privacy together which was such a treat. The waiting staff brought each course up and were so friendly, even though it's a fair hike up many stairs to get there, nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel itself is so tastefully decorated and has real charm - although modern, it's certainly not a characterless box, nor is it filled with chintz; the owners have achieved a perfect, classy balance. We couldn't fault the food either - everything we ordered was delicious. There is also plenty to choose from for breakfast so you needn't leave with an empty stomach.

All in all, the hotel was wonderful and an added thanks to the staff who were so accomodating that they really enhanced an already fabulous trip!

• Liked — Beatiful suite and faultless staff
  • Disliked — No complaints - everything was perfect!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SamH84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

We have just returned from a two night stay @ marmadukes, and i must say it was fantastic we booked the loft suite for an anniversary treat. The room was brilliant i would definately recommend it!!!!! We only had breakfast @ the hotel so i dont know what the restaurant is like,but all in all 10/10 to this fabulous hotel definately be returning in the near future 1st class**********

• Liked — the sauna in room fab!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ddcj
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

My husband and i treated ourselves to a weekend in the loft suite here as a christmas present to ourselves - what a great idea it turned out to be.
This is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are grand but cosy, and the staff were welcoming and helpful.
I can't review the normal rooms but if you want to push the boat out the loft suite is a real gem. There is no lift but the stairs are worth the climb - the suite has a lovely lounge area with tv, dvd and films to borrow - just ask. The bedroom and small dressing area was charming, again with tv but the bathroom was the real delight - Enormous twin headed shower area for two, L'occitane toiletries, dressing gowns, freestanding double ended bath, candles and sauna - wow - if i hadn't promised myself some shopping i could have just stayed in here for the weekend!
The breakfast was wonderful, freshly cooked to order and really set you up for the day, the lounge area was really cosy, real open fire, resident cat (i am not keen on cats but it was no problem) and lovely coffee.
No niggles at all - it is a bit above the average spend for a weekend away but well worth it for a special occasion.

• Liked — The Luxurious Suite
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pollyschoices
Lincolnshire England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed at Marmadukes on 6 July 2008. We read the reviews before travelling and rang reception to check what sort of room we would receive, as it was a special occasion, and also an update on building work that had been reported in other reviews.

When we booked with Hotels.com the confirmation said it was a superior room, but this is just their standard double. When I spoke to the receptionist she pointed out that their better rooms were called 'deluxe doubles' and that Hotels.com called the standard room a superior room which could be misleading. However the very helpful receptionist reassured me by saying she would try to accomodate a free upgrade if the hotel was not too busy which was duly noted and acted upon on our arrival and we received the most delightful room, 514.

The room was absolutely beautiful with dark wood furniture and bed, rich drapes and bedding and a sparklingly clean bathroom complete with free standing,roll top, cast iron bath with shower attachment. Other reviewers have complained about the lack of a proper shower but we loved the soak in the bath and quite honestly I do not feel a shower cubicle would suit the style they are trying to achieve here.

We ate out at night so did not use the restaurant but the menu looked good and smelt lovely. York centre is only about a ten minute walk away and we left the car in the carpark the whole time and walked everywhere. The carpark is quite small but we had no problem getting in as it was a sunday and not so busy.

I ate a free continental breakfast in the morning which was plenty for me and my husband booked a full English. He said it was the best he had had in any hotel we have stopped in, it was beautifully presented with quality bacon and sausage. The cooked breakfast was extra at £13.95 but we were fully aware of this and thought it a reasonable charge considering the standard.

All in all we found Marmadukes delightful, the receptionist was helpful and friendly, the bar staff and waiting staff were the same. The hotel has been sympathetically designed, restored and decorated and it has the internal appearance of an old country mansion. I would have no hesitatation in recommending this hotel although I cannot comment on the size and quality on any other bedroom other than our own, which was superb.

One downside was that a conservatory is being bulit and the builders started work at 7.45am on Monday morning and it spoilt the atmosphere a bit. However we were aware of the building work when we booked and fortunately they were not there on the sunday. Saying that, the conservatory looks as if it will be a stunning addition to the property and once finished I would find it hard to find a fault with the hotel and service. We will be going back again for sure but after the builders have finished, so we can enjoy the new conservatory in peace.

No problem at check out and we were charged the correct fee quoted by Hotels.com. They allowed us to leave our car in the carpark for the rest of the day, after we had checked out, which was an added bonus.

Try 'Little Bettys' in York for a wonderful Cream Tea, lovely staff and service. Fantastic shops, we were torn between shopping and sightseeing, you need two full days at least to do both.

• Liked — Luxury bathroom, quality bed and lovely staff.
  • Disliked — Builders, but they should be gone soon.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2008

If the website of this hotel is to be believed this is a charming little hotel with outstanding service. Well, take that with a pinch of salt; they clearly employ a good copy-writer.

The hotel is okay, but that's it, ok. Our room was up three flights of stairs and was small but to be fair it was comfortably appointed and clean (with the exception of the chandelier which really does need a good dust!).

What really lets this hotel down is the standards of service. WE booked dinner in the chop room. The first table we were shown to we refused as there was simply not enough room to pull the chair from under the table and sit down. Dinner ordered and duly arrived - delicious it was too, but they served us the wrong side dishes. After the main course we were shown the desert menu. I ordered apple crumble but what actually arrived was apple pie. After much discussion with the waitress she finally brought me a rhubarb crumble (which we got free for the trouble).

Breakfast the following morning was an absolute shambles. Half a dozen empty tables, but all full of used dishes waiting to be cleared. At the prices charged for a room I would expect a full English breakfast, but the rate includes 'a light continental breakfast'. This consisted of a choice of three cereals, a choice of three fruit juices, some fresh fruit and croissant. No cold meat, yoghurts, cheeses or anything else I would expect on a continental buffet. And even then, no glasses for the juice and no bowls for the cereal. Coffee took 20 minutes to arrive, toast almost half an hour. We chose not to order from the overpriced cooked breakfast menu. The waitress was doing her best but clearly the chop room is woefully understaffed.

Would I stay here again? Not at the current prices. For not too much more it is possible to stay at The Hotel Du VIn and having stayed there too I can confirm it is in a different league in terms of quality, style and service. We chose Marmadukes to try somewhere different and came away wishing we;d stuck with Hotel Du VIn.

• Liked — Spotless bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank taxus
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

Having read some of the reviews here I was a little apprehensive and if I'd been booking somewhere myself I probably wouldn't have stayed here as I can be quite choosy! Fortunately, I was staying here with colleagues and had nothing to do with the decision making!

My experience was that this is a lovely hotel in a nice quiet street and within walking distance of the centre of York. They're still doing work on the hotel but my room was lovely, large and had a v nice bathroom. There was only a shower attachment over the bath but the lovely large tub made up for this! The room was nicely (traditionally) furnished, had plenty of facilities (flat screen tv on the wall, freeview and dvd player) and a comfortable bed.

The bar area was v cosy and all the staff that I encountered were polite, friendly and v efficient. Can't comment on the food as I didn't have any.

My only minor criticism is that this being an old building the sound proofing was v poor, so you might want to take some ear plugs!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Nottingham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

A colleague and I were recommended to stay at this hotel, when we had to visit York for work, and the price of a 'petite single' (they weren't joking!) was just under £70 prpn for bed and a light breakfast.
The hotel is about 10-15 minutes walk from the Minster and centre of York, but I would recommend a taxi ride from the station if you have big bags - although the traffic can be terrible!
Upon arrival at the hotel we had to pre-authorise credit cards for £100 for each room for the night (seems a bit excessive for me!), but the friendly receptionist then showed us around the main hotel area then took as to our rooms in the annexe. My room was on the 2nd floor and it is fair to say that I could only just get into the room with my small wheeled case! Having said that it was a reasonable sized single (wedged against the wall), with a plethora of cushions and even a teddy on it), a flat screen TV with satellite above it, tea/coffee facilities (with a very wide range of fruit teas, etc) and even a small packet of home-made fudge had been left for me!
The ensuite bathroom had a nice shower and had really beautiful toiletries provided (not sure why I got a bath bombe though, as there was no bath!).
We had a drink in the bar before heading out into York, and again the staff were friendly and professional, and the wine was decent quality.
In the morning there is a free light breakfast of tea/coffee, fruit juice, pastries/croissants and toast available (which we found to be more than adequate!). Cooked breakfasts can also be paid for, but I didn't see what items were available on there so cannot comment.
All in all I would be more than happy to stay at this hotel again, but I think that more than 1 night in the smaller rooms would probably be too much.

• Liked — Lots of lovely small touches like fudge and quality toiletries
  • Disliked — room was a bit pokey!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business