“Lovely Hotel, very friendly staff”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We checked into the hotel at 11am yesterday, went into York as room wasn't ready as we knew it wouldn't be, came back at 3pm soaking after a downpour and given tea and coffee as the room wasn't quite ready still. I had booked this weekend for my husband after a very bad year and some bad news, I had paid rather a lot of money for this treat, for one night. we stayed in the York Suite, as nothing else was available, which was lovely, I would have expected some nice touches though such as chocolates or a bottle of wine in the room or even nicely folded towels , just something to make it a bit special, I have stayed in a lot of cheaper places that do this. The wet room also had a blocked drain so it was like a paddling pool for a while. The breakfast was really nice and the staff were very friendly and couldn't fault the service. I was just a bit let down, especially after the effort of getting my husband to go away in the first place.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

It certainly was the worst weather imaginable the day you arrived. I am sorry that you felt this was a lot of money, York does command high rates and we are as competitive as possible for what is available in York at the time of your booking.

We would have happily have ordered you chocolates or wine, you can add these on hopefully when you return back with you daughter later on the year.

You did report this on your departure and our Maintenance team have looked into this, we didn’t find anything but we have placed a strong chemical to hopefully avoid this potentially happening.

I am pleased you found the staff friendly and you enjoyed your breakfast. I hope you do return back with you daughter as you suggested on your departure to enjoy York to its full potential.

There are newer reviews for Marmadukes Town House Hotel

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband, son and I spent 1 night here. My son had a small single which, while not spacious, was perfectly adequate. Our room was lovely, large and furnished with antiques. The bathroom was fine but our personal preference would have been to have a shower rather than a bath.

There are also very pretty sitting rooms and a garden for guests to use.

The breakfast was great but the main attraction for this hotel were the staff, who were incredibly helpful and friendly. They went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible, explaining how to get to places, ordering cabs, storing our luggage.

I would therefore highly recommend staying at Marmadukes, particularly as it is only a 5 minute walk to the Minster.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time and placing your Five Star review.

Your comment about our Team here is just lovely ‘main attraction’; smiles can be found all round at Marmadukes Town House Hotel. We will do all we can to help our guests, please ask and we will certainly try and find out as much information as possible.

Thank you for highly recommending us, we will look forward to you returning back to us.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and i stayed in Marmadukes last weekend as we were attending York races. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, the room was lovely, the staff were friendly & the breakfast was very enjoyable. We will stay here again when we visit York.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a Fantastic review.

Short, sweet and to the point. We do have a lovely hotel here where we try and make everybody as comfortable as possible. Thank you for your kind comments about our team here & our breakfast.

We will look forward to you returning back to us for the next York races.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Me and partner just stayed in the loft suite for a night - wish we were there for longer. Lovely interior throughout the hotel, very friendly staff, delicious breakfast and a great location. Couldn't have asked for anything more from our stay. Would highly recommend and will definitely be staying again!

Stayed: July 2014
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for an amazing Five Star review.

I am pleased to read that our Loft Suite made expectations and that you loved the interior of this bedroom. Thank you for a lovely staff mention, I am sure this will cheer our team up.

We will look forward to you returning back to us and recommending us would be the icing on the cake for us.

Very Best Wishes

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My Husband and I stayed at this gem of a hotel for a couple of nights to celebrate our wedding Anniversary.
Amazing staff, a lovely, clean room and delicious breakfast.
A short walk into the centre of York so we did not use our car for the whole stay.
Highly recommend this friendly hotel and we will return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and placing a review on for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

I am thrilled to read you choose here to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary, thank you also for your kind comments regarding our service and amazing staff.

We hope to see you back here before your next anniversary and a huge thank you for recommending us to your Friends & Family.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Really nice hotel, clean, comfy, good breakfast not sure if it does evening meals. About ten minute walk to the city centre, easy walk. Not much else to say other than would definitely stay there again.

2  Thank Ellen M

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Short, sweet and to the point, I am pleased we ticked all your boxes and that we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked the loft suite and were quite impressed with the bathroom. Fantastic bathtub, great sauna, very powerful shower.

The suite itself was well organized but certainly not charming. Dreary furniture, very service-able, but more 1960's than 1860's or any other prior period.

A bit noisy with little ventilation with the windows closed.

Really great internet which was much appreciated after several nights at locales with less than ideal internet.

Overall, thank heavens for the fantastic bathroom.

Room Tip: The public rooms have more period charm, and perhaps other rooms as well.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

The Loft suite bathroom is amazing with its very own sauna, double shower and double ended roll top bath. I am sorry you found the furniture dreary; I can honestly say you are the first to say this to me. We don’t really do modern here but our two suites are dressed in more recent fabrics and furnishings.

I am also surprised to read that you found the room to be noisy at the top of the building you tend to find it very quiet especially being situated a sleepy suburb. Not certain I have an answer or resolution for this comment.

I am however pleased that your internet was super speedy. I do hope you stay here again and hopefully we can allocate you a different bedroom that will hopefully have a little more charm and character.