Myself, my husband and our wedding party stayed at Marmadukes for 2 nights in Dec 2008.
To detail all the problems we had would take too long but here's the condensed version:
- No understanding of disability access / wheelchair user's needs
- Special catering requirements were ignored
- Poorly trained staff with bad attitudes
- Room not serviced on wedding day so we came back to an unmade bed, wet towels and dirty crockery on our wedding night
- Additional items had been put on our final bill which had actually been paid for in cash
- Flea bites
We mentioned all these problems to the hotel staff as and when they occurred but they never once apologised or tried to recover the situation.
I would never post a scathing review about an establishment without first giving them the chance to apologise and perhaps go to some effort to prove that the mistakes made were not representative of the experience of most guests. I wrote a three page letter to the owner of Marmadukes detailing our experience and eventually received a three paragraph reply from a member of his staff thanking me for bringing it to their attention.
In true Marmadukes style there was no real apology, no offer of compensation and no attempt to recover the situation - I can't help feeling that they really don't care if you complain or if they massively fail their customers and if this is the case, we consumers have no comeback other than to share our dismal experiences with others.
Yes - it's a beautiful hotel, yes - it's in a good location but the most basic things are just not right. Clean rooms, helpful and polite staff, correct bills, disabled access should all be a given - the most budget of hotel chains are getting this right but Marmadukes just aren't and they won't even listen to you when you tell them you expect more for your money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a tranquil, residential street, Marmadukes Town House Hotel offers free Wi-Fi, characterful rooms and is just a 10-minute walk from York Minster and the Theatre Royal. All 21 en-suite bedrooms have been individually decorated with antique furniture and feature both tea/coffee making facilities and an en-suite bathroom with complimentary toiletries. The Park Restaurant has been awarded three AA Rosettes and serves a tasting menu. Guests can relax in the residents lounges or the private, walled garden to the rear of the property. Marmadukes Town House Hotel is just a 10-minute stroll from the historic city centre and picturesque Shambles shopping area. York Railway Station can be reached in a 20-minute walk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Marmadukes Town House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marmadukes York
- Marmadukes Hotel York