“perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
yorkshire
“perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

perfect perfect perfect. We had a lovely time. The rooms are amazing, the staff are friendly. This hotel made our trip to York very special, I don't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Leicester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

My Mum and I had been saying for ages that we should go to York for a weekend break, so after much research and review reading, I booked a short stay at Marmadukes as a suprise birthday present for her. I was really impressed by the reviews and the photos and was expecting real luxury for the price I'd paid. The staff were originally very accommodating over the phone, allowing me to have a one night stay rather than the obligatory two nights which I was pleased about. So far so good. The first signs of doubt began creeping in however when I rang a few days before our arrival, requesting a dinner reservation at Harvilles. Having read Marmaduke's website, I was reliably informed that Harvilles was a small restaurant, located within the hotel itself- a convenient sister restaurant to the larger Harvilles situated in Fossgate. I was met by a confused lady on the other end of the line telling me that the restaurant did not exist and laughed when I said that it was advertised on the website. She told me that idea 'hadn't 'worked out' and I should 'ignore the website'. I was puzzled but opted for a reservation at Harvilles in Fossgate instead... the same lady took my booking then informed me that I would have to pay by cash as they were not currently accepting payment by cards. I was tempted at this point to cancel my booking altogether but kept the glowing reviews in mind and decided to press ahead regardless. Our first impressions of the hotel were good - close proximity to York, good parking facilities and friendly reception staff. The hotel itself was cozy and well maintained however on booking in we were again met with a strange request for cash or cheque payment only - no cards accepted. Five years ago this would have been the norm but in this day and age, being requested to hike off to the nearest cash machine to withdraw large sums of cash in a strange unknown city is not really my idea of a holiday... So anyway, we got to our room which was very well presented - large four poster bed, leather furniture, big bay window - no shower.... no shower???? This really did puzzle me as the last time I used a mixer tap and hose was when I was about six years old at my Grandma's house... I certainly did not feel my money was being well spent as I sat in a cold bathtub, holding the shower head above me with one hand and attempting to stop the water spilling everywhere with the other (no shower curtain provided). This would have been fine if i'd requested a room with a bath tub only, but I hadn't - opting instead for a power shower room. Being British and not wanting to spoil Mum's weekend, I decided not to complain. I didn't even complain in the morning after neither of us slept a wink in the uncomfortablly thin mattressed bed which seemed to slump in at the middle. I have since attempted to contact the hotel to speak with them direct but can not seem to raise anyone - one number tells me it's no longer being used and to 'try another number' (which is what exactly??????) and the other cheerfully repeats 'Welcome to DeBretton - our booking lines are now closed.' - i'm not really suprised!!!! In short, it is clear this hotel and its partner franchises are experiencing some sort of difficulty and this is filtering down to their customers who have paid a lot of money to experience something outstanding. If any of them are going to survive they need to pull their horns in a bit and be more honest and realistic with the way they market their hotel and the prices they charge to stay there....

1 Thank katee82
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

I can't assess on cost as my partner took me here as a gift for my birthday and will probably submit his own review.
The location is perfect - less than 10 minutes of slow-paced walking to the city walls and the Minster. The hotel is over two beautiful buildings which have been cared for and are superbly maintained, situated in a beautiful, leafy street which felt very safe. The Apple Blossom tree in the garden was shedding meaning there was a carpet of pink snow in the carpark. The hot tub and sauna at the end of the garden are a nice touch too!
We stayed in room 501 which is filled with antique furniture and has an amazing Half Tester bed (not suitable for those over 6ft tall I would say but perfect for us). The room was perfect and the character and charm was the perfect contrast to all the faceless chains I stay in with work. We arrived very tired and the staff were very helpful with regards to ordering and accepting delivery of some takeaway food and providing plates and cutlery. Our drinks were delivered to our room free of charge.
The following evening, the hotel staff were happy to arrange a taxi (free of charge) as we were dining at Harvilles (owned by the same people). The restaurant was fabulous and the service every bit as good and discreet as in the hotel. The cocktail bar upstairs in the restaurant is a real treat - the Art Deco surrounds really enhance your enjoyment of a cocktail made by great waiters.
We like to think we're good customers and my advice to other guests would be that they should be nice to the staff if they expect to receive good service. We both worked in the hotel industry as students and understand how much more you're willing to do for someone who treats you with courtesy and respect. We were polite and respectful and received first-rate customer service for the full duration of our stay. We'd come to the hotel directly from the Mariott in Durham (where I was staying on business) and had received very poor customer service in their bar and restaurant, so I was very appreciative of Marmadukes' professionalism.
Go there - stay! You'll love it I am sure.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
holstencat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

Really great place to stay, from the being shown to a lovely room on the top floor, through to the lounge to relax in.
Ate at the restaurant Harvilles that forms part of the group and very good meal.
Hotel has on site car parking and is only a short walk to the city walls, also a good restaurant if you turn right at the lights just before the walls, small cosy place but the name escapes me! (helpful I know!)
Hotel also benefits from a cat or two, and everything from the small touches to the helpful staff made this a great two night stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
paulcam11
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

after reading many reviews on this hotel and considering other options I decided to book in for a one night stay as a surprise for my wife to go and see Chicago in York.

All I can say is the whole experience was a delight, we arrived at 12 o'clock and were told that we couldnt check in until 2pm but were invited to park our car in the car park if we wanted to take a walk into York.The walk to the Minster and the city walls took approx 5 minutes, a lovely walk in the spring sun.

Upon our return to the hotel we were shown to our room and personally given a breakdown of the hotel amenities and facilities by the women that checked us in, we explained that we were going to the theatre and the receptionist offered to book our taxi for us which arrived promptly.

The room was exactly as shown in the photos with high quality linens on the bed and antique furniture and a wonderful chandelier above the bed, my only disappointment was to find no shower in the room as it had a stand alone roll top bath although this too was a refreshing change. bath gels and soaps were provided in the bathroom and enough towels were also in place (not just one bath/one hand per person)

After a great night at the theatre and a great meal followed by a few drinks we returned back to the hotel, the hotel was very quiet and the bed extremely confortable for a great nights sleep.

We went down to breakfast at 9.15am (although we were offered complimentary room service breakfast when we checked in) and this was also a wonderful experience, there was no end of choice and all the items certainly looked and tasted fresh, I can fully recommend the full English Breakfast, it was served up as you would expect in a five star restaurant.
The coffee was fresh not instant and served in an individual caffetierre and when I asked for a glass of iced water I was brought a bottle of mineral water not just water from the tap which when I enquired as to the cost was told it was free.

One major down side was the hair drying facility provided in the bathroom, although not a requirement for me, my wife complained that it took forever to dry her hair and she only has a bob, so longer hair would be a non starter.

Also after seeing so many comments about the hotel only accepting cash or cheque I enquired on the saturday if they accepted cards to be told that currently they do not, so we had to withdraw a lot more money than I would like to have walked around with on a saturday night, this should have been told to us or maybe a sign at reception be put up when checking in. But this is me being highly critical on a great stay.

We have already talked today of returning to York again with friends and would definitely book this hotel again although will definitely bring a hairdryer next time

A top class hotel with top class service in a top class location, would recomend to all.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

My partner and I stayed here on 28th Feb. I had spent weeks searching online for a hotel in the city centre that would allow a one night stay at the weekend to no avail and assumed that Marmadukes would be the same. I was pleasantly suprised to be told that not only could we have a room for just the one night but they had a special offer on and if we ate at their restaurant in York centre Harvilles we would get the room half price. As the price of the room was £120 this would mean that we would not be out of pocket until our restaurant bill came to over £60.00 so we were more than happy with the offer.
We arrived before check in time of 2 o,clock but it was no problem to leave the car in the car park whilst we walked to the city centre (10 min walk) for the afternoon.
On our return we were greeted by friendly staff, check in was quick and when we asked the receptionist to book us a taxi for our journey to the restaurant this was happily arranged for us and we were told to just get a receipt for the journey and the return journey and the cost would be re-imbursed.
Our room was in the second building and was exactly as I was expecting having seen the pictures online. The room was quite small but decorated very tastefully and the bed was lovely and comfy with crisp clean linen. There was plenty of tea, coffee and milk, a hairdryer, tv (which my other half did have a problem trying to get it working, but we did not ask for assistance as we were going out anyway). My only cristiscm of the room would be the lighting was very dim which created a lovely atmosphere but was not very good for applying make up in !. I resorted to putting my 'face on' in the bathroom which was fine but a bit of a shame I couldn't take advantage of the lovely antique dressing table in the room.
The bathroom itself was enormous, almost as big as the room and had a lovely cast iron bath. There was only a hand held shower but I knew this before I booked and had requested the bath for a change. Next time I would love to try the bath butler service where a butler will come and run your bath with aromatherapy products chosen from a menu and you can also have chilled champagne.
Whilst he waited for me to get ready my partner went down to the bar for a drink and to ask if we could have room service for breakfast, again this was no problem and no extra charge and again we were pleasantly suprised to find that we were offered a full breakfast menu and not the continental one we were expecting. Needless to say my partner ordered everything, toast, fruit salad, cereal, juice, tea and full English, all of which was delivered to our room by friendly waitresses the next morning at the agreed time.
The excellent service continued at Harvilles where nothing was too much trouble and the food and the cocktails were excellent. The steak and chips were the best ever. Our bill came to just £74.00 for two steak with chips, two side orders, two desserts, two cocktails, three beers and two glasses of wine which I think was extremely good value considering the high standard of food and service.
All in all for a self confessed 'critic by nature' a truly lovely hotel with top class service which is very rare these days. I cant wait to stay again!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2009

Booked this hotel as a weekend base for ourselves and about 20 guests attending our wedding celebrations which were nearby in York. One person, Emma, co-ordinated all booking arrangements and ensured everything leading up to the visit was taken care for us and our guests.

All rooms were furnished with antique furniture and their own individual style, the quality of which we would compare with many top end boutique hotels. The service throughout was outstanding; this was consistent from the personal care of Martin, the manager, to the professionalism of the night porter, Michael - nothing ever seemed to be too much trouble for the staff.

Breakfasts were delicious, and the group dinner arranged for our last night was excellent value and, again, excellent service from Ian and the team.

We would strongly recommend this hotel to family, friends and business colleagues visiting York.

• Stayed February 2009