“Charming hotel & friendly staff”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 8 July 2009

A really lovely Victorian hotel that is full of character with a relaxed atmosphere and helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Marmadukes Town House Hotel

Reviewed 7 June 2009

We stayed the other night having booked a week or so ago. After the booking we found the website slating the restaurant, the owner and every business in the company, so we were a little worried about what we had let ourselves in for. Fortunately our fears were unfounded and we had no problems whatsoever. The front of house staff were all very friendly, polite and helpful, the room was very nice with only a few minor problems and the breakfast in the morning was excellent. The location is excellent, very close to the centre of town, good parking and just one turn off the main road so no fear of getting lost.
The place has a spa/jacuzzi/hot tub in the rear garden which we did not use, and although it did breakfast I don't believe they do food on an evening, but they are very keen to get you in elsewhere (usually one of the restaurants in the same company, unsurprisingly, but we did not dine at any of these).

The hotel is aesthetically very pleasing, outside and in. The niggles with the room were just that a couple of bulbs in the chandelier had blown and that there were empty picture hooks on the wall, which was odd but of no concern. The bed was very comfy, the TV etc fine and the bathroom very pleasant. I'd have liked to have seen filter coffee in the rooms but the tea etc was good quality, and the staff would bring up loose tea in a pot with no quibbles and no charge.

After the fright of the angry reviews and complaints we did delve a little deeper and the business did supposedly have its back up against the wall so perhaps it was under new management or they were being extra nice to keep everyone happy. Either way I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We recently stayed at the Marmadukes although the hotel is very well presented with many orginal features and the staff where without doubt very accommodating. After checking in we decided to spend the evening in York on our return and later that evening we decided to get a good night sleep, over many years of travelling around the world to good hotel's and not so good hotels I have slept on all kinds of beds but without doubt the worse bed that I have ever slept or attempted to sleep in was at the Marmadukes. Never mind I thought for the priced we paid we will have a good breakfast to set us up for our journey home (not) contemporary and minuscule is how I would describe breakfast coffee or tea cereal etc all of which you had to help yourself if you wanted toast or any thing warm or cooked this was an extra charge Never Again

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2009

perfect perfect perfect. We had a lovely time. The rooms are amazing, the staff are friendly. This hotel made our trip to York very special, I don't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2009

My Mum and I had been saying for ages that we should go to York for a weekend break, so after much research and review reading, I booked a short stay at Marmadukes as a suprise birthday present for her. I was really impressed by the reviews and the photos and was expecting real luxury for the price I'd paid. The staff were originally very accommodating over the phone, allowing me to have a one night stay rather than the obligatory two nights which I was pleased about. So far so good. The first signs of doubt began creeping in however when I rang a few days before our arrival, requesting a dinner reservation at Harvilles. Having read Marmaduke's website, I was reliably informed that Harvilles was a small restaurant, located within the hotel itself- a convenient sister restaurant to the larger Harvilles situated in Fossgate. I was met by a confused lady on the other end of the line telling me that the restaurant did not exist and laughed when I said that it was advertised on the website. She told me that idea 'hadn't 'worked out' and I should 'ignore the website'. I was puzzled but opted for a reservation at Harvilles in Fossgate instead... the same lady took my booking then informed me that I would have to pay by cash as they were not currently accepting payment by cards. I was tempted at this point to cancel my booking altogether but kept the glowing reviews in mind and decided to press ahead regardless. Our first impressions of the hotel were good - close proximity to York, good parking facilities and friendly reception staff. The hotel itself was cozy and well maintained however on booking in we were again met with a strange request for cash or cheque payment only - no cards accepted. Five years ago this would have been the norm but in this day and age, being requested to hike off to the nearest cash machine to withdraw large sums of cash in a strange unknown city is not really my idea of a holiday... So anyway, we got to our room which was very well presented - large four poster bed, leather furniture, big bay window - no shower.... no shower???? This really did puzzle me as the last time I used a mixer tap and hose was when I was about six years old at my Grandma's house... I certainly did not feel my money was being well spent as I sat in a cold bathtub, holding the shower head above me with one hand and attempting to stop the water spilling everywhere with the other (no shower curtain provided). This would have been fine if i'd requested a room with a bath tub only, but I hadn't - opting instead for a power shower room. Being British and not wanting to spoil Mum's weekend, I decided not to complain. I didn't even complain in the morning after neither of us slept a wink in the uncomfortablly thin mattressed bed which seemed to slump in at the middle. I have since attempted to contact the hotel to speak with them direct but can not seem to raise anyone - one number tells me it's no longer being used and to 'try another number' (which is what exactly??????) and the other cheerfully repeats 'Welcome to DeBretton - our booking lines are now closed.' - i'm not really suprised!!!! In short, it is clear this hotel and its partner franchises are experiencing some sort of difficulty and this is filtering down to their customers who have paid a lot of money to experience something outstanding. If any of them are going to survive they need to pull their horns in a bit and be more honest and realistic with the way they market their hotel and the prices they charge to stay there....

1  Thank katee82
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I can't assess on cost as my partner took me here as a gift for my birthday and will probably submit his own review.
The location is perfect - less than 10 minutes of slow-paced walking to the city walls and the Minster. The hotel is over two beautiful buildings which have been cared for and are superbly maintained, situated in a beautiful, leafy street which felt very safe. The Apple Blossom tree in the garden was shedding meaning there was a carpet of pink snow in the carpark. The hot tub and sauna at the end of the garden are a nice touch too!
We stayed in room 501 which is filled with antique furniture and has an amazing Half Tester bed (not suitable for those over 6ft tall I would say but perfect for us). The room was perfect and the character and charm was the perfect contrast to all the faceless chains I stay in with work. We arrived very tired and the staff were very helpful with regards to ordering and accepting delivery of some takeaway food and providing plates and cutlery. Our drinks were delivered to our room free of charge.
The following evening, the hotel staff were happy to arrange a taxi (free of charge) as we were dining at Harvilles (owned by the same people). The restaurant was fabulous and the service every bit as good and discreet as in the hotel. The cocktail bar upstairs in the restaurant is a real treat - the Art Deco surrounds really enhance your enjoyment of a cocktail made by great waiters.
We like to think we're good customers and my advice to other guests would be that they should be nice to the staff if they expect to receive good service. We both worked in the hotel industry as students and understand how much more you're willing to do for someone who treats you with courtesy and respect. We were polite and respectful and received first-rate customer service for the full duration of our stay. We'd come to the hotel directly from the Mariott in Durham (where I was staying on business) and had received very poor customer service in their bar and restaurant, so I was very appreciative of Marmadukes' professionalism.
Go there - stay! You'll love it I am sure.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Really great place to stay, from the being shown to a lovely room on the top floor, through to the lounge to relax in.
Ate at the restaurant Harvilles that forms part of the group and very good meal.
Hotel has on site car parking and is only a short walk to the city walls, also a good restaurant if you turn right at the lights just before the walls, small cosy place but the name escapes me! (helpful I know!)
Hotel also benefits from a cat or two, and everything from the small touches to the helpful staff made this a great two night stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple