“Faultless Stay - Fantastic Management”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I was looking for somewhere to stay that provided a more boutique experience given York is a such a beautiful town. After a lot of research Marmadukes took my eye and it was worth every penny and more! The new management team are friendly, professional and have the place running like a dream. I spoke with them and the previous bad reports were as a result of previous owners who bankrupted the place. Now it is in professional hands and a pleasure to stay there. They advised they might reopen the restaurant for dinners (breakfasts are great) which would make it even better as no need to leave on chilly nights!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 August 2009

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Spotlessly clean, friendly excellent staff, gorgeous breakfast. Only negative was that we didn't have a shower in our room, however we did have a freestanding bath which made up for it!

Will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2009

A really lovely Victorian hotel that is full of character with a relaxed atmosphere and helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We stayed the other night having booked a week or so ago. After the booking we found the website slating the restaurant, the owner and every business in the company, so we were a little worried about what we had let ourselves in for. Fortunately our fears were unfounded and we had no problems whatsoever. The front of house staff were all very friendly, polite and helpful, the room was very nice with only a few minor problems and the breakfast in the morning was excellent. The location is excellent, very close to the centre of town, good parking and just one turn off the main road so no fear of getting lost.
The place has a spa/jacuzzi/hot tub in the rear garden which we did not use, and although it did breakfast I don't believe they do food on an evening, but they are very keen to get you in elsewhere (usually one of the restaurants in the same company, unsurprisingly, but we did not dine at any of these).

The hotel is aesthetically very pleasing, outside and in. The niggles with the room were just that a couple of bulbs in the chandelier had blown and that there were empty picture hooks on the wall, which was odd but of no concern. The bed was very comfy, the TV etc fine and the bathroom very pleasant. I'd have liked to have seen filter coffee in the rooms but the tea etc was good quality, and the staff would bring up loose tea in a pot with no quibbles and no charge.

After the fright of the angry reviews and complaints we did delve a little deeper and the business did supposedly have its back up against the wall so perhaps it was under new management or they were being extra nice to keep everyone happy. Either way I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We recently stayed at the Marmadukes although the hotel is very well presented with many orginal features and the staff where without doubt very accommodating. After checking in we decided to spend the evening in York on our return and later that evening we decided to get a good night sleep, over many years of travelling around the world to good hotel's and not so good hotels I have slept on all kinds of beds but without doubt the worse bed that I have ever slept or attempted to sleep in was at the Marmadukes. Never mind I thought for the priced we paid we will have a good breakfast to set us up for our journey home (not) contemporary and minuscule is how I would describe breakfast coffee or tea cereal etc all of which you had to help yourself if you wanted toast or any thing warm or cooked this was an extra charge Never Again

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2009

perfect perfect perfect. We had a lovely time. The rooms are amazing, the staff are friendly. This hotel made our trip to York very special, I don't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2009

My Mum and I had been saying for ages that we should go to York for a weekend break, so after much research and review reading, I booked a short stay at Marmadukes as a suprise birthday present for her. I was really impressed by the reviews and the photos and was expecting real luxury for the price I'd paid. The staff were originally very accommodating over the phone, allowing me to have a one night stay rather than the obligatory two nights which I was pleased about. So far so good. The first signs of doubt began creeping in however when I rang a few days before our arrival, requesting a dinner reservation at Harvilles. Having read Marmaduke's website, I was reliably informed that Harvilles was a small restaurant, located within the hotel itself- a convenient sister restaurant to the larger Harvilles situated in Fossgate. I was met by a confused lady on the other end of the line telling me that the restaurant did not exist and laughed when I said that it was advertised on the website. She told me that idea 'hadn't 'worked out' and I should 'ignore the website'. I was puzzled but opted for a reservation at Harvilles in Fossgate instead... the same lady took my booking then informed me that I would have to pay by cash as they were not currently accepting payment by cards. I was tempted at this point to cancel my booking altogether but kept the glowing reviews in mind and decided to press ahead regardless. Our first impressions of the hotel were good - close proximity to York, good parking facilities and friendly reception staff. The hotel itself was cozy and well maintained however on booking in we were again met with a strange request for cash or cheque payment only - no cards accepted. Five years ago this would have been the norm but in this day and age, being requested to hike off to the nearest cash machine to withdraw large sums of cash in a strange unknown city is not really my idea of a holiday... So anyway, we got to our room which was very well presented - large four poster bed, leather furniture, big bay window - no shower.... no shower???? This really did puzzle me as the last time I used a mixer tap and hose was when I was about six years old at my Grandma's house... I certainly did not feel my money was being well spent as I sat in a cold bathtub, holding the shower head above me with one hand and attempting to stop the water spilling everywhere with the other (no shower curtain provided). This would have been fine if i'd requested a room with a bath tub only, but I hadn't - opting instead for a power shower room. Being British and not wanting to spoil Mum's weekend, I decided not to complain. I didn't even complain in the morning after neither of us slept a wink in the uncomfortablly thin mattressed bed which seemed to slump in at the middle. I have since attempted to contact the hotel to speak with them direct but can not seem to raise anyone - one number tells me it's no longer being used and to 'try another number' (which is what exactly??????) and the other cheerfully repeats 'Welcome to DeBretton - our booking lines are now closed.' - i'm not really suprised!!!! In short, it is clear this hotel and its partner franchises are experiencing some sort of difficulty and this is filtering down to their customers who have paid a lot of money to experience something outstanding. If any of them are going to survive they need to pull their horns in a bit and be more honest and realistic with the way they market their hotel and the prices they charge to stay there....

1  Thank katee82