“Excellent again!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holme Lea Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Holme Lea Manor
Ranked #122 of 205 York B&B and Inns
Derby
“Excellent again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Once again a fab weekend! All the staff are welcoming and friendly, nothing is too much trouble. I'm sure we'll return soon.

Room Tip: Each room is unique so check out the photos on the website to find the one that suits your taste.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed here for two nights in March. Car park is a bonus but space is limited and on a first come, first served basis. The room was quaint with a four poster bed and a bath tub in the bedroom area. Coffee is available in the room. Breakfast was adequate and staff were very attentive. This is essentially an upmarket guesthouse that feels more like a hotel. Be aware though that there are no public lounges and there is no bar although the owners will obtain alcohol for you. The tiny ironing board was a bit strange as you had to get on your knees and iron on the floor! I also wasn't very impressed when I returned to my room from being out all day and found my door unlocked with a bunch of room keys in the door lock. Not very secure! All in all though this is a pleasant place to stay. It's easy walking distance to the city centre and is comfortable, albeit I found the price a bit expensive for what I got.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a four poster bed!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Martex
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend for my mams 60th Birthday. There were 12 of us in total and we all had brilliant rooms. Lesley had been great every time I rang to arrange things and then welcomed us on our arrival. Becky then looked after us the rest of the weekend. The breakfast was great and staff were very accomodating to any variations we asked for. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the city centre. We would all definately come back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Great location. Very accommodating as we have a dog. Very clean. Great breakfast. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed March 2012
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

The Hotel was excellent, we stayed in Room 10 and would strongly recommend this room, its very large with two settees, a free standing bath and separate shower room with toilet.

The breakfast was really good and the staff were very attentive and friendly.

Would stay in this Hotel if we visited York or the surrounding area

Room Tip: Room 10 is great on the ground floor next to the dining room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The hotel itself was very beautiful - large rooms and a quiet street. The breakfast was also nice and the location was only a 10 minute walk to the Minster.

On the downside, our room (room 2) was below another room currently being renovated. When we checked in at 4pm we could hear a lot of banging and sawing. Although this did not continue for too long, it started again about 9am the next morning. However, we could now hear very lout and prolonged drilling noises from above and the same banging/sawing sounds.

I have never experienced this level of noise in any type of hotel I have stayed in. Further to this, I explained the problem when we checked out - I was told that it was out of the staff's remit and the owner had decided to renovate the room. I was offered an apology but it was in the context of them saying it wasn't really their fault.

I then asked to speak to the manager/owner. The manager wasn't available and the owner was at therir other hotel (the Churchill). He was "too busy" to come round and talk to me (two minute walk) but offered a massive £15 discount. I was quite offended by this as £15 was not a large amount and I felt I was merely being fobbed off with a minor amount.

One final point - I had also inquired about the cost of champagne before arriving - I was emailed the details and I did not respond. When I arrived with my girlfriend there was a bottle awaiting us in the room. I of course could not ask for it to be removed at that point for sheer embarrassment. This meant that I had to spend an extra £25 on champagne, to then have £15 taken off the bill.

Although this is a beautiful hotel and I can see many others have enjoyed it - I would not stay again purely based on the customer service. I am still awaiting a phone call from the owner, several days after it was promised.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 2 - there are noisy renovations taking place in the room above.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank James593
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here for a weekend and was pleased woth our choice. Rooms were spacious and very clean, close walk to the Minister and enjoyed the breakfast on both days. Would stay again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple