“Nice little hotel”
Review of Holme Lea Manor

Holme Lea Manor
Ranked #122 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here on a whistle stop tour and found it very charming and convenient with free parking and walking distance from the centre. Free wifi available also.

Our room was right at the top and felt nice and spacious. Found the bed very comfortable and the sheets luxurious. A nice little touch was the cafetiere in the room so we could make “proper coffee”. Didn’t notice a lift so might be difficult for people who are not so mobile.

Staff were friendly and welcoming. There is no evening entertainment or bar for for a little night-cap but if you like a charming base for your visit to York then this could be it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holme Lea Manor

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed in York for 2 nights and needed somewhere for 1 adult and 2 teenagers. The feedback on booking.com gave this little gem better ratings than many of the well known hotels AND there was free parking.
We arrived early to see the car park was full. Within minutes, the owner had let us park on her drive and the car stayed there for 2 days til we left. We even managed to stay parked after we had checked out so we could explore Yorks chocolate story.
The room was on the top floor with an interconnecting door between the double and the twin Roos - bliss as it gave a break from teenagers & I got the TV!! The bathroom was big, clean with a super shower and separate bath.
The breakfast was yummy, although seating a bit tight the second morning as it seemed most residents ate at the same time.
We were not disturbed by others as some reviews have put. The only issue we had was that the pillows were not overly comfy but that's a minor detail.
For the money we paid for 3 people for 2 nights, we got a quiet street, lovely guest house & room, breakfast included and free parking.
I would stay here again. Not sure how I would have managed being on top floor with 2 toddlers though. The only thing I'd change is bringing my own pillows.
York is fabulous and all of a 10 minute stroll away from the guest house.
Can't wait to go back and may even take the husband next time :-)

Room Tip: If you're unsure call the hotel directly as the owner is so helpful.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Spent two nights luxury bedroom never slept! Bed awful both mornings we had terrible
Back ache worse mattress ever.
2nd morning at breakfast only 1 other couple in dining room and waitress still managed
To get our order wrong
Would not recommend this hotel. £210 for two nights should have stayed at Marriott

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Moira6420
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel is on a lovely residential street with off street parking. First impressions were that the staff were very helpful and the building had lots of lovely original features. It was easy to find and a short stroll into the city which is what we did as soon as we arrived.
When we got back to our room (which wasn't ready earlier as we had arrived at lunchtime) the window was opened so we didn't notice the slight damp / sweaty trainer smell. The room was nicely decorated with a four poster bed, double shower and claw foot bathtub in the bedroom (which my partner found very odd but I liked). On closer inspection though, the tub was quite badly marked, the porcelin in the sink was damaged and the paste on the wallpaper in the bedroom had bled through the paint all the way round the room.
The room should have been gorgeous but the attention to detail just wasn't there. Perhaps my expectations were too high!
When we had showers the next morning (with the fan running) we realised the ventilation wasn't great, hence the black mould around the windows.
The room had good, heavy curtains so we had a good night's sleep apart from the noise from the room above but I guess this should be expected in an old house. The towels were changed each day (but my face cloth got swept up with their towels never to be seen again).
Breakfast was fine with a decent range of choices and the staff were very pleasant.

Room Tip: Room 4 has a four poster bed but smells a little damp.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sooz322
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Not a bad little hotel / B and B with nicely appointed rooms. Breakfast was plentiful but not as tasty as it could be. Quite expensive but the level of decor is quite high. Easy walking distance out of walled city centre down a quiet side street.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geraldine O
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My sister, niece and myself stayed there for one night last weekend and were not disappointed. Room was nice and big enough for the three of us, beds were comfortable, bathroom was perfect, nice shower. Breakfast was very good indeed but the best part of this hotel is its proximity to York Minster, only 10 minutes walk. Overall it was a good choice. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My hubby and I stayed in room 7 for two nights. On the surface the room looked lovely and modern with a hint of vintage with some of the furniture. Upon closer inspection, the nice feature wall paper is coming off the walls, there were dirty shoe marks on the walls and the bedroom window was grimy. The radiator knob was broken off so the room became too warm, hot tap in the bathroom was very loose and unfortunately the shower would not work (apparently there is a trick to turning it on!) Why not just install a shower that comes on when you turn it is beyond me, apparently this is a common issue for guests. On the positive, staff were pleasant, breakfast was good and the city centre was a short walk away.

In conclusion I would most likely not stay here again, we stayed at a prem inn in Manchester not to long ago for half the price and found no issue with the room at all. I do not believe that Holme lea met my expectations from the impression the web site gives. I also got the impression that Holme lea manor is an afterthought to its much bigger fancier sister hotel around the corner. As per my review title, there is a lack of attention to detail and what I find frustrating is that these little issues could be fixed very easily.

• Stayed: March 2014