“The worst of all...”

Barclay Lodge Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Barclay Lodge Hotel
Ranked #174 of 193 York B&B and Inns
London
“The worst of all...”
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We stayed at Barclay Lodge 1 night with my partner as the location was great. We were soon horrified by the state of this B&B...
We booked the hotel through the Tourists Information, and they took a deposit for the room. However, the first thing the lady that welcomed us said ws she took the full payment for the room, whithout advising us of it. This is a disgrace and clearly shows a lack of trust in her clients.
Things got worse when we were taking to our "room". The building looked more like a building site than a welcoming house, and we were given a small room, together with a "friendly" comment that i actually found offensive: "it's a small room, but you are both small...." How dare she ??!!
Anyway, kind that we are, we remained silent...
The room was small, indeed. But this doesn't justify being given towels with lipstic on them, and a quilt i wouldn't even give to my dog !
To make things worse, breakfast was awful. The plainest cereals you can ever find, the stickiest spoons i ever touched. Very bad.

When handing back the keys, we said we were terribly disappointed by our stay, and that with the location of the B&B, she could make it one of the hottest spot in York. But a narrow minded person will always remain as such, and we were told "I've been in business for 12 years, and never had a complaint. You are exceptionnal, and very demanding".... not even worth spending time explaining anything to her..

Pleaaaaaaase, avoid this B&B !! not worth the £30ppn spend there. Not even worth a fiver...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BandA-London

Hull
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Having read a bit of a mixed bag of reviews, we were unsure of what to expect. Upon our arrival, we were warmly greeted by one of the owners, who came out to show us our parking space to the rear of the guest house.
The room was quite basic, but very bright, clean and warm, as was the accompanying bathroom. Barclay Lodge is ideally located for a stay in York, being minutes away from all of the main shops and areas of interest.
Breakfast was very good indeed - fresh fruit, cereal and a full English. So good, in fact, I finished my girlfriend's, as she was full up!
Barclay Lodge is great value for money and ideal for a break in York. I'm sure that we'll return before long.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scone1964
Exmoor
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I stayed here for one night towards the end of May on a business trip (concerning tourism funnily enough). I booked via the website and thought the price, location and quality was too good to be true - sadly it was!
If I'm honest the place sufficed for a nights sleep - but I certianly wouldn;t want to holdiay here.
On showing me to my room I was infomred someone had been smoking in the room (illegally) but that they'd opened the windows - sadly when I got in the window wasw firmly closed and the smell of smoke lingered.
A drity bathroom and bed linen greeted me, after the curtain rail for the net curtain fell on my head! The TV remote didn't work and some of the buttons were missing on the set so it was stuck on one chanel. The room was not massive for a double, but fine for one person. However the lack of furniture - not even a wardrobe (just a very wonky clothes rail on wheels) - made it less desirable.
The breakfast redeemed things somewhat, and the central location helped improve my mood - how it has recieved and retained 3 stars (even as 'guest accomadation' as opposed to a hotel) is still puzzleing me.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Leigh, Lancashire
Reviewed 20 May 2009

The hotel is very good value for money, the bed linen and towels were lovely crisp and clean. The rooms and bathroom were clean, soap etc was also provided, breakfast consists of fresh fruit, fruit juice, selection of cereals, full English or variation of that, plenty of tea/coffee and toast etc.
Pleasant person serving it, (that's what i like) the hotel is very close to the city just 5 mins from the minster and 15 from the train museum.
Nothing to fault, except if you're picky! a coat of emulsion to the walls may be!!!, But having said that i would notice it wouldn't i, being a Painter and Decorator by Trade. (by the time you go i would think they will have seen to this one).
Give it a try, you'll go again, i know i will. David Shallcross Leigh, Lancshire.

• Stayed May 2009
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 28 November 2008

Having booked a 1 night stay at the Barclay Lodge for the Christmas Markets we received a wonderful welcome from Karen one of the owners.
On getting to the room it all went downhill from there, the room was absolutely freezing till the heating went on at 3pm, why there's glass in the windows I have no idea as it blew a gale anyways, insulation hanging off & window seals broken.
The towels left for us to use were grey instead of white, the room was unclean & the shower was growing mould, there appread to be old blood on the bathroom door handle, the spare toilet roll had been wet & dried out at & at some stage appread to be from a previous gentleman guest having missed the toilet, hair left in the bin, mirror was badly marked & sticky stains on the glass shelf in the bathroom, to be honest the bathroom was filthy.
The bed had been moved away from the radiator some 12 inched which had lifted the small rug causing a trip hazard, apart from the rug the room was devoid of any carpeting & was stained floorboards, the fireplace had some substance stains that had run down the front & dried out so had one of the walls.
The tea & coffee making facilities are sparse & tea from a company unheard of and taste exactly like it "Unheard of" only 2 teabags & 2 coffee were supplied.
The built in wardrobe was poorly painted inside & again was filthy.
After a poor nights sleep we really were ready for the breakfast & to get out as quickly as we could, the breakfast was minimalistic with raw mushrooms & the HP Sauce bottle had been filled with something else that was disgusting & resembled HP only by its colour, even the cap hadn't been cleaned & appeared to be growing, the dining room was freezing although the small fire had been lit it did nothing to heat such a big room & was quickly switched off on ours & the other guests departure from the dining room.
The owners don't live on site & it shows, there's no bar or bistro either despite the excellent looking photos, don't be fooled; these photos must have been taken back when the guest house opened and is far far from the truth now.
I certainly will complain to enjoy England as if this is what I should expect from a 3 star establishment then ill never use a rated hotel/guesthouse by them again.
If I find anywhere to post the photo's ill add them, this is a Hotel/Guesthouse you really do want to stay clear of.

• Liked — Nothing to Like Accomodation is appaling
  • Disliked — See the review theres plenty to dislike.
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jazzybon
Wakefield
Reviewed 23 November 2008

I booked 3 rooms for My wife & I and both sets of inlaws. From the website, the hotel looks warm, inviting, with a bistro- wine bar, Sounds ideal, well it is none of the above. When we arrived we found that we were in 2 separate buildings, both of which could do with a good clean. The owners were nowhere to be seen, they had left the keys with the first member of the party to arrive. The rooms were small, poorly furnished, not particularly clean and worst of all for a cold night in November devoid of heating. I rang the number supplied but with no repy. There is no evidence of either a bistro or wine bar, (or any sign of life after 6pm ). When i nraised these issues the following morning the lady present (in charge?) couldn't seem to care less and offered a cursory #20.00 reduction on one room. This Hotel puports to have a BTB 3 * rating, i have written to them to complain raising the points mentioned above.

My recommendation would be if you can find a different hotel in york go there, if not, dont go at all.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Very misleading website
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rutland
Reviewed 4 November 2008

My wife & I stayed at the Barclay Lodge on the 24th,25th & 26th of October.
We both found this to be a friendly & charming little place that we would definitely return to.It is extremely conveniently placed for all of York's attractions,we were at the Minster in under 2 minutes,not to mention the 10 pubs that were within a 5 minute walk of the hotel!!!!
Both of the owners were extremely friendly & it felt ,to me anyway, that they were willing to go out of their way to give us any help we needed.
The breakfast was delicious! I'm known among my friends & family for my love of good food(!) & this was one of the best breakfasts I have had.Very good quality food (no tinned rubbish!) unlimited toast & really nice coffee!
Having read a previous review I find it hard to believe that the reviewer was cold,our room was toasty warm as was the rest of the hotel.Maybe there was a problem with the heating for the other guest.
Our room was nice,with a large separate bathroom & small "hallway".
There isn't really anything negative to say about the Barclay Lodge, more the fact that it does appear,in places, to be a bit of a "work in progress".There are one or two areas that are obviously in the process of being brought up to date but overall this is a lovely period property that is being sympathetically given a contemporary update whilst retaining a lot of it's original character.By the time it's completely finished we probably wouldn't be able to afford to stay there!!
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a friendly atmosphere,central location & a damn good breakfast!!

• Liked — friendliness,location
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple