“Perfect Hosts.”

Ranked #69 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Malaga, Spain
“Perfect Hosts.”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We recently stayed at the Monkgate Guest House whilst visiting York for the first time. It is exactly what we expected from a B&B, friendly, entertaining hosts, well prepared breakfast and a perfect location. Parking was also arranged at no extra charge. All in all I can just recommend this establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Simon C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Our family stayed one night, with two rooms -- the family room and a double upstairs. The decor is rather dated but charming in a cosy way. My daughter loved all the teddy bears in the family room, the lion themed bed covers, and we appreciated being able to close the door on the kids after they went to sleep. The upstairs double was similar in dated decor but without (so many) teddy bears. Beds were comfortable, the room was clean and the hosts were very welcoming

I found it a little odd to be given a front door key (as well as the side door key for access to the rooms), so as not to walk through the house for breakfast -- I wonder if the front door could not be left on the latch during breakfast hours, if going outside and then in again is the most convenient way to reach the breakfast room? I thought the cereal or juice option was a bit odd (nobody in our group wanted both, but the "either or" choice left an unecessary "cheap" impression). Breakfast was delicious, but could definitely be improved with self-serve cereals, fruit, and preserves that don't come in plastic packets.

Nit-picking aside, overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. The location is great and the friendliness of the hosts is the biggest take-away factor.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LyndaWI
Bristol
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

given the positive reviews on here I was really quite surprised by this B&B. When I arrived felt like I was really putting them out checking in. I was even more surprised to find that the room did not have ensuite facilities but that they were down the corridor. On the first mroning the latch went and locked me out of the toilet/shower so I had to use one in an empty room. They cooked my breakfast anyway while I was getting ready as that was more convenient for them.

The breakfasst was a real 'yorkshire' offering - if the cliche about yorkshire people being careful with money. You could have fruit juice or cereal but not both? By this time I was wishing York had more Premier Inns.

On the plus side it is well located for the centre of York, which is a beautiful city.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PaulSmithbristol
Jane307, Owner at Monkgate Guest House, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Mr Smith, I am so sorry you were disappointed with your stay at Monkgate Guest House. We were not at the property that weekend but know our relief staff would have done all they could to make your stay a pleasant one. I will look into you comments and contact you direct. I would just like to say however for anyone else looking to book a room with us that a private bathroom is not en-suite but it is for your use only. This does seem to cause some confusion. We have 2 of these rooms, the rest are en-suite but we do mention it on our website.
Kind regards, Jane
Canberra
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Had the family room, which was great with two separate bed rooms - a double and a twin. Also included ensuite. Room had charm but was practical and close to city walls. My daughter loved the teddy bears and the decor in the twin room, she also watched two DVDs from the selection provided. The room also contained a small walk in robe which was great to keep suitcases out of way but... if you had a baby you could also put travel cot in there. Breakfast was great and plentiful! There was tea and coffee facilities but only down side (and its a small one) there is no fridge. I would return and would recommend.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank minkyjane
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in May last year. I loved the character of the place, despite the teddy bears! The owners were so welcoming and friendly. Breakfast was delicious. I had the full English breakfast every day just because I couldn't get enough of it.

My room was a single en-suite. Since it was just me, it was a good size room with a nice wardrobe and the bathroom was clean and tidy.

The parking situation is odd, I have to admit. However, once we got there, we walked everywhere so we didn't have to worry about getting the car out until we left. The owners did all the parking for us.

It's not your typical cookie-cutter hotel so if that's what you want, you're better off staying with Holiday Inn or Best Western. If you want something that's more reminiscent of home with warm, inviting rooms and friendly staff, I highly recommend the Monkgate Guest House!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Betsy V
Sunderland
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Good location and very family orientated. We have just come back from a 2 night stay with our 3 year old. The family room was a great size for us, lovely big bathroom with Lots of hotwater and lovely smellies. Plenty of fluffy towels too. The family room we booked had a good sized bath (room 5) is on the back of the building so can feel chilly, but there was an electric fire, extra blankets and even hot water bottles...but even in May, coming back to a warm cosy bedroom was bliss. Breakfasts were cooked freshly to order and were delicious and filling.
The family room had teddy bears to help our little one feel at home, and she certainly enjoyed cuddling into her new friends in her cosy and comfy bed. Overall the hotel and bedroom was clean and comfortable, no traffic noise to impede a good nights sleep, but the springs in the double bed were a little noisey when hubby turned in bed. Jane and William were both very friendly and their hospitality was warm and friendly. Definitely recommended for any families ....we had a fabulous stay and would definitely return on our next visit to beautiful York.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sunderlandcat
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed with my boyfirend for a weekend break and we were warmly welcomed on arrival and informed of the local attractions in a really helpful manor. The guesthouse is perfectly located around a 5-10 minute walk from all the places you want to get to in York's centre. There is no double glazing, however, so ear plugs are a must for light sleepers! The cooked breakfast was delicious with good quality sausages and bacon being used. My only dissapointment was that the room was very small for the price we paid and the shower was external to the room itself. The owner's were both very pleasant though and made our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple