“Good location nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Fourposter Lodge

Fourposter Lodge
Ranked #93 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Retford, United Kingdom
“Good location nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Very well located for our purposes, nice old house not too heavily restored or tacky. The four poster thing is a bit of a gimmick but our room was decently furnished. Decent welcome and we squeezed our car in at the back. No breakfast until 8.15 if that matters to you.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reykjavík
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I am regular visitor to the Four Poster on trips to work at the University.

The house is a rather grand building with high ceilings and wonderful turn of the previous century features.

The rooms have a lovely character and are spacious. Beds are comfy, there is a tv in each room and free wifi.

The bathrooms are snug but do the job very well and I much prefer the extra space in the rooms.

Breakfast is delicious (poached eggs are done brilliantly) and served with a smile.

I would heartily recommend the Four Poster for anyone looking for something different and memorable with warm and friendly service.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank AlexA101
Burnley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I booked room 2 for a 1 night stay for my wife and myself. I thought fourposter would be ideal romantic room.How disappointed were we.The place was filthy,the curtains on the bed were dirty white,there was dust on top of the bed, and you could write your name on the top of the wqardrobe. The washbasin and shower were also in the same room, and the toilet was like a cupboard. The décor appeared to be painted lining paper and the sofa in the lounge has seen better days. What was advertised as a hearty breakfast was ok if you only eat small meals, and certainly didn,t hit the spot.Everything about this place is dated,our tv must have ben 10 yrs old at least.Glad I only booked the one night, as I certainly wouldn,t stay here again.

Room Tip: Don,t bother and look elsewhere.
11 Thank Arthur W
fourposter1, Manager at Fourposter Lodge, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
I am sorry your expectations were not met at the Fourposter Lodge. It has unset me a great deal as I do strive to make everyones stay as enjoyable as possible as stated in many other reviews.
Handforth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is just nice B&B value for money, very warm welcome rooms are clean need a bit up dateing, The parking lets it down not much of it we stayed in room 7 very nosiey because its right next to front door so you heard everybody coming and going. has another person put on its very student oriented in this area. but York its self was amazing people are very friendly

Room Tip: higher floor maybe quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
fourposter1, Owner at Fourposter Lodge, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your comments.
It was very nice to meet you and you will be pleased to know work starts next month on the Fourposter update. Unfortunately there is not much I can do about the parking as space is limited.
I'm Glad you enjoyed York we are very proud of our city.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We booked room 8 (family room) for myself and my wife and two young sons to celebrate my 40th birthday, we did not want anything too 'flash', just somewhere to sleep and serve us breakfast! The photos do not do the rooms justice as they are not penthouse size but sufficient for a family without being too pokey! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the helpful and friendliness of the staff towards myself but particularly to my children was excellent - they were not 'brushed off' but spoken to very well. We would certainly recommend this B&B to anyone wishing to stay in York but not wanting the noise from the city centre (15 minute walk away).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We booked a night at Fourposter Lodge for a night, we were greeted by a very friendly owner Shirley, the room was excellent a very comfy four poster bed which is just what we needed after a very long day getting my niece into York hospital for an overnight stay, very clean, on going down to breakfast we were greeted by Shirley and her friendly and helpful staff, breakfast was very good a choice of fruit juice, then a choice of cereal, then a full English breakfast, there were alternatives if you wanted, toast and jams and marmalade, after a very tasty and very filling breakfast we vacated are room handed our keys in and Shirley was very willing to talk, nothing was to much trouble, we will definitely stay there again.

Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed here for four nights while on business in York. I rarely stay in Bed and Breakfasts so have very little to compare this with. My room was nice and the bed very comfortable. There were a couple of choices for breakfast. I opted for the full English breakfast which was very tasty and filling. The young lady who served us breakfast was very pleasant and cheerful, which was nice. The lodge is on a quiet street about a 15 minute walk from the city center. If you prefer not to walk there is a very convenient city bus that stops near the lodge. Overall a good experience and good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business