All reviewshomemade breadmuseum gardensamerican pancakesbottle of proseccobreakfast was amazinglocally sourced producelittle touchesbathrobes and slippersquiet streetlovely toiletriessmall fridgecity centrebottled waterextra touchesgreat hostsexcellent staylovely room
Reviewed 26 September 2016

Stayed here for 3 nights 16-18 Sept. This is my 2nd stay here, but the first time under the current landlord. This B&B is a relatively easy walk from York Station; there are some steps to get up/down the footpath over the River, and a few steps to climb just before the B&B, but everything else is mostly flat ground on sidewalks (not streets). Probably should allow 15 minutes (with baggage). My room was very quiet, as is this entire neighborhood. The Minister is about a 10 minute easy walk through Museum Gardens (or along the river, if 8PM or later). The landlord was very friendly and helpful. Amazing breakfast - almost anything you would like to eat. Room was very comfortable, including the large bed. Small bath, but fine for me. Heavy drapes to keep out the morning sun. Nice flat-screen LCD on the wall. No credit card surcharge for using my VISA! My only complaint was the dim lighting on the nightstand lamps.

Overall, I have stayed in quite a few B&Bs throughout England, and this one is near the top of my list. Even though the price I paid was probably at the top end of my price range, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Entire street is very quiet, so I don't think it makes much difference which room you chose.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank gswVancouver_WA
Reviewed 26 September 2016

Good location for central York. Local map provided. Comfy calm room. Fabulous breakfast. New Zealand chef. Simon coordinates everything well, parking etc. Warm welcome and very accommodating when a few guests wanted to stay in the area for more sightseeing on their last day. Staff very friendly and helpful.
No lounge area. Poor tv reception in room 9. Wifi has good connectivity.

Room Tip: Number 9 has poor tv reception. Very comfy and great to have fresh milk in fridge, lovely local bathroom smellies. The road is quiet and I slept well.
Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Dawn I
Reviewed 25 September 2016

We had a very enjoyable stay , owners were so welcoming , food was great , the whole accommodation has been well thought out. Highly recommend as a perfect place to stay when visiting York. Central location makes it accessible to walk from the station and to all the attractions.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

I stayed here overnight on a business trip. A lovely, well-positioned and quiet guesthouse with warm and welcoming staff. The rooms are well equipped and I loved the attention to detail including the homemade biscuits! I was served breakfast out of hours as I had an early train and was even given a doggy bag to take with me for the journey! Convenient for the city and station, I'd love to come back for a holiday!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2016

Tiny room, bathroom so small as
to be useless. No furniture not even a single chair, only place to sit on bed. No luggage rack, havd to eave bags on floor but then even less roo to get around bed. No publc room except tiny dinibg room. Breakfast ok, No unique abou location, better looking inns about.

Room Tip: make sure on lower floor, look into at least photos of rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank Ernie T
Simon B, Owner at No. 21 York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2016

Good afternoon Ernie
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us at No.21. We are a Victorian Terraced Building built circa 1840 and are limited in size by the age & make up of the building which - we feel - is full of charm & character. The Room you had booked through Trip Advisor is our Standard Single Room and all of the descriptors and photos - 16 of this room - show that it is a small Single Room, we have furnished the rooms with metal framed beds so that your bags can be stored under the bed once unpacked to maximise the floor space for you.
Our extensive breakfast offerings - be it fresh baked Continental Breakfast, Home-made Pancakes, or our Traditional Yorkshire Breakfast - are a celebration of fresh Yorkshire produce and cooked to order for you. Unfortunately we were not able to source American Bacon for you.
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I wish you would have let us know during your stay and that you would have settled your bill on departure.
Best of luck with your continued research into your family history & that you found Hull to be more fruitful in this regard.
Kind regards