“Tasty food at reasonable prices”
Review of Bill's York

Bill's York
Ranked #158 of 1,000 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In the centre of the city, Bill's York restaurant is full of character - a light and airy space during the day that transforms into a twinkling and intimate place to be for the evening, from cosy booths and candelabras to larger sharing tables.
Reviewed 28 October 2015

The food was good and the service was quick. Lovely atmosphere and if in the area again, we would revisit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed 28 October 2015 via mobile

My partner and I went on the first morning we were in York. We were just looking for a nice light breakfast to set us up for a day of being tourists. We happened across Bill's. We didn't know what to expect but went in anyway. After being greeted warmly at the door and shown to our table, we opted for scrambled eggs on toast and my girlfriend went for the bread basket (a selection of breads and pastries with some jams and butter). The food was perfectly done and we both enjoyed it so much we went back the next day for breakfast again and at the time of writing this are currently on our way back to pick up some jams and drinks they have for a Christmas hamper!

The decor is well finished, has a sort of tired/stressed look which is I liked. I did not want anywhere too formal and this place was perfect.

When we passed at night it was very busy which I can only take as a good sign.

Would recommend anyone to drop in and have something to eat. The staff are cheerful and friendly while the food is delicious.

Reviewed 27 October 2015 via mobile

Great food and great service. We were attended to regularly and we were never left waiting for service.

Reviewed 27 October 2015

Stopped here for a quick lunch with friends before work, they seemed quite busy but we were quickly seated and promptly got our drinks whilst we waited for the last member of our party. We waited a good 45 minutes for our food after ordering, during which the manager came over and apologised for the wait (without being prompted, which was something), said there was a technical error in the kitchen. The food then quickly came out after this, however we were a little disappointed with all 3 of our meals for differing reasons, but the waitress caught wind of our disappointment and seemed genuinely concerned and followed up our comments with the manager who came to speak to us personally. Both of the staff we dealt with were really lovely, and this made up for our experience overall, well handled by all.

Would not put me off coming back, as we had all been here before (hence why we decided to return) I would like to think it was a one-off. The staff are genuinely very nice and good at their job even under pressure. Is definitely a good place for families or larger groups, there's a good atmosphere in the place. Coffee is gorgeous!

Reviewed 26 October 2015

Called in here as I was told the reviews were very good and one of our group had booked it in advance. If you like burgers and pre made reheated food you might get something out of here, but if you prefer good quality freshly prepared food, then give it a wide berth. The finishing of the room is a "stressed" or unfinished effect, and that should make redevelopment easier when it closes once the novelty has worn off. As for the drinks, £4.25 for a bottle of Stella is taking the proverbial. For me little more than an upmarket Mcdonalds and it will be of no surprise that I will not be returning.