“An excellent lunch”

Middlethorpe Hall Restaurant
Ranked #128 of 869 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$30 - US$148
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The National Trust's Middlethorpe Hall, is a William III country house close to the city of York set in 20 acres of its own gardens and parkland. Built in 1699, it was once the home of the famous diarist. Lady Mary Wortley Montagu.After a period of neglect, the Hall was sympathetically restored with decorations, antiques and pictures carefully chosen as consistent with the period of the house.The panelled dining rooms overlooking the gardens and the imaginative food designed by Head Chef Nicholas Evans, much prasied in all the guide books, follows the hotel's theme of traditional excellence.Afternoon Tea is served daily in the C18th Drawing Room and 'Al-Fresco' dining is available to be taken on the south facing terrace.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“An excellent lunch”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

A memorable meal was had by my wife and myself today at the Middlethorpe Hall Hotel restaurant.
The choice of menu was very good and would suit most tastes. My starter of pan fried hake melted in my mouth, the beef was tasty and tender and the chocolate delice dessert was a chocolate lovers delight. Add to this an attentive but unobtrusive waiter service in a friendly relaxed atmosphere in pleasant surroundings I can highly recommend a visit to this restaurant.
The whole meal was excellent a and very good value for money. We will certainly go again.

• Visited February 2014

York, United Kingdom
“Scrumptious Food”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I liked everything about both the dinner and wonderful breakfast. I have never had a meal at this hotel which has disappointed me in any way. And i would call myself rather choosy about food and where i eat it.

Visited February 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Top quality dining”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We took my father out for a meal and wanted it to be a memorable and high quality dining experience.
The surroundings are as sumptuous as any you could hope for. It is just like dining in a stately home. The service was outstanding, my father needed to use the lift and a member of staff helped us in, then went down stairs to help my father out as he is somewhat infirm.
The food is absolutely top drawer and we are surprised that the restaurant does not have a Michelin star.
It is not a cheap place to dine but the quality of food, service and surroundings made it worth every penny.

• Visited February 2014
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea - very disappointing”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We had very high expectations for the afternoon tea and had booked for a special occasion and we were so disappointed . The food was brought out fairly quickly but that's where the service ended . No staff were around to talk to which proved a problem when no tea arrived . We had to wait 20 minutes for our tea to come and only when we went to ask for it . The sandwiches were by then very dry and tasteless and the scones that were slightly warm were now stone cold . We had to ask for cream . We asked for fresh scones and got the same ones back reheated which I am guessing in the microwave as they were then inedible as they were so dry and biscuit like .
To top it off , we found a hair cooked into the macaroon. When we complained , the manager was very apologetic and did give us the afternoon tea at half price. I wouldn't have valued the experience at any price and it is somewhere we won't be returning .

Middlethorpe, General Manager at Middlethorpe Hall Restaurant, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
The team here works hard to ensure that a visit to the National Trust’s Middlethorpe Hall should be remembered for all the right reasons. We are very sorry if it was not the case for these guests, on this particularly busy Sunday afternoon.

Guests may be reassured that we do not use micro-wave ovens.

As the Duty Manager explained at the time, as well as the discount offered and accepted, we would like to invite these guests to return, so that their faith in Middlethorpe Hall can be restored.
South Milford, United Kingdom
“Back to Excellence”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Following my last review, I have revisited the above restaurant. It must have read my comments. We visited for lunch with 2 friends. The staff this time was most attentative. Service excellent and to put the icing on the cake - the food was exceptional. Everything was upto at least the standard one would expect from a 5* hotel and restaurant. Well done - this is back to being our favourite restaurant in Yorkshire.

• Visited January 2014