“Simply the best really sad to hear this place is/has closed”
Review of J Baker's Bistro Moderne - CLOSED

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 September 2013

By far the best dining experience I have ever had. We had the 7 course taster menu and it was simply the nicest food we have ever had the privilege of eating, and all for £39 each. The girl who served us came and had a chat before we started to eat informing us that IF there is anything we want taking out of the food on offer the Chef will accommodate this. We had an excellent service where the girl informed us of how the food was made and what went into it. Totally relaxed atmosphere. It saddens me that J Baker has/is closing down (so I read) would of loved to have gone back and have recommended the place to everyone I know when the topic of eating out came up.

2  Thank ypudding

Reviewed 22 August 2013

This has, for many years, been my favourite restaurant in York. I have had some wonderful times and incredible food. I especially loved Friday lunchtimes, seeing the same lady enjoying the tasting lunch every week at her favourite table. So I had to fit in one last review to say how sorry I am that J Bakers is no more. From the best soups I have ever had the pleasure to try, breadsticks and mini-jacket potatoes with and array of mayonnaises and cod roe dips. And that's before we even get to the main courses...

I truly hope that Jeff Baker returns to York as food in the city won't be the same without him. I read that he may go down to London (which for me would be a shame and a great loss) but would certainly warrant a visit.

To Jeff and his team over the years - thanks for the food and the memories.

2  Thank Coffee-Clara
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Terribly sad to hear of the closure of this restaurant, which was consistently the best place to eat in the whole of Yorkshire. Incredible quality, variety and innovation at such a reasonable price. It will be sadly missed.

3  Thank Leedsleedsleedsleeds
Reviewed 23 July 2013

we need you back; please find a new venture local to York. from crab trifle to lemon topps who does it better.

2  Thank t38eat