“French toast.... breakfast is done1”
Review of Cafe Concerto

Cafe Concerto
Ranked #70 of 944 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$9 - US$43
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Independent Coffee House & Kitchen serving Brunch, Lunch, Afternoon tea & Bistro-style candle lit dinner. Rustic music themed atmosphere with manuscripts lining the walls & friendly professional team. Fresh, fabulous, simple but delicious food all cooked on the premises. Opposite York Minster - next to the Dean court hotel. Open from 11am weekdays & 10am weekends. DInner served Tuesday to Sat nights.
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We came across Cafe Concerto when my partner took me a different way into York than I had walked in before.The cafe stands out even from the outside we recently went to Biarritz France and the second time we went to Cafe Concerto it was like being back there! It is obviously a haunt for many people as it was very busy.I am not sure if you can book a table but if you can I would be taking the chance to walk in is still a good idea.We have both had French Toast with maple syrup which was delish and also a full English Breakfast it tasted wonderful I can not pick too many faults the only one being I did expect maybe for big a bigger portion.However the decor atmosphere and staff are all delightful! I do wonder what a night time would be like.... I will make sure I always visit and recommend it.There are larger tables for big groups of people and smaller for couples.What I did like is even though you can be close to other people you don't seem to over hear conversations. A truly cute French looking cafe a must when you are in York and a must when you need a pick me up.

Rozz H, Owner at Cafe Concerto, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you so much for your generous review. We are celebrating 20 years in York this November and it is lovely that new customers such as yourself are constantly finding their way to us, alongside our fabulous long-term 'regulars' at Café Concerto.

Many people liken us to the old 'brown' cafes of Amsterdam and other European cafes, which is really a compliment. Whilst we are definitely not 'posh' !! we do try to do the things that matter - i.e polish glasses & cutlery, serve customers professionally and generally be very nice to everyone as we all enjoy our job looking after people. Being able to eat lots of nice food & the french toast & maple syrup is also a bonus to working here! The French toast is a fairly recent addition to the menu, made with bread produced by a local craft baker and it has proved a winner.

We do take bookings in the evening for the dinner menu (served from 6pm every day) It is similar to daytime main course offerings (Salmon fishcakes, cottage pie, lovely salads, local sausages, mash & onion gravy etc), but with additional 'bistro-style' evening dishes like pork fillet with a leek & Dijon cream sauce, local Sirloin steak with herb-roast potatoes and our amazing 'Mojo' chicken breast (Cuban spiced) with fresh mango salsa, orange & lime sauce & sweet potato - all served in generous-sized portions.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes & thanks again

Rozz

Rosalind & Ian Hancox
Café Concerto & The Music House Apartment York

Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Delicious soup and bread on my first trip; outstanding bangers and mash on my second. I can't imagine a better tasting sausage.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Friendly staff amazing home cooked food and atmosphere. We will return in the future. We love going to independently run restaurant as the staff are natural and not following the company script.
We both had the Smooth chicken pâté with red onion marmalade & a selection of bread as a starter.
I had Dauphinoise Chicken with fennel & cream sauce as a main from the specials .
My partner had the Butternut squash lasagne with a blue Brie sauce from the regular menu.
For desert we shared a Duo of desserts
We had Raspberry Cheese Cake
Bread & Butter Pudding made with croissants which was out of this world
They were to die for.
Amazing quality , well presented and generous portions

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were tired and the cafe was on the way back to our hotel. They have a gluten-free menu, which is mainly items on the regular menu that are GF, but most welcome. It's basically pub food/neighborhood restaurant type food, nothing fancy, but decent and tasty. They serve generous portions of vegetables, which we appreciated. We had the cottage pie and some sauteed pork loin pieces in a mustard cream sauce. Rich, filling comfort food for a chilly evening. The service was a bit haphazard, but pleasant all the same.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Had another wonderful meal here. The service was very good. All three courses of food that both my husband and I had we're delicious and extremely moreish! We would recommend the scrummy soup and the main course chicken and bacon dauphinois with roasted vegetables was amazing! The ambiance was generally nice, however the tables a little too tightly packed and we couldn't hear ourselves talking because of rowdy group, too close on next table!
However, overall I would highly recommend cafe concerto due to the high standard, quality and tastiness of the food.