“Nice genuine Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We visit regularly and do not understand the negative reviews. We have always enjoyed good food and pleasant chats with the staff, admittedly some are more chatty than others. We usually eat at lunchtime and the freshly made pizzas and pasta are very good value at £6.95. No complaints.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Me and my girlfriend headed here after spotting it on the lovely shambles. What an error.

The waiter, or more accurately, the hostile middle aged man, greeted us if we'd just insulted him. I thought of walking, sadly I'm too polite and stayed.

I irdered sardines to start and chicken for main. Both were the kind of fare trumped up at your average roadside little chef. During all this, the hostile middle aged man continued to regard us as nothing more than pests.

Avoid, at all costs.

2  Thank pieslak
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We were suprised to get a table at 7:30 on a Friday night. The staff were very attentive and helpful. The food was excellent and it was reasonably priced. My wife had the Trout and said that it was the best meal of our three day trip for her. I had Lasagne as a starter and one of the Pizzas from the specials menu. Great flavours and very filling! I would recommend this place and I will be back.

2  Thank Ricamundo
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Recently went to the Bari in the Shambles (been there over the years when visiting York) - what a change and not for the better. Such small matters as the bread with olive oil was not forthcoming and when requested we were served bread and butter - come on what is this. Main courses were OK but found the service to be perfunctory and totally disinterested. Presented with bill indicating that service charge was not included (never so previously). All in all a disappointment. Not all that many people in so I guess others have got the message

Reviewed 4 May 2011

My parents visited this restaurant when they were dating and as a family we've been going for years. However on our last visit we were hugely disappointed. The food was very poor quality, and the service whilst friendly was very slow. We were told after ordering drinks that the oven was broken so we couldn't have pizzas (we wouldn't have sat down if we knew this was the case) but that it would be fixed soon. Just over half an hour later we saw the chef walk in, and then we were told the oven was fixed. Sadly though, the pizzas were not worth the wait. A huge shame as this used to be a fantastic restaurant.

1  Thank penguin_0