“A big disappointment”
Review of The Bari

The Bari
Ranked #354 of 869 Restaurants in York
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Nottingham
“A big disappointment”
Reviewed 3 February 2009

I loved this restaurant. For over 29 years every time my husband and I visited York we would dine at Bari. My memories are of a lively, bustling, happy and full restaurant. The waiters provided plenty of banter and the food was pretty good too. It was altogether an enjoyable eating experience.

We dined there last Friday and what a disappointment. It was nearly empty. I do realise that people are tightening their belts but other restaurants in York were full to capacity. Italian ones too!

I ordered minestrone soup and it was served lukewarm. My main course was a chicken dish cooked with cream and mushrooms. The chicken was overcooked although just about edible. The accompanying vegetables were cold and I asked them to be reheated. A tomato sauce covered the vegetables. Chicken in cream served with vegetables and tomato sauce! I don't think so.

Bari - find yourself a good chef and a good front "man". Liven up your act and get yourself back on the map. You were once excellent and you have a prime location. If you don't do something soon you won't be there in 12 months time.

I wonder if it is still owned by Italians? I suspect not!

UK
“True Italian Food With Italian Chefs”
Reviewed 6 November 2008

This was the first time I went to Bari Restaurant, I was rather dubious at first as the chairs are bright red and it sort of put me off slightly especially as I was taking my Italian mother there for the first time. I was completely wrong the food was fantastic all fresh as usually you can tell rubbery pasta that is not cooked from fresh! we all had pasta dishes and antipasto to start all fantastic the atmosphere is brilliant also. My mother completely enjoyed herself at a true Italian Restaurant based on the shambles in York.

2 Thank gimpUk
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“its ok but was better with serafino best pizza chef ever rip”
Reviewed 6 January 2008

its ok but was better with serafino best pizza chef ever rip

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook