“Average at best”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This wasn't what was expected. It looks like a classic English pub/restaurant offering traditional good value, but that's not what you get. There are three ways restaurants can lower the value they provide - offer mediocre food, charge more than they should, or deliver in small portions - and this place does all three. From around £9 to around £11 for burger and chips, which look microwaved? I realise this is York, but you can get better than this for half the price at several nearby places, and more of it.

1  Thank Jeff P

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We was out in York to see the dungeons on a wet weekend, was killing some time and looking for somewhere to grab some lunch, was walking around the market and came across this place the menus outside caught our attention the prices looked really resonable for the city centre and the building its self seemed quirky.
We headed in guy behind the bar was friendly and cheerful, told us where to find a table, we was then greated by a waiter again very friendly. we ordered and the drinks arrived promtly the food was around 15mins, I have the fish and chips and Mrs had the Chicken Risotto my fish was very well cooked and the batter was not two greasy peas you could tell was frozen the fish was freshley fried. Mrs enjoyed Her Risotto, said there was plently of flavour both dises was more than enough.
For lunch in a city centre this place was pretty good, 1 Hot drink 1 soft drink 2x mains got a little change from £22 everything was hot the place was really quirky the view into the court yard with the market was pretty interesting the staff friendly only thing of note which is really me been very pickey is the floor where very uneven mrs fell over because of it, but i guess it has come from the age of the building.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We popped in on a Saturday afternoon as it was raining heavy and we fancied a quick snack and a cuppa. We got seated and had our order taken quickly and despite being busy our food arrived promptly. We took advantage of the cream tea offer and thoroughly enjoyed our scones, although slightly on the small side they were tasty! Overall a nice experience.

1  Thank kirsten l
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I actually made an account on trip advisor to warn people how bad this place is. I don't think I would have cared had the prices not been so ludicrously high for what was served.

This lovely looking pub had myself, my girlfriend and two friends really looking forward to some delicious food. We were drawn in by the nice building and figured we would spend a bit extra to have a proper meal.

My girlfriend paid about 11quid for a "risotto" which was essentially a tesco value pasta sauce mixed into some rice and peas. This literally was not a risotto in any sense of the word. My burger was like something off a van and came with thin soggy oven fries that tasted like they had been microwaved. I know what to expect when paying over 10quid for a burger and it certainly was not that. The chef is either completely incompetent or doesn't care about his job.

To add to this we were fairly ignored despite a fairly quite restaurant and were not asked how our meal was. Had we not been with friends I would have walked out and not paid after the first bite.

Criminal excuse for a restaurant.

4  Thank Willloves
Reviewed 4 May 2014

What else do you have on a Sunday in York?
From the outside, this eatery begs you to have a look inside and it didn't disappoint
I liked the rustic look and yet it was simple
The staff were all friendly and efficient and the pricing was standard fair
My fiancé and I both went for the Sunday Roast with the obligatory Yorkshire pud
The roasties were tasty........and that's all I could say that was positive
The beef was dry and tasteless (wish I asked for horseradish or mustard to give it some spark) and the all important gravy may just as well have been brown water for all the good it did
Veg was over cooked and the Yorkshire was standard.......I've had better down south!
Not the best review for what is a nice place, but I can only judge on what I ate that day and I wish I plumped for the haddock and chips now instead as that looked far more appetizing