“Not as remembered....”

Ranked #122 of 929 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We visited here in July and I must say we were mostly disappointed with our meals.
Out of three of us, one was happy, one so-so and the other was very disappointed.
Firstly, when at the bar ordering our drinks prior to perusing the menus, the bar man would not start a tab, which seems the natural thing to do as you can then tot up your bill at the end with drinks and all. However, my son was told gruffly that it was not to be!
We ordered a mixed grill, a steak pie with mash and a chilli and rice.... The mixed grill was huge and went down well with my husband. He thoroughly enjoyed it. My steak pie came as a smallish slab ( I was expecting one in its own individual dish topped with pastry, so was a bit disappointed at that), absolutely smothered in far too much, what I call artificial gravy, carrots, mashed potatoes and another vegetable. My meal was okay, but nothing to enthuse about. Our son's meal was the chilli and it was very disappointing hardly any chilli kick in the meat, not much chilli on the plate which laid separate to the rice and a good third of the plate was salad, which he doesn't eat!
After another drink apiece (2 sodas and a beer), we left paying just over £50... The bar man was still miserable when we left so all in all it was a miserable affair!
By the way, a lady who sat next to us, left a Disney bag filled with a cardigan and whatever.We handed it in over the bar to the man who stood over the top of us all in that end of the pub, he didn't seem impressed! A good ten minutes or more the lady rushing in looking for her bag, we directed her to the bar, she took it from the bar man, and never said thank you to him or us for handing it in....I think there must be something in the water down there! Hey ho! Needless to say we won't be returning soon.

1  Thank Lemonmerangue

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I go to york many times a year on business and this is my favourite pub not only the atmosphere and uneven floors , the skeleton sitting at the bar its also amazing stories of the past great beer and the food if u are hungry you wont be dissapointed the portions are huge and its right across from the shambles ! What could be better ?

Reviewed 24 July 2014

There are many offerings of food in York, go here, it is great. The menu is varied enough to suit everyone and the food was SO good. Fresh, hot, tasty, interesting. Satisfying on so many levels. Atmosphere of the physical place with it's old sloped floors, peculiar shape and low ceilings is brilliant. The staff were all really friendly, the hand-pulled ale excellent.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Never ceases to satisfy - excellent all round choice. Good food, good beer and good entertainment (The Y Street Band)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We visited the Golden Fleece in March 2014 and we're extremely disappointed. My friends and I love spooky places and were really excited to visit as it has been featured on the TV show Most Haunted.
Upon arrival, the found the pub is MUCH smaller than anticipated but this didn't put us off so we ventured inside.
The smell is the first thing that you are greeted with as soon as you walk in. The whole place smells of old beer and greasy food - not quite what we were expecting. The first bar you walking into is very small with all tables packed tightly together. Was a little bit of an obstacle course to get to the bar however every seat was filled. We tried to venture into the back bar however we're told we could not sit here unless we ordered food. Based on the smell of grease, I wasn't prepared to buy any meals here!
We returned to the first bar and there wasn't room for any bar stools next to the bar, so we would of had to stand. Standing would have been ok, but there wasn't even room to stand at the bar as such as we would have been in people's way.
The atmosphere was flat and there was really nothing to the Golden Fleece so we decided to leave.
I expected a lovely old fashioned pub which had a good if not a little creepy atmosphere however we were greeted with a tired, smelly pub with no seats. Totally disappointed and will not return

3  Thank KirstiAnderson