“Charming, quirky, friendly pub”
Review of The Golden Fleece

The Golden Fleece
Ranked #120 of 909 Restaurants in York
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I loved this pub, with it's crooked walks and wonky floors. We stayed in York for 2 days and visited The Golden Fleece 3 times, twice in the evening and once for lunch, the food was so good, the ales are great and in the evening there is such a nice atmosphere, on one of the nights there was live music, two guys singing with guitars, they were fantastic.
I did kinda want to see or experience something ghostly, I did see lots of spirits whilst there but unfortunately only the bottles behind the bar kind, I talked to one of the bar maids about any goings on and heard a few stories, it was suggested I come again and stay in one of their rooms, don't think I'm brave enough for that though.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend ordered Sunday lunch after pondering for a while where to eat as there is that much choice in York.

We ordered two beef dinners and I will start with the positives first. You get a large plate and a large portion of beef. Positives over...

Now the negatives. The mash potatoe was 'Smash', the Yorkshire puddings were 'Aunt Bessies' which you wouldn't mind if you were paying £6 or £7 but they are charging double that.

So overall very disappointing.

1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My favourite place to eat in York. Great pub grub. Great for a drink too. Spooky history included!

Lovely outside area if it is nice weather too

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We visited here in July and I must say we were mostly disappointed with our meals.
Out of three of us, one was happy, one so-so and the other was very disappointed.
Firstly, when at the bar ordering our drinks prior to perusing the menus, the bar man would not start a tab, which seems the natural thing to do as you can then tot up your bill at the end with drinks and all. However, my son was told gruffly that it was not to be!
We ordered a mixed grill, a steak pie with mash and a chilli and rice.... The mixed grill was huge and went down well with my husband. He thoroughly enjoyed it. My steak pie came as a smallish slab ( I was expecting one in its own individual dish topped with pastry, so was a bit disappointed at that), absolutely smothered in far too much, what I call artificial gravy, carrots, mashed potatoes and another vegetable. My meal was okay, but nothing to enthuse about. Our son's meal was the chilli and it was very disappointing hardly any chilli kick in the meat, not much chilli on the plate which laid separate to the rice and a good third of the plate was salad, which he doesn't eat!
After another drink apiece (2 sodas and a beer), we left paying just over £50... The bar man was still miserable when we left so all in all it was a miserable affair!
By the way, a lady who sat next to us, left a Disney bag filled with a cardigan and whatever.We handed it in over the bar to the man who stood over the top of us all in that end of the pub, he didn't seem impressed! A good ten minutes or more the lady rushing in looking for her bag, we directed her to the bar, she took it from the bar man, and never said thank you to him or us for handing it in....I think there must be something in the water down there! Hey ho! Needless to say we won't be returning soon.

1  Thank Lemonmerangue
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I go to york many times a year on business and this is my favourite pub not only the atmosphere and uneven floors , the skeleton sitting at the bar its also amazing stories of the past great beer and the food if u are hungry you wont be dissapointed the portions are huge and its right across from the shambles ! What could be better ?