“Cosy, comfortable, clean and stylish”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in York
London
“Cosy, comfortable, clean and stylish”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

First stay in a hotel du vin and we weren't disappointed. We arrived past midnight, were given a warm welcome and shown to our room. Lovely rooms, comfy beds, powerful showers, and even had an expresso maker. Slept like a log and woke up to a tasty breakfast in the bistro. Only stayed a night but would happily have stayed longer. Will definitely be making a return visit.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The Hotel was everything promised by the H d V website, and more. Overall It was expensive, but there was no attempt to gloss over any costs, and in any event we were prepared to pay for first class service to celebrate. Staff in reception, housekeeping and the bistro were friendly and helpful at all times. The room was of a high standard, on the first floor at the front of the building, with effective double glazing. Amenities and location were superb.
No negative impressions to offer.

London
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The staff are an absolute credit to this hotel , from the moment we arrived at check in Emily and Leanne were attentive , responsive and utterly professional. This high level of service was equalled by the maitre d and bar staff .
Some of best service ever. Cant recommend this place high enough .

• Stayed July 2011
Oxted, Surrey, U.K.
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We had an amazing stay here. Our room was excellent - beautifully decorated (not an ounce of hotel-chinz) and really comfortable. The staff were unbelievable - really excellent service. The restaurant was lovely too. The only people that didn't quite live up to the otherwise superb experience were the ladies serving breakfast who didn't seem as thrilled to be there but this was a minor thing.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Always enjoyed fantastic service. Kind & thoughtful staff. Rooms excellent, clean, comfortable & secure. Wonderful food & there are never any problems with provision of high quality coffee.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

It is a newly decorated, modern hotel, I d give you that. However it was lacking the service/substance. The room I got checked in was just behind the bar so I could hear glasses smashed around and could easily smell food.

Then 20 mins later I realised the wifi did not work in my room. A staff came in to help and confirmed that it was not working. He left then asked for help, and asked me to wait.

I said if we could switch room and a lady at the reception just again said you had to wait.

Eventually they backed down and agreed to move me to another room (!). However it was a much smaller room than I had in the first place. Luckily there is no smell of food or kitchen noises.

I am not too sure about the service either. I had an ultra light Rimowa suitcase with hardly any stuff in it and it has the best suitcase wheels in the world to be moved around( it was practically empty and lighter than my handbag ) The reception lady did offer to take it but so reluctant that I found it a bit embarrassing.

Just before I changed my room I had taken a shower - so I was in a silk dressing gown ( perfect to be worn outside of bedroom ) before we moved room the reception lady checked with me twice as to whether I want to be seen like that going across the hall way. I can assure you it wasnt a nice reminder - ultimately it was not because of me that I had to change room just after taken a shower but a wifi problem.

The next morning when I checked out the reception staff asked me about my stay - I thought I d just mention the internet problem and the fact that I got moved to a smaller room. However the lady ( different one) just shook in disbelief that the internet could not have stopped working. I had to spend 3 mins trying to convince her that was the case. Her explanation on the room was also very dry.

I am actually on a long term business stay so potentially would stay till the end of the year - I am a bit disappointed with my stay and have moved to other hotels ever since.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Nuneaton
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We chose this hotel to celebrate a birthday, and were delighted when the hotel upgraded us to higher standard room to celebrate the birthday !! The staff were incredibly helpful throughout our stay, and simply couldn't do enough for you. Our room was split over two levels, with a walk in shower and stand alone bath, the only minor downside was the damp smell in the toilet, located downstairs. The bistro is first class, expensive I guess, but you won't find better.... The bar is relatively small, but it is in character with the hotel, and does the job perfectly. You can walk easily into York, and the hotel is easy to find. Overall, we'll be using Hotel Du Vin again - top stuff.