“Hotel a pleasure, bistro a no go”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We booked this hotel quite a few months in advance and was looking for a pleasant visit to York, which we had. The hotel was located approx 15-20 minutes leisurely walk into the town centre and boasted a lovely welcome, reasonable car parking charges £10 (24 hrs) and friendly staff.

Our room was adjacent to the main building, we were escorted by a young lady on reception and shown into our room. The room was light and airy, clean and nice decor. The sumptious bathroom (open plan) overlooking the bedroom was immaculate (okay if your not shy and like sharing bathroom experiences)!

The bar area was well stocked with a good selection of fine wines, the bar tender was pleasant and obviously knew his wines, as he tended to our pre-meal drinks. Extremely helpful, wish we could say the same about adjoining bistro.

We were shown to our table and given the menus, we would have like to have been shown the wine list before ordering and asked for a little more time. The table seemed to be so small it couldn't accomodate our overly-sized menus and other condiments. The service all seemed rushed and too hectic for our liking. The chap behind us was already making a complaint about his meat dish and we thought that didn't sound good. We ordered starters which arrived within minutes and with mixed reactions, the main followed suit (some 25 mins later) and again with mixed feelings. The fishcake that my partner ordered was huge, bland and full of water (we're still looking for the crab that was supposed to be the main ingredient) and the vegetables horrendously undercooked to the point of being raw!!!

We mentioned all of this to the waitress (who seemed genuinely uninterested) who offered us a free coffee and dessert, which we declined as didn't want to risk another meal. They eventually decided to not charge us for one of the starters, side dishes and both main meals, which we thought was the least they could do.

We assumed that with us still finishing our wine they'd have waited until we left before they had a discussion with each other about our complaint. A very disappointing meal considering the other side of the hotel was good quality and value for money. If you are considering eating at the bistro we would recommend an alternative in the town centre, as you may be disappointed.

We would go back to the hotel, but would find other places to eat (KFC perhaps)!

2  Thank leafy1911

Reviewed 9 May 2012

This was our second visit to the hotel and was the perfect way to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. We were upgraded to the De Trafford Junior Suite which was a real treat. The room has Bose surround sound, roll top bath in the bedroom and the largest shower I've ever seen. From when we arrived at the hotel to when we checked out the service that we received was second to none. In particular I'd like to mention the young sommelier who has a never ending knowledge and enthusiasm and will not fail to pick the perfect cocktail, wine, beer... etc to suit you. The evening meal in the bistro was also very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this hotel for the ultimate indulgent and relaxing experience, we will definitely keep on coming back.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Great room, spacious with the de rigeur claw foot bath. The food was up to the expected standard but I just didn't feel wowed enough by the service. The staff ranged from polished professionals to pleasant amateurs. At this level I expect better service and a greater level of anticipation rather than having to ask for things.

1  Thank Buckingtonroo
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at Hotel Du Vin in York on the Sunday of the May Day Bank Holiday weekend.
The hotel looks absolutley beautiful, very stylish.
Check in was seemless and the staff were very friendly. We arrived at the hotel at around 12pm so that we could make sure we got parked in the small car park to the rear of the hotel and although our room was not ready we were allowed to check in and told our room would be ready at around 3. They even offered to store any luggage until we returned. We did hear one guest questioning the £10 charge for parking but having lived in York in the past I know how expensive it can be to park in the city.
The hotel is about 15 mins walk from the main shopping street in York and about 5 mins walk from the train station.
Our room was situated in the annexe and a member of the recpetion staff showed us to it and also pointed out the bar, bistro etc. At first sight we were impressed with the room, a Nespesso machine, big fluffy bathrobes, mini bar filled with champagne and wine and lots of info about the hotel and York in general. The bathroom was very hot and surprisingly large. The toilet had a seat but no lid, which we found quite strange, and the flush was hanging out of the wall. I thought I was going to break it! Loads of free toiletries but no surface to put your own toiletries! I also had a prolem finding somewhere to do my hair and make up. Once I had used the bathroom it was full of steam and there was not a bright light in the bedroom close enough to the mirror to get ready! There was so much stuff on the small desk that I found it difficult to find somewhere to put our own things.
You could not close one set of curtains without pulling out the desk and moving the Nespresso!
The pillows were so soft I had to fold one in half to get any support. Even though we turned the heating down the room was so hot when we were trying to sleep. My husband was ill and had to get up several times during the night to splash cold water on his face.
We were both really looking forward to breakfast, having stayed in Malmaison a few times we were expecting more of the same but we were both really disappointed. My husband chose smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and I went for Eggs Benedict.The smoked salmon and eggs were just plonked on the plate and the poached eggs on my Eggs Benedict were like cold bullets. No presentaion at all, very disappointing and no idea how they can charge £15 for it!
We were lucky enough to stay at the hotel at a discounted rate which included breakfast but I would not be happy if I had paid the full £220 that other people were paying.
A rather disappointing stay especially as we were expecting something special from this hotel. Such a shame as the hotel looks absolutely beautiful and the staff were very friendly.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

We have just returned from an overnight stay at this lovely Hotel.
From the great staff who always greeted you with a friendly smile, the lovely rooms and the fantastic food, we couldn't have asked for more.
David, the Manager introduced himself to us as we were sitting having a drink and spent a few minutes telling us about the history of the Hotel and although the Hotel was very busy later on in the evening he went out of his way asking us about our day.
All in all a very pleasant twenty four hours. We only wish that it could have been longer.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We went as a couple for an overnight stay based on the reviews here and were far from disappointed.
-Courteous and very friendly staff, eager to help with all aspects of the stay
-We were upgraded to the luxury suite for free
-The room was spotless and everything was top quality. Two fantastic baths, a brilliant shower and the bed was MASSIVE and very comfy.
-The hotel itself is situated close to the centre, only a short walk away from York Minster, the shambles and the rest of the centre.
Overall, a fantastic stay and we'll be looking to try their hotels in other cities soon.

Room Tip: Moet Vintage Collection suite was fantastic, see if you can get a cheeky upgrade!
1  Thank alex_u_85
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I love the brand Hotel du Vin, This one was great BUT it had a few issues.
We stayed in the De Trafford JUNIOR SUITE. It was a fabulous room well equipped, including two spare packs of Durex in the bedside cabinet!!! I enquired with staff and they were embarrassed that house keeping had not sufficiently checked the room before our stay!! Lesser mortals would have been mortified, we laughed but it is a sign of a job not quite well done.On to the other aspects of the room, great huge duble ended bath, ginormous walk in rainforest shower, huge comfortable bed, loads of wardrobe space, a chaise longue and armchair, all round very comfortable.
Brreakfast is of course extra and whilst they turn out a good breakfast again a few issues, the waitress cleang down a table next to ours was so manically driven to get it done pronto, that she sprayed and then covered me with the cleaning fluid!! Fortunately I was only in Jeans.
I had to tell waiting staff, that the side plates next to the buffet were all greasy and dirty! I checked 12 plates , all yucky.Small matters but they make the difference between good and amazing.Come on Hotel du Vin , I know you can do better.

Room Tip: Dom Perignon and De Trafford junior suites in attic/ eaves no good for very tall guys, but great for...