“Excellent hotel and restaurant for a weekend break - or longer if you're lucky!”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in York
Newcastle
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed at the hotel du vin on one of their Bistro, Bed and Breakfast packages which offers excellent value. As regular travellers with both business and leisure this was one of the best hotels we have stopped at for the overall service. The significant points for us were :- All the staff from those on reception through to the bar and restaurant were attentive, friendly and helpful, the food for both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant was of excellent quality and the hotel rooms of a very high standard.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

Whilst working away, I always like to try and find a hotel in which i am comfortable with as I stay there a few times in one week, so its always a pleasure to be somewhere nice. BUT...This hotel is way more than I expected! The quaint however upmarket feel you get as you enter doesn't even prepare you for the quality of what's to come. It has a modern but rustic feel, with a traditional twist making it ideal being in such a historic but busy city of York. The rooms are modern and the bathrooms are outstanding and the luxury feel you get is such a treat. The staff are friendly, more than polite and well spoken, engaging in light conversation with you to make you feel so welcome and relaxed! The restaurant is a complete delight! The food is exceptional and i was very very impressed with the young man who educated me on wine suggestions, he even remembered what I drank, wrote them down if I wanted to enjoy them in the future. Outstanding. Theres many, many things I could say in this review but in these circumstances I urge you to trust this and try for yourself. I have stayed in many upmarket hotels but this has to be one of the best stays I have ever had. You will have to experience it just to know the feeling it gives you........I hope, if you are a lover of the finer things in life, for your sake, you do.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
durham uk
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This is an almost faultless hotel,with exceptional service,rooms,food,and location.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We had dinner at the restaurant recently and it seemed to us to have gone downmarket. The waitresses' greetings were intrusive ('How are you today?', 'Have you had a good day?', etc.). Spare cutlery was not cleared from the table. Crumbs were not cleared off between courses. Although the tables are a good distance apart the restaurant can still be very noisy. Our lemon sole main course was OK but was far too fatty. The puddings were better - a very good tarte au citron and some excellent sorbets (e.g. mango and coconut). It's expensive. The double espressos were good. A service charge is already added to the bill. I don't like that. I prefer to make up my own mind about a tip,

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed here for one night over a bank holiday for my husbands 40th birthday. It was quite expensive but you certainly get what you pay for and the hotel was cheaper than some of the other leading hotels in the area. The staff were very attentive and the hotel and rooms were beautifully presented with bespoke fixtures and fittings using the hotels traditional features with some contemporary ones. We stayed in a room with a roll top bath in and then a separate bathroom which was huge and immaculate. The walk to the centre of York is about 10 minutes and therefore at night we felt it was best to eat in their bistro as we weren't bothered about going into town. We certainly weren't disappointed as the food was amazing! We loved the whole experience and would definitely recommend the hotel as it was beautiful and very well ran.

Room Tip: larger rooms are more expensive but the extra space and facilities are worth it.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stopped off in York for one night on the way back to London. I am so glad I was not put off by the horrendous website - it really doesn't show the hotel to it's best. The building and premises were immaculately turned out. The decorations were really tasteful for the building, for such a big place, everything seems very homely and relaxing. And at the same time as us on our little weekend jaunt, there was also a wedding party being catered for - and their big event didn't tarnish our stay at all. There is room for everyone.
The service from the staff was top notch. I had an excellent cocktail in the bar. Our breakfast was perfect. The rooms themselves were lovely, a good size... The only thing my boyfriend could complain about was the aspect ratio wasn't perfect on the TV! He said for the level of hotel it should be sorted. I would definitely stay there again despite this tragedy. :)
The mini bar had an interesting selection of drinks - champagne, beer, snacks and Nespresso machine in every room. Bathrooms had under floor heating and huge shower roses.
We didn't eat at the restaurant so cannot comment on the dinner, but highly recommended!

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed here for a Sunday night when seeing friends.

We opted for a special offer where the room was £100, unless you spent £75 or more in the restaurant and then it was reduced to £25. Obviously, we took advantage and had a fantastic three course dinner with drinks.

Compared to other £100 hotels in the city, if you can get this offer, great, if not, I would still stay here if you can.

Moo.