“A lovely time spoilt”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My partner treated me to a concert and an overnight stop over at a luxury Hotel in York on for my birthday. This was booked many weeks in advance. We arrived at 3.15pm to this beautiful listed Hotel Du Vin, expecting the room(Raoul Collet) to be ready which it wasn't, We were asked to sit in the lounge whilst it was being prepared. We waited about 20 minutes, did not get a complimentary drink for the inconvenience but had to purchase one ourselves at a total exorbitant price. When taken to the room we found it was absolutely freezing and extra heaters had to be provided. We then had to sit on the bed until the room warmed up as the room had no chairs? On checking the room it was lovely and the bathroom top notch. There were drink making facilities but that was all. Anything else wanted was at a high cost. There was not even a biscuit provided to have with the tea/coffee. The next morning was a disappointment, breakfast was continental, if you wanted anything else it would have cost £16 + for a variety of options. Naturally this was not taken up. One must remember this Hotel is charging prices per night of £209! but not providing a reflective service. The staff were great and helpful but the company owning the Hotel need to look at what they are offering as a package, as I have had a better facilities at a B & B. Would I go again not on your nelly!

Room Tip: Try the IBIS next door you will probably find it better and not have the feeling you have been rippe...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidMacdonaldHDV, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Peter S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. I am sorry that your room was not ready for arrival and further that you where not offered a drink while you where waiting, I can assure you that this element of service will be improved upon.

Again I apologise for your room not being warm when you arrived, being such an old building we do suffer with the changeable weather and would usually have the rooms warmed up prior to guests entering, however I appreciate that this was not done for you on this occasion.

Our rooms do have all the modern facilities that we feel our guests need from decent hairdryers, steam irons, brand new TV's and Nespresso machines. We do not however have biscuits, although if you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to add a note to your guest profile to ensure that all your future bookings will be provided with this.

Thank you for your kind comments about the team and service, I would be interested to know what facilities you feel a B&B has that we do not. If you find time to message me I would greatly appreciate this.

Best regards

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have just returned from our annual York shopping trip with some friends, this is the first time we have stayed at Hotel du Vin York, we had 3 standard rooms which we found very comfortable. We had booked a dinner, bed and breakfast rate and although we checked 3 times in the restaurant whether there were any supplements for anything on the menu we were assured each time our rate included anything off the menu, on checkout a supplement charge had been added to each of our bills, however the chap on reception was brilliant and with no fuss at all these charges were removed. From the moment we arrived we found the staff to be fantastic and this really makes this hotel a bit special!

We are already looking at our trip for next year and Hotel du Vin could be a serious contender for a repeat visit.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Jenny B

Thank you for writing a review after your stay with us. Its great to read that the team really looked after you and you are more than welcome to return, we have some great deals on line for January.

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night in the Moët Chandon vintage suite which was amazing , laying in the two baths watching rugby sipping champagne was a truly magical experience .
The bed was huge and the shower was the best ever .
Only sad things was not enough coffee in the room ( scared to ask for more due to cost !!)
The breakfast was a massive let down and felt that this could have been a lot better e.g choice .
The crockery was very standard, and cutlery was a low grade 18-0 parish pattern -Harley, which we were disappointed with and expected a higher grade.

• Stayed: November 2013
DavidMacdonaldHDV, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear cheryl w

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay. Our main suite is lovely and the twin roll top baths facing the TV make a fun addition to the room.

I am sorry that you ran out of the Nespresso capsules, it is actually complimentary for all our guests, as is the quarter pint of milk to go with it and we would always be happy to refill as much as needed!

We usually get great feedback about our breakfasts; I would really appreciate it if you would email me directly with how you feel we could improve it though. Also, your thoughts on what kind of cutlery would fit our brand would be appreciated, we are always interested in our guests thoughts.

I hope you have a great winter and do hope you will return to us in the future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Still staying here. Nothing to write home about. Room above kitchen (may be because it's the only twin?) noisy. Staff very kind beforehand sorting out best room with disabled access but omitted to tell us there's no lift. That'll teach us to assume there was. Not mentioned on website.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Karenmoc

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you have not had an amazing experience and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. If you could contact me directly I would be happy to call you at a time that suits.

I would also like to thank for sharing your positive comments about the team.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

The service was fantastic, all the staff were very polite and accommodating, giving us a map and recommending places to visit. However, for what I paid, I felt, although beautifully furnished, the room was quite small, just enough room to fit the bed and a small walking space around it, I was hoping for it to look a bit more like the rooms they advertise on the website, maybe we were just unfortunate! They did seem to be quite busy the weekend we visited. Also I don't think its great that they charge £10 per 24 hours at the hotel, I think this should be free when you book a room

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jade W

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of us online. I'm glad the reception team helped you out with finding your way around, with so much to do in York it’s easy to miss amazing sites.

We have a large variety of rooms around the hotel, I am sorry you found yours on the small side.

It does cost £10 to park in our car park which I do feel is fair considering the charges generally around York and it helps us ensure that our hotel guests always have a space to park (of course not everyone drives). I do appreciate your feedback on this charge.

I hope you have a great festive season and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Best regards

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Hotel is in a good location - around 10 minute walk from the city centre and shops/restaurants. Room was comfortable and well-appointed. Breakfast a little steep (more like London prices) but couldn't fault the food I had. Staff are excellent - very helpful and accommodating and if you arrive or happen to wander by reception around 6 pm, there are usually some goodies the chef has cooked going free...
Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear TickyToc

Thanks for posting your review online. Glad you had a comfortable stay with us and thank you your kind comments about the team.

We do like to wet the appetite of our guests with little treats on the desk (tonight is mince pies).

I hope you got to see some of Yorks many attractions while working here, if not we often run great deals on Sunday nights which are worth checking out on our website.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just spent 2 nights here. We didn't upgrade (email was sent after booking offering reduced price upgrade) & just had a standard room. Room had everything we wanted/needed but wasn't huge. All staff very polite, attentive & efficient. We ate in the Bistro first evening, food good although both dishes I wanted had sold through! Drinks in the large 'conservatory' bar the 2nd eve were not cheap but room was comfortable & we had a good time. It is a walk into town but we spent £6 on a car park in the city on Friday just for 3 hours so £10/24 hours parking is ok! Was disappointed city walls closed on day we wanted to walk them - obviously not hotel's fault but maybe something to check in advance if it's something you want to do.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gill W

Thanks for posting a review of the hotel. Sorry that we sold out of the dishes you intended to have, I do hope that there was enough choice left for you.

I am glad you had a good time with us, its a shame about the city walls being closed, I guess you have a good reason to come back! Email me directly if you do.

Many Thanks