“Perfect stay”

Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Norfolk
“Perfect stay”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Had a great time here once again. This hotel gets everything right- welcoming and friendly receptionists, great food, wine and service in the bistro, comfortable beds, lovely showers.....Yes I am a fan but when a hotel gets it so right it would be churlish not to be!
At least our third visit - I wish we could stay more often!

1 Thank Minnou
DavidMacdonaldHDV, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Minnou

Thanks for a lovely review. Its great when we have our regular guests who keep coming back leave positive feedback. I always feel that consistency is a true marker for how a business performs and glad to read that you feel we achieve this.

If there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable when you visit, please let us know.

Many Thanks

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We go to york 4 times a year and usually stay at Hotel Noir but wanted to try something closer to the center and somewhere different. We booked in and got the upgrade to the superior room. The room was great, the heated floor in the bathroom was nice, and generally a lovely place to stay. The staff were more than happy to advise us on where we could go, and very approachable. We did have a problem with the drains, where the room filled with an egg smell after my girlfriend had a bath however once I mentioned this to the receptionist she assured me while we were out that someone would sort this. We didn't dare have a bath afterwards in case it hadn't worked.

Overall a nice stay, the bar isn't cheap but if you're treating yourself to a nice weekend, its a good place to stay. Would probably venture back here for a good weekend.

Room Tip: We had the superior, it was big enough, had great bathroom facilities and the bed was a nice comfort...
1 Thank Gaz J
Dear Gaz J

Thanks for the review and thanks for staying with us. Not sure as to why there was a strange smell but we have had professionals investigate and not had any reoccurrence since but sorry this affected you.

York is a great place to visit with so much happening throughout the year; we hope to see you again.

Many thanks

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel overnight and was in one of the junior suites. It was a nice room and well equipped although as there were no room agendas I didn't know how to use a number of the nice little extras. There was the nice touch of the bath in the room and a lovely overhead shower.

The room doesn't have that great lighting and I did struggle to sleep on soft feather pillows.

The bistro however leaves a lot to be desired, for my evening meal the steak was not cooked as ordered meaning my partner had finished his by the time my replacement arrived, and in the morning I treated myself to eggs benedict making sure it was known that I wanted it with bacon not salmon as I'm allergic to salmon, needless to say I was firstly given salmon.

Just a few small moments to pay attention to the little details and the hotel would have been great.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear yorkstravelgirl

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. The junior suites are lovely rooms, quite cozy I feel but perhaps not the most suitable for a business traveller. Sorry to read that the Bistro experience did not live up to our high standards. The breakfast mistake is inexcusable and I am sorry.

Hope to see you again.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My partner treated me to a concert and an overnight stop over at a luxury Hotel in York on for my birthday. This was booked many weeks in advance. We arrived at 3.15pm to this beautiful listed Hotel Du Vin, expecting the room(Raoul Collet) to be ready which it wasn't, We were asked to sit in the lounge whilst it was being prepared. We waited about 20 minutes, did not get a complimentary drink for the inconvenience but had to purchase one ourselves at a total exorbitant price. When taken to the room we found it was absolutely freezing and extra heaters had to be provided. We then had to sit on the bed until the room warmed up as the room had no chairs? On checking the room it was lovely and the bathroom top notch. There were drink making facilities but that was all. Anything else wanted was at a high cost. There was not even a biscuit provided to have with the tea/coffee. The next morning was a disappointment, breakfast was continental, if you wanted anything else it would have cost £16 + for a variety of options. Naturally this was not taken up. One must remember this Hotel is charging prices per night of £209! but not providing a reflective service. The staff were great and helpful but the company owning the Hotel need to look at what they are offering as a package, as I have had a better facilities at a B & B. Would I go again not on your nelly!

Room Tip: Try the IBIS next door you will probably find it better and not have the feeling you have been rippe...
Dear Peter S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. I am sorry that your room was not ready for arrival and further that you where not offered a drink while you where waiting, I can assure you that this element of service will be improved upon.

Again I apologise for your room not being warm when you arrived, being such an old building we do suffer with the changeable weather and would usually have the rooms warmed up prior to guests entering, however I appreciate that this was not done for you on this occasion.

Our rooms do have all the modern facilities that we feel our guests need from decent hairdryers, steam irons, brand new TV's and Nespresso machines. We do not however have biscuits, although if you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to add a note to your guest profile to ensure that all your future bookings will be provided with this.

Thank you for your kind comments about the team and service, I would be interested to know what facilities you feel a B&B has that we do not. If you find time to message me I would greatly appreciate this.

Best regards

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from our annual York shopping trip with some friends, this is the first time we have stayed at Hotel du Vin York, we had 3 standard rooms which we found very comfortable. We had booked a dinner, bed and breakfast rate and although we checked 3 times in the restaurant whether there were any supplements for anything on the menu we were assured each time our rate included anything off the menu, on checkout a supplement charge had been added to each of our bills, however the chap on reception was brilliant and with no fuss at all these charges were removed. From the moment we arrived we found the staff to be fantastic and this really makes this hotel a bit special!

We are already looking at our trip for next year and Hotel du Vin could be a serious contender for a repeat visit.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Jenny B

Thank you for writing a review after your stay with us. Its great to read that the team really looked after you and you are more than welcome to return, we have some great deals on line for January.

Best Regards

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night in the Moët Chandon vintage suite which was amazing , laying in the two baths watching rugby sipping champagne was a truly magical experience .
The bed was huge and the shower was the best ever .
Only sad things was not enough coffee in the room ( scared to ask for more due to cost !!)
The breakfast was a massive let down and felt that this could have been a lot better e.g choice .
The crockery was very standard, and cutlery was a low grade 18-0 parish pattern -Harley, which we were disappointed with and expected a higher grade.

• Stayed November 2013
DavidMacdonaldHDV, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear cheryl w

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay. Our main suite is lovely and the twin roll top baths facing the TV make a fun addition to the room.

I am sorry that you ran out of the Nespresso capsules, it is actually complimentary for all our guests, as is the quarter pint of milk to go with it and we would always be happy to refill as much as needed!

We usually get great feedback about our breakfasts; I would really appreciate it if you would email me directly with how you feel we could improve it though. Also, your thoughts on what kind of cutlery would fit our brand would be appreciated, we are always interested in our guests thoughts.

I hope you have a great winter and do hope you will return to us in the future.

Many thanks

Scotland
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Still staying here. Nothing to write home about. Room above kitchen (may be because it's the only twin?) noisy. Staff very kind beforehand sorting out best room with disabled access but omitted to tell us there's no lift. That'll teach us to assume there was. Not mentioned on website.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Karenmoc

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you have not had an amazing experience and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. If you could contact me directly I would be happy to call you at a time that suits.

I would also like to thank for sharing your positive comments about the team.

Best Regards