“Lovely Christmas Day with family” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in York
Durham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Christmas Day with family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I read the previous posts and as I usually wait a while before I post to be more rational in case my review is coloured by other experiences I decided to post straight away. I heartily agree about Christmas Eve. The food then left a lot to be desired with sprouts like bullets damp and warm carrots and truly dreadful roast potatoes. I had the pumpkin tarte fine where three slivers of uncooked pumpkin were placed on a circle of pastry on a bed of tired salad. The starter of smoked salmon was fine, my husbands steak was fine.
We both felt quite anxious about the Christmas lunch for The Day itself but needn't have worried I think the chef must have been off the previous day. Everything worked very well. The front of house staff were all very efficient and pleasant. The apprentice sommelier did very well with our selection of wines and the meal went off without a hitch. We had young family and the plates were cleared attentively so we did not have bored little people with us.
We enjoyed our accommodation very much. Having stayed in the hotel before we knew what to expect and were pleased to be able to pay for an upgrade as we had booked a standard room. Apart from the chefs day off on Christmas Eve my only other quibble was the lack of lid to the loo seat. Is this a new trend?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Checked in here after a night in a budget hotel in York (which shall remain nameless), and found the usual level of high standard(s) across the board which make HDV the best 'lux' chain in the UK at the moment, in my opinion. Friendly staff and efficient check-in resulted in us being shown to a room with all the usual accompaniments from HDV. Excellent bed, luxurious sheets and well appointed room with air-conditioning. We stayed in the Minster block. Didn't eat here but bar service was friendly, courteous and quick. The damage ? £129 for the Saturday night pre-xmas, and at the price we would return undoubtedly.

Room Tip: Stay in the MInster block, separate to the main hotel. Was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, trip only dampened by not being able to get a meal on the night, allegedly full. Chose a suite as anniversary and everything on offer an more. Receptionists bit to smiley smiley, but very pleasant. Perfect position but beware the car park charges

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Been a few times but most recently for lunch on Thursday. Place not overly busy. Staff prompt, helpful, genuine and chatty. Rob looked after us & he was excellent. We picked from Xmas menu.. I had smoked salmon, turkey, then chic pot. All tasty & nicely presented. Friend veggie & she had figs with Gorgonzola then pumpkin veggie dish for main which she enjoyed. Only thing I would say is wine by glass very expensive. Otherwise all excellent :-)

• Stayed December 2013
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night by accident, the hotel ( just up the road) had double booked me, so they sent me here. Absolutely faultless staff, couldn't do enough for you. Beautiful room.

Thanks for an unexpected stay

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

My husband proposed to me at this hotel in 2012 so when we came to book the wedding there was only one place we could think of. This hotel is brilliant. The building is fabulous but what really makes it special is the people. David, the manager, runs this place so well and every member of staff we have met on all our visits to the hotel has been so helpful.

If you are looking for relaxed, laid back luxury then look no further. You will be given a warm welcome without stuffy, intrusive staff. They truly will do everything to make your stay special. The night before our wedding they even gave my husband the same room as we stayed in before. Little touches that show they care and want you to enjoy your stay.

We will be back very soon for more perfect times.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Amazing can't think of anythig we Wernt happy with !! We stopped there lastnight was took upto our room , The place is soo different from any luxury hotel it's a step above the rest ! They hav done everything and do everything perfectly ! We was just taking everything in for first half hour ! We stopped in a junior suite
-De Trafford -
Walk in shower - I took 4 showers ! The bathroom is a large wet room with all facilities u need from ear buds to shampoos and body lotions.
Seating areas a free standing bath
Everything is of very high quality ! Mood lighting massive bose sound system ! The room was loverly and warm during the night I had to turn it down which u can change temp yourself wich is great rather be too warm than cold. Soon turned it down... We had plenty of towels for all our showers and baths.
Hairdryer just what I needed in the draw !
We went down to the bar any staff that are around open doors for u and serve u straight away nothing is too much for them
We had pre drinks at the bar
Cocktails are been made by the girls we were given Oliver's and nuts at bar wih our drinks.
We went in for dinner the service is one to talk about !! They aren't hanging around you there sat back and come to you when they see your drink going empty ect the steak was tasty and succulent ! The fish was beautifull my chocolate orange dessert was amazing mousse with real orange pieces in. TASTE SENSATION!!
I'm glad we stayed in hotel at the night because it was just out of this work the resturant and the whole hotel has impeccable service to a very high standard ! Decor is of a very high standard !
Breakfast was just as amazing ... I can't say no more everything was perfect one night was not enough we spent our night taking it all in ! You get what you pay for and if I'm going away somewhere special "a treat" I want the best and we will certainly be returning ! Only problem is my partner wouldn't get out of the bed it was the comfiest bed he's ever spelt in! And he's traveled around the world working! In plenty of hotels ! Staff asked us when we checked in if we wanted any papers if we needed and help with baggage ect our room wasn't noisy the curtains blocked out any light, was quiet at night at took 10mins to walk into town we loved everything already looking at prices to return with friends next year !! (Please don't put your prices up! After my fantastic review ) :)) Thank you for a fantastic evening !

• Stayed December 2013