“Christmas in luxury”

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in York
London, United Kingdom
“Christmas in luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked hotel du vin for a romantic break over christmas for my fiancé and I. The hotel itself was extremely conveniently located for getting in and out of York from the motorway and included access to a big car park which is a bonus for hotels in the city. It was then a 5 minute walk to the wall of the old town and nice bars and restaurants along the water ten-fifteen minutes way which could be walked along the wall itself!
The hotel itself was luxurious and our room was much bigger and more beautiful than we had anticipated. The staff had really gone the extra mile and had a local Yorkshire beer on ice for my fiancé which was requested (and forgotten about by me) when I initially booked. The bathroom was huge with lovely deep bronze bath and walk-in power shower and the bed was extremely comfortable with newspaper outside our door when we came out in the morning.
The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and down to earth especially the lady on reception on the 23rd when we arrived to check-in. Even offering us an umbrella for our walk.
The bistro although expensive had beautiful and well cooked steaks and a special atmosphere that added to our romantic break. I would highly recommend this hotel to couples and can't wait to return next time we visit England!

Room Tip: We went for the superior room which was fantastic with huge bath! Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed here on the 3rd of January for my wife's 50th Birthday. I hired the Library for private dining.
The venue was sublime, service was excellent well timed and not intrusive, food was very very good and the sommelier helped with wine selection without being pretentious. I had booked std rooms for us and friends and the hotel gave us a free upgrade. Wouldn't hesitate to return in future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SherburnFamily
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here in 2012 on Boxing Day and decided to come back in 2013 and we were not disappointed. We were upgraded to the suite right at the top of the hotel which had a huge bed which was the size of two king size beds. Two massive TV's. And a Bose surround system.Huge double rainforest shower and pedestal bath. Very comfy and cosy. meal in the evening was lovely and the rack of lamb was the tenderest we had ever tasted. Ideal location to walk in to town as it's only around 20 minutes. Breakfast was lovely and the heated courtyard is a great place for both pre and after dinner drinks. Could not really find fault apart from a bit of slow service at breakfast but nothing to complain about. Thinking of booking again for next year as it was so relaxing after the Christmas rush.

Stalybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last minute on New Year's Eve 2013 as a different hotel had let us down badly. The receptionist was fantastic and made our night with a free upgrade to a superior which was a beautiful room! This made my pregnant wife happy which made me happy, we'll definitely be staying here again and the bit extra for the superior room is soooo worth it!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel July 2012 as we had a friends recommendation. It lived up to all expectations with one of the best meals we have had for a long time. The food was simply superb as was the wine. Our wine choice was helped by the sommelier who suggested a wine that went with the food we had ordered. Our overall stay on this occasion was excellent.

So when we had the opportunity to have a children free new year we decided to treat ourselves to the New Year Package.

On arrival Michelle showed us to our room which was a suite in the Minster annexe. Great choice. The room is simply excellent, lots of room, warm, modern and very clean. The bed is nearly 9feet wide !! and very comfortable, twin baths and a massive shower with loads of hot water. two big televisions and you really couldn't want any more. The Minster block doesn't have many rooms and is separate to the main hotel so nice and quiet.

We went for dinner in the evening and unfortunately this is where the slight let down started. Our food all came in good time and we were able to order our separate courses on demand so could have a break between as we didn't want to be rushed. We weren't given much help choosing the wine and ended up with one that really didn't go well with the crab that my wife had as a starter. There didn't appear to be a sommelier this time and although the waiter tried to advise he clearly wasn't a sommelier. The starters were satisfactory but no more than that. The crab was in its shell (I can get that at Whitby beach) with cheese almost grilled on top. I had the terrine which was ok but didn't blow me away. Then came sorbet which was, well, sorbet ! Not my thing but I new it was coming so i ate it. The main disappointment was the main course. My wifes fillet steak was a generous well cooked piece but the sauce was a watery affair and no veg apart from a bit of spinach initially hidden beneath the steak. I had the venison which was considerably less generous but cooked beautifully. Fondant potatoes were ok but I could have made them myself. And no veg at all !!! Nothing. Zilch. There was an onion tartlet that was very tasty but hardly a scurvy beater. Our desserts were chocolate fondant. Now I watch Masterchef and I know from Monica that a chocolate fondant should be runny in the middle. These were microwave chocolate cakes with two scoops of ice cream to wet it up a bit. We were grateful for the ice cream as it was the only runny bit. We cant comment on the coffee as we weren't offered any even though it was included in the price. Apart from this and the lack of wine advise the table service was excellent, not intrusive at all. We left the table and asked ourselves if our meal was worthy of the £100/head we had paid. And it wasn't. Not by a long way. There was nothing there I couldn't have cooked myself. And I am a builder, not a chef. We called at the bar to get a couple of glasses of water which the barman served without even looking at us or breaking off his conversation with another member of staff.

Breakfast the following day was mostly ok. Good service like the night before. My wife had eggs benedict which was very good. I had the full english which was OK. Nice bacon, eggs, black pudding spoilt a little by stone cold mushroom and cold tomato all on a cold plate. Come on, its not hard to warm plates. We overheard the next table complaining that their boiled egg had was runny and she meant the white not the yolk! Come on, its a boiled egg for goodness sake!!

Maybe the kitchen was on reserve staff as its the holidays but if you are going to charge these prices you need a chef to match. And I'm no french speaker but I reckon if your hotel is called "Du Vin" you should at least have a sommelier to serve your £35/bottle wine.

The rest of the hotel drags this up to a "very good" rating. Michelle on the desk was chirpy, polite and very efficient. Its in a great location within easy distance to walk into the centre of York. The rooms are excellent and the general reception area is nicely decorated and subtly lit. It a nice old building not spoilt by stupid automatic or revolving doors and the like.

There is no doubt that we would stay here again but may well wander into York to look for something to eat.

One last little gripe- after spending well over £500 in less than 24hrs here is it really necessary to charge us £10 to park?

Room Tip: Choose the Minster annex for quiet but its a separate building so if you want to be near the bar cho...
Worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We enjoyed a one night stay here in mid-December as part of our three-day first wedding anniversary trip and en route home after a work's Christmas party further north. Hotel du Vin has a great atmosphere, very pleasant bar and dining area along with a small 'snug' which was a cosy place to have after-dinner coffee. As other reviewers have already commented, all the staff were very friendly, polite and helpful.

If you're a smoker, the purpose-built outdoor smoking area at the back is an excellent facility - it certainly makes for a more comfortable smoke on a rainy day!
Our ground-floor standard room in the rear annexe was a good size, with bathrobes, slippers and coffee-making facilities all provided. However, we did find it rather too warm and struggled to work out the heating controls.So with hindsight, we should have asked advice on this when shown to our room.
The hotel is ideally located for walking into the city centre and its large car park is a great bonus, despite the extra charge.
We would certainly recommend this hotel and stay again - although it's on the more expensive side, it's worth it as a treat!

Room Tip: Standard room was fine for us - but check you can understand the heating controls!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Had overnight stay 30 December and was pleasantly surprised. Venue is very boutique style, has a great restaurant and lovely bar and cosy seated areas to relax in. Rooms a decent size, amazing beds, so close to the old town of York. Front desk very polite, professional and helpful.

Concierge went above and beyond call of duty for one of our party who needed cough medicine late at night and took him in his car to the 24 hr Tesco at 2am. Amazing service!

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends