“Tired and not all that”

Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
“Tired and not all that”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Was looking forward to this for a while, was quite let down with the reality.
Overpriced, rooms need a redecoration and soft furnishings look knackered.
Reception staff were nice and helpful. Extras are not just in the mini bar, be warned, crisps, and chocolate strategically placed as "freebies" around the room are not!
Couldn't face the expensive breakfast as wanted to get home!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven H, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your constructive review of Hotel du Vin York. It was of disappointing to learn that we did not live up to expectations. I would relish the opportunity to discuss your experience first hand as I do find your comments regarding the bedroom quality surprising. Please feel free to contact me personally at the hotel in order to discuss further.

Kindest Regards

Steven Hodgkinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I have decided that after my latest experience of Hotel Du Vin I will not be staying again.

My GF treated us to a two-night break at the Hotel du Vin over New Year.

The actual hotel is what you expect from the chain; they are pretty much all the same look and feel abliet in individual and generally interesting buildings.

First let me say that on the whole the staff were excellent.... they were really polite and engaging and always trying to help. However one member of staff working on the bar was rude and sarcastic; who does he think is paying his wages?

The restaurant was chaos every morning (we stayed for 2 nights) at breakfast. I cannot blame the staff for this as they were by the looks of it understaffed (and imagine the kitchen was too). The reception staff had to come in to lend a hand (which bless them they did but it is not what they are trained to do). At no point did we see anyone from the Management Team helping out the waiters - VERY poor show.

Room Tip: Stay in the original building
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of Hotel du Vin York relating to your December stay with us. Although I was pleased to read that elements of your stay were great it was very disappointing to hear you would not be returning in the near future. I would like to offer my contact details to you and should this ever change please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel directly.

Kindest Regards,

Steven Hodgkinson
Stamford, Lincolnshire
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Myself and my husband recently spent a Sunday night in a superior room (Hartenger I believe it was called) to celebrate my birthday and it was just lovely.

The room itself was as pictured on the website; huge bed, freestanding bath in the bedroom, tasteful décor. The room faced the back so was extremely quiet and no daylight leaked through the blinds and curtains so allowed for an undisturbed sleep and lay in! The monsoon shower was brilliant and the bathroom features some lovely Miller Harris smellies.

Location wise the hotel is in a great spot, especially if you’re travelling by train as we did. Under a 5 minute walk from the station and about 10 minutes into the centre of York.

We sampled the Sunday brunch which is great value at £22.95 for 4 courses. The highlight of this was definitely the French market table where you can choose as much as you like from a delicious selection of seafood, charcuterie, salads, breads etc. It was very difficult not getting carried away and filling up with this! The breakfast the day next day was just ok but nothing to complain about.

We both really enjoyed staying here and as much as the communal areas and bedroom are wonderful, the biggest praise has to be for the service. All the staff we met were friendly and helpful and genuinely seemed to want guests to have the best time possible. A prime example of this is when we checked in and the receptionist enquired if we had plans whilst in York and my husband mentioned it was my birthday. By the time we’d walked from reception to the dining room, this information had been entered into their computer system as the maître d’ wished me a Happy Birthday as we entered the room. It’s little touches like this that make all the difference and would encourage me to recommend this hotel to any couple wanting a romantic break in this beautiful city.

We look forward to hopefully staying again soon!

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a superior room with a free standing bath in the bedroom
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed here for a night whilst on a Christmas shopping trip to the beautiful city of York.

The hotel is stylish and well appointed and the building is tastefully decorated and our two storey room was pretty unique.

We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate which was good value and we were made to feel welcome by all the staff we encountered.

So whilst there was nothing wrong at all with our stay, there just wasn't any real wow-factor, nothing that lingers in the memory as I come review it over two months later! Good not great, nice not amazing.

Would we stay again? Yes, probably.

Could there be better in this city? Well, I think when we visit again, we'd look at staying elsewhere to find out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed here for 1 night in March 2013. It was a surprise for my husband. We stayed in the Veuve Clicqout which was spectacular. It was really spacious, gorgeous huge bath and twin monsoon showers. The bath & showers were open plan into the lounge area and the the lounge area had a sofa and chair.

We also ate in the restaurant in the evening. The food we had was really nice. I had seen some mixed reports. The service was quite slow, but the atmosphere was nice and we just enjoyed ourselves. If I am honest, something would have to really spoil my stay for me to moan about it, so the service being slow might spoil it for some, but we're pretty laid back.

Breakfast isn't a full on buffet and eat as much as you want, for a hot breakfast you order this from the menu and then there's cold pastries, fruit where you can help yourself which made it really nice.

The hotel does have a really nice feel about it, there seem to be quite a few rooms, but it doesn't feel big and part of a chain.

Good location too, you're not in the middle of York, but about a 10 min stroll and it's so easy to get into and everything accessible.

We have booked to go back for my Birthday in Sept'14 - and in the same standard of room.

Room Tip: If you can stretch your budget go for a suite
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Had a meal there tonight, the food while very nice was only warm rather than hot and the service could have been better even though relatively quiet.

Expensive for what it is in my opinion, the best part of £30 for a steak that only comes with fries and a sauce. Also, £7 for a dessert was a lot for what you got .

While we enjoyed the evening we wouldn't go out of our way to return.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Du Vin for a couple of nights whilst in York for a Goddaughter's 21st birthday. My wife had stayed here before. The hotel is great and perfectly sited for York's city center. The hotel is well decorated and maintained, the rooms were really comfortable, with exceptionally hot water in a wonderful shower. All the things you would expect from a good hotel and worthy alone for a good review.

However the staff take my comments to another level; they were exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble and all done with a genuine smile. I have not seen service like this for many a long while. Our two well trained dogs came with us, that was no trouble even to the point that without a request they were given a short walk one evening by the receptionist whilst we were having dinner. Our stay was made fabulous by the staff and I commend them on their performance.

Room Tip: Pol Roger has a balcony.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends